Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
And so on the night before we leave for nationals my newly turned 12 year old has started her period for the first time. 4 of her costumes are white, off white or very light (ugh). Spending a really long time at the store trying to decide on products to use with an embarrassed child was certainly not what I expected to be doing at 10 pm this evening. Hoping it's light and quick- over fast. First time dancing in any of these products will be competing... at nationals... lovely. Poor kid.
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Yikes! Hope everything goes well! Honestly, DD's timing couldn't have been better the first time. She was home on winter break from dance and school!
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Sorry, NCKDAD. 
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Awww! Good luck ❤️
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Bummer for both of you!
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
She will not have the weight of "what if this happened at competitions" over her. Think of it this way, from the get-go she will know with confidence that this is something she is more than capable of handling. I am terribly sorry as I'm sure it's stressful Trying to find an upside good luck!
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
It's all in how you handle it.  It's not a big deal, a bummer, or a bad break.  it's life.  And if she starts treating it like that from the get go, then the 350+ times she'll have her period in her lifetime will also be no big deal.  Calm, move forward, don't worry.  Ask the studio about underwear-during-period policy.  Buy nude seamless underwear no matter what the policy is.  Put costume on right before going on stage as a last "keep her calm" device.  All will be well.  
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
The big girls at dance can be a lifesaver in this area. They know the best products, and they can make it all seem very normal and manageable. Does she have a connection with and older girl (or maybe younger teacher) who can help this seem like a basic part of dance?
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
The schedule is nicely spread so that solos take a full day, duos and trios another, then groups start so things should be very light by the craziest day Saturday. Most of her costumes don't have tights so we already have nude undies of various cuts- she prefers greater coverage. Lol. She's been doing fine. Today we went up to enjoy the night before she has national team rehearsals tomorrow... pool time was... different. But it's definitely better than I anticipated. The older girls are making her laugh with their own stories and definitely a great resource- and most of her team has their's already. So so far so good and like I said I'm hopeful by the craziest day of all it's over or nonexistent.
HTownDanceMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Horrible timing, but I'm glad to hear things are going well so far.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Glad she's handling it well. 
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Poor kid 😕 Glad to hear it is going well so far. My older dd got hers the day of our competition showcase and had a white costume that year.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.