Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 
I always hated the deadline juggling. I called one program (PNB) to get results over the phone because that would have been her first choice program, but she had another deposit due before getting the other school's results. She didn't get in, so it was all moot, but it was stressful!
LittlePointeBird

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

The worst is when the deposit for one is due before the audition for another even occurs! I always wished the season were more organized. 

IThis was before she had even auditioned for some of her top choices/hoped for companies. She turned it down but it was hard to not wonder if there would be another!

This will likely drive me and my Type A tendencies crazy. I've been spoiled because, until now, she's stayed local. I'm excited she's branching out but the logistics are, as usual, like wrangling cats.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePointeBird
This will likely drive me and my Type A tendencies crazy. I've been spoiled because, until now, she's stayed local. I'm excited she's branching out but the logistics are, as usual, like wrangling cats.

It's definitely going to drive me and my planning nature nuts.  Wait, why didn't you juggle the audition travel so you'd know your first choice first?  

Maybe that's just impossible, who knows.
PasDeChatMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

It's definitely going to drive me and my planning nature nuts.  Wait, why didn't you juggle the audition travel so you'd know your first choice first?  

Maybe that's just impossible, who knows.

It's not impossible, but certainly difficult in some cases. You'll have a program like PNB that says they will send results within a month and then SAB who gives pre-registered results in 5 days and requires a deposit within 10 days of acceptance. So if you're interested in both and PNB is your first choice, you better hope the audition is at the beginning of the season lol.

We haven't had to play the organizing audition to optimize deadlines game...yet...but we have had to accept a program while awaiting results on others. 

It's an adventure...[rofl]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 

Yes, it can actually be impossible. LOL

We tried and failed at that game. Did her first choice August program first, not knowing that it was a program that does not send out ANY results until they finish the audition tour. Her second choice program was done later, and she was accepted but the deposit was due on the earliest day that the first choice would give any results. They could only tell me if she was on the first list of acceptances on that day. That was it. It's a small program that accepts only as many spots as they have. If someone declines, they move down the list. So, we had to move on and accept her second choice. 

Another year, the place she had hoped to go to was auditioning near the end of the season in our area. So, she did a video, hoping to get a response sooner. That didn't work either.

Many times, you are limited to when a program auditions in your general area. 

You kind of just have to go with the flow and hope for the best!

dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Oh, well i don't feel so bad knowing that ii can be impossible!

I guess there's a silver lining here - the one she hasn't auditioned at is ABT, and I had thought that would be her first choice *if* they assigned her to NYC.  And really, it would have been possible to attend an ABT audition by now, so I was kind of questioning our planning.  What I'm find interesting now though, is that she's saying it's her first choice for *next* year, that she wants her first out-of-town experience somewhere else.  It seems she'll get in to what is currently her first choice. "seems" based on a post audition conversation with, and initiated by, the person running the audition.  (Is that common?).  I don't know if her priorities would change in the event she did get NYC.  Maybe.  Maybe not.

Not that I wish scheduling nightmares for others, but I do find some comfort hearing that others are in the same boat.  And bottom line, I guess I should listen to my wife who has simply stated "it's all good, it'll work out, she'll find her path."
LittlePointeBird

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988
  And bottom line, I guess I should listen to my wife who has simply stated "it's all good, it'll work out, she'll find her path."

Smart woman.  It's so easy to get caught up in the logistics i.e. the only things we can semi-control. So I talk myself down quite a bit by simply talking to my DD to see where her head is. Most of the time I'm the wreck trying to "make the right decision," while she's more accepting of the realities of the world she's chosen to be in.

Oinkteller

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom

I have no direct feedback for these programs, but I know other members will.

If you haven't already, I would recommend signing up for Ballet Talk for Dancers and read read read. There is lots of information on summer intensives available. They have lots of rules about posting so spend some time there reading before joining in.

Thank you for recommending BTFD! Both of these sites are terrific resources 😊
mousefansmom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
DD15 just attended the COCA regional summer intensive audition in St. Louis last weekend, plus took master classes. There were 19 programs there assessing the dancers. She was mainly interested in 5 of the programs (and wrote them down on her form to make sure and get a response from them) but in my experience from going to the audition 2 years ago there will be many more responses given than just those 5. It's a unique audition experience because they have 1.5 hours of ballet and then 1 hour of modern (to live drums).

We have 2 more weekends planned in Kansas City for auditions, 4 programs possible to attend each weekend. I'd like to cancel the 2nd KC weekend but we want to put her in front of programs that she's already been to and made a good impression on again, to see what happens.

And another fun thing...I think my daughter needs bigger pointe shoes. Right in the middle of audition season, and the fitter is in STL, which we didn't plan to go back there until February. I may just add a half size and hope for the best. Yaaaaayyy.

My daughter was there too....have heard from 3 so far. Always an exciting time until reality ($$) hits! :)
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePointeBird

Smart woman.  It's so easy to get caught up in the logistics i.e. the only things we can semi-control. So I talk myself down quite a bit by simply talking to my DD to see where her head is. Most of the time I'm the wreck trying to "make the right decision," while she's more accepting of the realities of the world she's chosen to be in.

Now I'm in the "wait, your first choice for your first multi-week time away from home is a 5 week program more than 1,000 miles away?" mode ...
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Yep... πŸ˜‰ My daughter's first choice was 5 weeks on the opposite coast. We survived! 
LittlePointeBird

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #37 
I know my DD has two west coast programs on her mind but I'm really not ready for those types of travel arrangements this year. I just need this year to get used to the prep that would take.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #38 
This is bound to be viewed as over the top obnoxious by some so I'll just quietly slip it in here and take my chances πŸ˜‰  This SI promo just came through my newsfeed.  It's dd!  

https://www.facebook.com/bbtatmci/photos/a.1429142610668856.1073741829.1426887270894390/1973742636208848/?type=3&theater
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
This is bound to be viewed as over the top obnoxious by some but, oh well, I'll take my chances πŸ˜‰  This SI promo just came through my newsfeed.  It's dd!  

https://www.facebook.com/bbtatmci/photos/a.1429142610668856.1073741829.1426887270894390/1973742636208848/?type=3&theater

She's lovely heidi...just beautiful!  
tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #40 
really lovely photo! Love when people share these positive momentsπŸ˜‰
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Thanx for the kind words ladies.  They have a year round residential program full of lovely dancers whose photos they could have used... that's why it had me a little taken aback (but in a good way, of course).  For some crazy reason they've used her photo (a different one) as their profile px for the last 6 mos too.  I don't get it  lol
tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Because she is stunning and her form in the photo is lovely. It's a great photo to promote their program. She looks like she is enjoying the role, too!
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #43 
Share away! I'd be super proud too if that was my DD. πŸ˜‰
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Thanx for the kind words ladies.  They have a year round residential program full of lovely dancers whose photos they could have used... that's why it had me a little taken aback (but in a good way, of course).  For some crazy reason they've used her photo (a different one) as their profile px for the last 6 mos too.  I don't get it  lol

Is that your DD in their current profile picture?  It's stunning!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom

Is that your DD in their current profile picture?  It's stunning!

Yup, that would be my gal [smile]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 
She has a genuine look of joy in that photo! It's a great photo to promote their SI. Hope you can get a copy of their poster.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
This is bound to be viewed as over the top obnoxious by some so I'll just quietly slip it in here and take my chances πŸ˜‰  This SI promo just came through my newsfeed.  It's dd!  

Gorgeous photo!
joriebelle

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #48 
Heidi, she is beautiful!  That is so exciting she is on the flyer!  I hope you grabbed a ton of those!  That's a gorgeous photo!
joriebelle

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
   They have a year round residential program full of lovely dancers whose photos they could have used... that's why it had me a little taken aback (but in a good way, of course).  For some crazy reason they've used her photo (a different one) as their profile px for the last 6 mos too.  I don't get it  lol

Because she is talented and a gorgeous ballet dancer!
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:

Awwww beautiful! I see why they use that pic, it is lovely! 😊😍
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.