Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
JustAnotherDanceMom7

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So, I've been taking DD to work with a former ballerina for private lessons as a supplement to what she gets at her comp studio.  The SO referred us to her and she has been going since mid-July.  Her improvement has been really incredible in just a few months and I feel that the instruction is worth every penny!  And DD loves working with her and loves her very strict style.  She really takes to it very well and loves getting all of the corrections.  DD has really flourished there!  Her home studio instructors have noticed great technical progress, which was the goal. 

Anyway, the ballet teacher invited her to participate in a showcase she's having for some of her students in February!  DD will learn a variation to perform and the ballet teacher told me she is leaning towards a peasant variation.  Once she decides, she said I can start looking for a tutu [love]  This is so exciting for my DD and also for me!  I danced growing up, mostly ballet and was en pointe for a few years.  I always hoped that DD would find her own love of ballet and she really has with this teacher and can't wait to go back every week.

Anyway, wanted to share because this just makes me so happy and is such a nice departure from all of the comp world hub bub.  Sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't just drop comp all together and go this route - continue to work with the ballet teacher, do conventions, drop-in classes in other styles and solos as an independent! I have a feeling that we may be headed that way, just not quite yet.  Will continue this year and see where it all takes us.

Thanks for letting me share with you guys!
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
That's wonderful news.  Congrats to your daughter.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
That's really wonderful to hear!  

As for the tutu though, I thought the costume for the peasant variation was a dress?  
JustAnotherDanceMom7

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
That's really wonderful to hear!  

As for the tutu though, I thought the costume for the peasant variation was a dress?  

Yes, joriebelle - It would be a dress/long tutu if she chooses the peasant variation. Exciting stuff for this mom! lol
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Several of us have dancers who eventually dropped competition for one reason or another! Sounds like you are open to what the future might bring.
JustAnotherDanceMom7

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Several of us have dancers who eventually dropped competition for one reason or another! Sounds like you are open to what the future might bring.

Yes!  We are very open!

I have the same issues with our comp studio as pretty much everyone else out there does: blatant favoritism (which I know happens everywhere, in all sports, but DD will never be on the SO's radar - even if she does pirouettes on the moon and we've accepted that), good technical training, but not great technical training (which is why we are supplementing with the ballet teacher), exorbitant costs and drama.  We stay because it's not a wholly unhealthy environment and of course, because DD loves her team.  She did have to make a choice around audition time - she could continue with the ballet teacher if she dropped two groups or she could do that same amount of groups but cut the extra ballet.  She chose to continue with the ballet teacher.  Which tells me that she is looking ahead at what's best for her long term development, which is great.  So she dropped the hip hop and tap groups.  We just can't do it all and I'm glad that I laid out the choices for her instead of over-extending myself.  And I must say I'm happy with her choice!  So we will see how things develop!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.