Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
sissyfive

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone. I am new to this site and need some advice. My daughter is 12 years old and has been dancing on pointe for 2 years with our local ballet company. She would like to do a one or two week summer program. We are willing to travel. I have been researching all of the various programs out there and I am totally overwhelmed. If you have experience with a short-term summer program I would love to hear about it. Thanks so much!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 

The first short program dd attended was the Joffrey Ballet School in NYC. It isn't a program she would have wanted to attend later and we had our doubts about it at the time as well. But for her, it turned out to be a good experience. She went very early in their season, the first 2 weeks only. We figured that if it wasn't good, at least it was class. In the end, she gained a great deal of confidence, something that she had been lacking. She was sort of a little fish in the little pond at home and turned out to be a much bigger fish in the big pond. Note that Joffrey Ballet School programs do tend to attract a lot of competition dancers versus dancers from ballet schools and they are HUGE! They have tons of programs with many levels. A 12 yr old will be accepted without question. It's just a matter of placement and whether they will be in the regular program or young dancer program. 

At 12, she may also be eligible for ABTs and SAB's Young Dancer Workshops (similar names for each). These are much more competitive as far as admissions go. I've heard nice things about both of these. 

Are there other programs you are looking at as well? Also, if you are not on the Ballet Talk for Dancers message board, you should be. It's a very different board with heavy moderation and rules but a good resource just the same. 

mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
DD went to several 2 week programs at that age.  One was ABT Young Dancers in NYC and the other was a Cecchetti intensive at Hope College in MI where she received a scholarship. 

Now that DD is 17 and seeing all the expense over the years, unless money is no object, I recommend finding a solid program close to home or in a city where you have family as well as accept programs with scholarship money until she is older, say 15-16.
Slynn4colts

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #4 
A 12 year old on pointe for 2 years?  Does she only study ballet? My daughter is 12 and doesn't even have pointe shoes but does take a pre-pointe class in the ugly shoes. Our studio tells us they must wait until their feet stop growing around the age of puberty before they will be place in a pointe shoe.  I was worried for I see many girls younger than my daughter talking about pointe classes.  2 months ago I had the opportunity to talk to Stacey Tookey.  She was kind but very against it and said since I don't live in Russia or plan on moving there, my daughter would need to wait due to injury.  I still wonder and worry about my daughter falling behind, however she already complains about her ankles hurting so I'm just going to have to wait and buy those pretty shoes after her foot stops growing. So disappointing for I love ballet.  Good luck to your daughter and I hope she finds a workshop.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 

Many 12 year old dancers at ballet schools are en pointe. She did mention she is at a local ballet company, so probably the school of said company. [smile] 

If your dd is not a ballet school, I would not worry about it all. Older dancers who start pointe later tend to progress a bit faster. 

Waiting until the foot stops growing is not a requirement for pointe work from a medical standpoint. Even if you do an xray to look at closure of the epiphyseal plates, that's not going to tell you that the foot isn't going to grow a bit more. Once we thought dd's feet stopped growing, a year or so with no change, her feet grew again! Nevertheless, it does not sound like your dd is at a ballet school, so no need to worry about her falling behind in ballet. It's kind of like comparing apples and oranges with the training. 

I remember when dd was 10, some of her friends at another ballet school were staring pointe and she wasn't. She started when she was 11, a year later,  taking 4 90 minute to 2 hour classes each week of ballet. Her friends who started a year before were no more advanced by the end of that year. In fact, some at that other ballet school were still only at  the barre. DD herself will admit that it would have been easier for her if she had waited another year to start. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.