Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

Now I'm in the "wait, your first choice for your first multi-week time away from home is a 5 week program more than 1,000 miles away?" mode ...

Or option "B": NYC, whoo-hoo, but of course no housing!

Good grief, too many first world problems.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #52 

oh geez.  So I now just received notice that dd was accepted into Francois Perron's August ballet SI in nyc (French Academie of Ballet) which she auditioned for on Thursday.  But prior to notification we started to toss around the idea of the 2 wk August intensive at CPYB.  Of course FAB's SI conflicts w/the first week of CPYB.  And now I'm wondering how useful only 1 wk of the CPYB would be.  And then there's still the June ABT collegiate program taking up space in my brain.  All on top of her 5 or 6 wks at Bossov. 

Yes.  First world problems indeed. 

enpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #53 
What a great problem to have, Heidi! 

I just want to mention that my daughter has attended CPYB's August course.  I know it used to be that you could attend either of the two weeks independently, but last I heard, they only allow you to attend both weeks or only the first but not only the second week. Perhaps they changed the rule back or perhaps they would make an exception, but you might want to check into that.  
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by enpointe
What a great problem to have, Heidi! 

I just want to mention that my daughter has attended CPYB's August course.  I know it used to be that you could attend either of the two weeks independently, but last I heard, they only allow you to attend both weeks or only the first but not only the second week. Perhaps they changed the rule back or perhaps they would make an exception, but you might want to check into that.  

ooooooo good to know.  Thanx for the heads up! 
joriebelle

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #55 
That's fantastic, Heidi!  She will be one busy girl this summer!  My DD is staying at the home studio this summer.  My son just received an appointment to the USMMA in NY and we're going to go as a family to see him off in June.  Also, the studio had given us a deal on the SI if we paid for the year's tuition ahead of time.  She's already thinking of where she wants to go next year though!
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #56 
August at CPYB is done all flat and is like technique clean up.  It's good place to "clean-up" stuff like alignment, etc. 

I think that CPYB has a better reputation of producing pro dancers. 

You might also look at BAE for August programs in NYC, as well. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #57 
Decision's been made.  We threw out the ABT Collegiate in favor of the full 6 wks at Bossov & then the 2 wk August course at CPYB.  The last wk of ABT conflicts w/that very first wk of Bossov & while she didn't have to go that wk, she decided that it would be the better choice (super small class & prep for casting which occurs early the 2nd wk).   It was hard to pass up FAB... she absolutely loved Perron & his style of teaching... thought that that experience in the French style would be challenging & especially worthwhile since Europe is her goal.  But when push came to shove the ballet boot camp won out since her yr round program is the next level w/the focus being more on artistry than technique (the instruction I mean... the dancer is always working on perfecting their technique, of course!) so a back to basics will be good. We're a little bummed to have lost her 3 wks of freedom in nyc but I think I'll just try to send her off for frequent shorter periods of time over the next yr.  Three or 4 days, maybe even a wk on her own where she can take open classes.  Not exactly the same but we'll find a way to challenge her.  Maybe work towards having her make all the arrangements, traveling herself etc.

Phew.  Now I can relax 😉
joriebelle

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #58 
That sounds like a good plan, Heidi, and a full summer for her.  When is she looking to try to go pro?
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
That sounds like a good plan, Heidi, and a full summer for her.  When is she looking to try to go pro?

Yikes... just the sound of that is a little scary!  Her teachers were actually trying to push her out of the nest this year but I've insisted she finish high school first so real auditioning will start next year.  So much to plan for but they will be at her side every step of the way and they are so well connected in the industry... world wide.  I'm excited for her.  And we have no big expectations... will be happy for whatever opportunity may come her way.  That whole 'journey' thing, ya know?
joriebelle

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

Yikes... just the sound of that is a little scary!  Her teachers were actually trying to push her out of the nest this year but I've insisted she finish high school first so real auditioning will start next year.  So much to plan for but they will be at her side every step of the way and they are so well connected in the industry... world wide.  I'm excited for her.  And we have no big expectations... will be happy for whatever opportunity may come her way.  That whole 'journey' thing, ya know?

That is really exciting!  That's great that she has teachers that will help her throughout the process, and also that they have connections.  I think that is important.  Good plan that she is finishing high school first.  I'm telling DD the same thing.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

That's really outstanding!

I've seen students with that support from teachers.  And students who didn't have nearly as much.

Wishing you (and her) all the best!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.