Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 

If that shoe was not too tight when she was fitted and 10 days later, it's too tight, it sounds like her foot grew!

We had something similar a few years back. Worse part was that I had bought several pairs of shoes to get through the spring. I had thought dd's foot was done growing and then... surprise! Another 1/2 size, at least in the pointe shoes she was wearing at the time. In her case, she did not get blisters, but the back of the shoe kept slipping off when it never had before. Tried a different pair, thinking that since they are all hand made, one might be a little different and the same thing happened. It was maybe 2 weeks later when we realized that something was up. Went back to Grishko and found out she needed a 1/2 size bigger in the same shoe. 

As far as Freeds and the makers... Freed has an very extensive line of shoes. There are multiple styles and multiple shoe makers within most of those styles. So, a person really cannot say "I can't wear a Freed Classic" unless they have tried on all the makers. A fitter who fits Freed regularly will know the usual characteristics of a the different shoes from the different shoe makers and can direct the fitting in that direction, if they have the stock to do so. I shied away from Freeds for dd for a very long time and regret it a bit. I was scared off of the "maker" game and it really wasn't all that difficult to get dd's allegedly super hard to find maker. I just made a habit of calling the Freed warehouse in NY on a regular basis once her stock of shoes started to run low. I'd ask when to call back if they didn't have it in stock in her size. She also had several makers that she can wear, but prefers 2 of them over the rest... but one of those just retired. 

It's interesting because any brand that is made by hand (which is a majority) has makers as well, you just don't know them. It can explain why one pair seems a little off from another. With Grishko, the maker is written in Russian under the casing on the side of the shoe. 

Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Thank you, Tendumom. All good information to know and a lot more than I knew earlier today.

She wore her new shoes tonight and felt fine, no issues whatsoever. Her teacher feels that the shank is extra stiff for DD and will work with her to "break" it for her as they feel appropriate. As is she took class and had no problems, so that is a pleasant surprise.

So much to learn ! I really appreciate the help.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Welcome to the world of pointe, and it's shoe frustrations, lol!
I know I'm late to the game here but I just wanted to throw in my voice of agreement that things like this will likely happen and is totally par for the course. A shoe that felt great in the store may feel horrible after the first class. A shoe that fits perfectly may only last two classes and never be found again if it was handmade... a foot may grow just a tiny bit from one week to another, leaving the shoes too small.
Her feet will likely have different needs from time to time and need to be refitted frequently. Different fitters have different preferences, none "wrong", just different. These are not reasons for returns or badmouthing of the fitter..! [wink]. We have some fitters we won't go back to after trying them once. It is a much different thing than going to Payless and buying a pair of shoes and taking them back after you realize the fit isn't quite right. It's pretty unheard of to take pointe shoes back EXCEPT in straight cases of manufacturer defects. It is pretty much a very expensive gamble until you find a great "right this moment" shoe... until that changes..! [wink]. Best of luck!!!
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #29 
I know this is an older post but I wanted to chime in. DD10 got her first pair of pointe shoes a couple months ago. Capezio Donatella but the middle of the shank is too hard and her arches hurt after only 20 minutes in them. Not like she complained much as she was just happy to have Pointe shoes! This weekend we went to Philadelphia to see YAGP just for fun and went to the Rosin Box. We got the owner (not his sons) and he had her try on Grishko and Suffolk but I can’t remember which style and Bloch European Balance. As soon as she put on the Blochs she had a huge smile and didn’t want to take them off. He showed us how the Donatellas are harder and he didn’t seem really keen on selling Capezios in general. She ended up with the most narrow (1 x) but to me they still seem too wide in the toe box. Now I’m thinking it was a mistake.

She admits she feels the pressure on her big toes whereas in the donatellas she didn’t. But she finds them so easy to turn in and go up on. I’m thinking we will go into nyc once she’s done with these and get fitted at the Bloch store. I’m also going to check if my local stores carry the Suffolk Spotlights. This is an expensive learning curve. I thought going to philly would be the magical thing to get her in the correct shoes but I don’t think so.
Ugh.
tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #30 
I think that having a good fitter is part of the process. The other part is the dancer learning their own foot and what works for them. They have to be able to give honest feedback during the fitting. My daughter went from chacotte to grishko to suffolk, which she has been wearing for years. She has tried Freed but never loved them. The process it trial and error. Then the foot grows and changes. Then they become a more advanced dancer. I would accompany my daughter when she would have a fitting where she would be thinking about a change. I've never really had any input, except to remind my daughter to speak up and be honest about fit. She did not need to switch shoes or feel obligated to purchase a shoe just because we had spent time trying on. Now she just calls to see if her shoe is in and stops by to pick them up. she still tries them on because Suffolk are hand made and there have been times when something did not feel right in the shoe.

Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
I'll add this: do not be afraid to go back to a shoe that you once deemed not the "best" fit. It's invaluable to try new shoes and new fits if your dancer is not certain that her fit is optimized however it is wise to admit when perhaps a shoe you once left behind maybe was the best after all.

I'll agree, it's an expensive learning curve, but absolutely necessary as the health of your dancer's entire body rests on those pointes.
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
No one sells Suffolk’s around me and I even called a store in NYC and they carry them but not the Spotlight style. Annoying.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
If Suffolks are difficult to find near you, there absolutely will be another brand with a style that will work. I would recommend that you keep your search limited to the shoes that you can most easily access. Once your dancer's feet stop growing and she's settled into a style and maker you can start mail ordering but in the beginning you need to be able to physically access the shoes she'll wear.
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Noel - thank you. I will take your advice.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.