Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Eliwel

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
In your experience does/did your competition studio have a ballet curriculum/syllabus?
Were the students placed in ballet classes according to skill level or by team (mini/juniors/teens/sr)?
Was there testing? If so, how often?
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Dd's studio goes by RAD exam level.
The head ballet teacher will assess the student and place them. They will move them around a bit in grades primary-5, but Interfoundation and up need to take each exam. The odd time they've let a student take 2 exams in a year, normally they only have exams in the spring. Sometimes classes will repeat a grade(grade 2 is very common).
Competition ballet level is different. The level they get placed in only affects casting for group routines.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Our studio studies Vaganova therefore there are no exams and no particular syllabus. I would say our students are placed more by level and not age. My daughter is 10 and is in ballet classes with girls ranging from 11-14. She is the youngest. But we also have 14 year olds in ballet with girls up to 18. 
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew
Our studio studies Vaganova therefore there are no exams and no particular syllabus. I would say our students are placed more by level and not age.

This is how ours is as well.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Our students audition once yearly for class and team placement (each genre is considered separately including ballet class placement).  The school does not advertise a particular curriculum and we do not have ballet exams.

Regarding your question, the advanced ballet students range in age from 13-18, but there is a group of intermediate ballet students ranging in age from 11-15, so ability matters.  However, regarding your question, this break down mirrors the division of competition teams.  Both groups will compete at the teen level, but they are different competition groups.  

But now I am curious about their basic structure, they have Ballet 1-5 then intermediate, then advanced. Does that structure mimic a particular curriculum?
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Comp teams at our studio have nothing to do with training levels during the week.  Students in the weekly training program have at around 6 hours of ballet a week and have ballet exams during the year.  People are placed by ability, not age.
Mama2aHappyDancer

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Ballet is based on team placement at dd's current studio. Teams are divided by age and skill. At her old studio, it was required, but ballet was not part of company and placement was based on skill. 
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Our studio does the RAD levels and exams. My daughters teammates are all at the same level for ballet, age range is 12-14 and they are doing inter-foundation exam this spring.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Answering the 3 questions asked....

Yes, our current studio has a ballet curriculum/syllabus, but not sure if it is one particular style or a mix.

Leveling is done by skill.  We have 7 "levels": combo, pre, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.  Age does play a little bit into Level 5 as it is reserved for the absolute strongest dancers in the studio who have all been in HS thus far.  Level 3 seems to have our widest age group from 8-18.

So far, no testing.  But we are still in our infancy (3rd year in operation), so it may be added in.  I won't know if they do or not, since my dancer is graduating this year!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
DS studio followed the RAD syllabus.  You had to be assessed by the ballet mistress if you were new and then you were placed in the appropriate level.  Technical ballet classes are all taught to the syllabus with the expectation that most students will take the exam.  After grade 5 when vocational levels start you have to invited to be in those classes or you go to the regular grade 6 class.  It is possible for a child to advance through the regular levels without taking the exam but if you hope to move to the vocational levels you are required to do the graded exams as well as be invited to that level.  Comp groups are a combination of different grade levels but the older groups only have the vocational dancers in them.
threedancingdaughters

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Our ballet classes are for both comp and rec dancers, so not based on teams but on ability. There's a specific curriculum and testing done a few times throughout the year. Certain skills have to be demonstrated to pass to the next level.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I should add, we have non team members in ballet and other classes as well.
Dancersmom3

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
DD's school has classes that include comp and recreational dancers. They have 7 levels of ballet and half levels inbetween. Preballet, primary, 1, 1/2, 2, 2/3 and so on up to 7. They do the same for jazz.
Definitely not based on age but on ability. SO sends out recommendations in August. If someone moves up in the middle of the season... it is because the teachers discuss it and ask them to. If they take 3 ballet classes per week at the recommended level, they are allowed to take a "challenge" class at the next highest level for their 4th. At that point they can add all the classes for both levels if they want. As long as they don't drop the recommended level classes. You can be in the same level for anywhere from 1 to 3 years. Longer if you only take once per week.
SO has a list of steps that a kid must master before moving up. We don't get to see it though but a teacher let me peek. Very long with lots of French words that I didn't understand. :-)

Comp teams are really just extra on top of the regular classes and training. They rehearse each dance once a week in a separate rehearsal.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
I should add, we have non team members in ballet and other classes as well.

So do we. In fact dd and one other girl are the only girls on team who are in the highest level of ballet. Everyone else in that level of ballet comes to the studio for ballet only.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
We have Vaganova teachers and no formal exams. Team placement is based on ballet placement, not the other way around. So in order to be on the highest level team, you must be in the highest level in ballet (and the majority of your other genres). All of our classes combine comp and non-comp dancers and are grouped by both skill and age. For instance, there is beginning ballet for 8-10 year olds and a separate beginning ballet class for teens.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
No exams and no adherence to one specific curriculum. I would say ours is a mix of Vaganova and Cecchetti (sp). Leveling is done by ability although one must be over 10 for the Intermediate level and over 13 for the most advanced. There are non-company kids in all technique classes.
Most level placement across the board is done based on ballet (as in, you cannot be a beginner ballet student and be in the advanced everything else classes.... There are individual exceptions such as transplanted really strong hip hop dancers or tappers who want to try ballet, stuff like that, but for the most part you are in one level across the board.) you may be asked to take another level class in addition to yours, up or down depending on what the teachers feel you need.
Company placemtn IS usually, but not always, corresponding to what level you are at the studio. Only the best dancers move up to the most advanced level, and generally only that level is placed in our elite senior company.
rubydancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Our studio is small. In order to fill classes, the girls in a class can be within 3-4 years apart in age and and a couple years apart in ability. Most of the barre work is the same, then for combinations, they are given options with higher ability dancers encouraged to try the harder option. Our strictest ballet teacher does try to adhere more to leveling, but that ends in very small classes that end up combining anyway.
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbonmama
No exams and no adherence to one specific curriculum. I would say ours is a mix of Vaganova and Cecchetti (sp). Leveling is done by ability although one must be over 10 for the Intermediate level and over 13 for the most advanced. There are non-company kids in all technique classes. Most level placement across the board is done based on ballet (as in, you cannot be a beginner ballet student and be in the advanced everything else classes.... There are individual exceptions such as transplanted really strong hip hop dancers or tappers who want to try ballet, stuff like that, but for the most part you are in one level across the board.) you may be asked to take another level class in addition to yours, up or down depending on what the teachers feel you need. Company placemtn IS usually, but not always, corresponding to what level you are at the studio. Only the best dancers move up to the most advanced level, and generally only that level is placed in our elite senior company.

Our small studio is the same as this but we use the RAD syllabus, loosely. Starting this year though they will be reintroducing exams which a bunch of us are excited about. They used to do exams but then stopped when there was a general lack of interest so we're trying to bring that back. My DD8 for one works better when she has an end goal in sight, when she knows she will be tested on something so that makes her focus.

Eliwel

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Thank you everyone for all the responses! So nice to see that every studio is a bit different, there is no set way as to how a studio should operate.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Our studio does exams in all styles of dance, so levels will generally be age based, when you are the appropriate age to take that exam.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: