Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So was Ava eliminated from SYTYCD because she's too tall?? Worries me for tall girls who want to go professional. Including my own kiddo whose likely to be very tall as well. But I'm not capable of truly judging dance technique to know what they are looking at...
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Ok I just discovered this board and so I see a huge post with lots of responses regarding SYTYCD. So I'm thinking this may have been discussed there already. It's going to take me a bit to read through it all! But feel free to ignore this and I'll follow that other one... Not sure if it's even still a discussion anyone cares about but I'm enjoying reading through it all.
3girls

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancerfun
Ok I just discovered this board and so I see a huge post with lots of responses regarding SYTYCD. So I'm thinking this may have been discussed there already. It's going to take me a bit to read through it all! But feel free to ignore this and I'll follow that other one... Not sure if it's even still a discussion anyone cares about but I'm enjoying reading through it all.

I'm confused, you say "I just discovered this board" but according to your screen name you joined in 2014 and have 121 other posts.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I assume you mean you just discovered stage and screen board.

I do think being very tall can be a negative in dance - especially when partnering - and this will affect my dd too.

But IMO, I think her story about being disadvantaged because she is tall and skinny just didn't resonate with the show. The story definitely didn't resonate with me. It felt very staged and she didn't come across with a charisma that seems important in picking "stars". She danced well though. I just don't think dance is all this junior show is about.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I'm confused as to why you would immediately come to the conclusion that she was eliminated because she was "too tall" as opposed to the more obvious... others were better/more in line with what they were looking for.
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I have only watched one episode (not ones with Ava) but I wouldn't be surprised of she was eliminated because she doesn't fit the image they want for the show - it's all about kids, and even though she is definitely a kid, she looks older, partly because of her height.

My daughter is a tall ballet/contemporary dancer starting a professional career, and believe me, it has been her biggest stumbling block to finding jobs. Several companies have told her they would love to hire her, but only could if they hired other tall female and /or male dancers, while other companies refused to let her audition at all. I would be curious to know if it's less of an issue for commercial dancers.
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girls

I'm confused, you say "I just discovered this board" but according to your screen name you joined in 2014 and have 121 other posts.

Sorry, I meant this section (stage and screen). I honestly haven't thoroughly checked out this site! I pop over a few minutes here and there when I can. [smile]
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
I'm confused as to why you would immediately come to the conclusion that she was eliminated because she was "too tall" as opposed to the more obvious... others were better/more in line with what they were looking for.

I honestly have no idea! That's why I was asking. [wink] Her height was emphasized on the show but I wasn't clear why she didn't make it. Again, I don't have the dancer eye so to me they all looked great. I'm just curious what others saw.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I didn't even know she got eliminated. I thought they just finished auditions in the last episode?
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
I didn't even know she got eliminated. I thought they just finished auditions in the last episode?

The episode last week was the won where each all star picked their team based on solos.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I'm sure Ava is a lovely girl and like loads of other physical attributes dancers might have, her height may stop her from getting some roles/jobs, but in this case I think she just wasn't one of the strongest dancers and wasn't selected.  While her mother stage-managed it to look as though she had a heartbreak story, in reality she's a young lady who has load of opportunities that our kids would love to have (including a mother who owns a dance studio). She'll be just fine and something makes me think we've not seen the last of her (or, shockingly, her mother).
kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I think Ava was eliminated because there were simply better dancers.  No hate on Ava, she is a lovely dancer.  There was just a lot of competition and the all stars picked who they thought were the best.  In reality, height will be a reason why she may not get certain jobs, but that is the real world. 
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
But in looking at who was picked for the finals, the little jazz dancer JT was picked, and he's tiny, so I don't think dancers were excluded for size, I think there were much better dancers than Ava, IMO.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I chose not to watch this year. The whole kids being exploited and stage parent thing creeps me out. Plus my DD is 17. I get to see super talented dancers in that age bracket. That is enough for me.

I live in the same area as Ava. We have seen her and her moms studio at comps and conventions. She is a beautiful dancer. And she is tall. Not as tall as my DD who is now 6 feet tall. But like DD, she is all arms and legs. At her age they are kind of long, thin and lanky. It can make for an awkward look onstage. I assume that she will "fill out" for lack of a better term in the next year or two. That is not a heartbreak story. It's just how she is developing.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.