Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Seems the SI audition circuit is in high gear.  Just wondering how it's going for everyone.  Weather over the past two weekends has made things a bit interesting, at least for folks in the east.
joriebelle

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #2 
We decided to keep DD13 home this year for SI.  Usually I'll still take her to a bunch of auditions anyway for the experience but this year we are not.  Good luck to everyone else!
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My DD8 - just went to her first official one. We did a local SI last year (people do travel to it) - because the program started at 7. She improved so much over those three weeks - I think we will try again. However we did a video audition for that one - and never experienced it in person.

So we attended a Joffrey audition last Saturday. Joffrey does start at 8 for their regular ‘summer intensive’ program (not the performance track because they are not on pointe yet). I have read here that “everyone gets in” - which is totally fine for us and our first experience auditioning. :). The class for us was 8-25! So intimidating for my little one (she was youngest - next closest were 11 year olds already on pointe). But she did really well! The Joffrey instructor saw she was nervous before things started and about mid way through he told me through the window she was doing great. So we had a good experience for sure.

This weekend is University of Pennsylvania (not heard anything about the program) - we will use it as a master class/audition experience I think.

Although I think it’s less pressure for us being so young in a way. In a few years it will be much different!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Nothing really going on here right now  Dd's plans have been to return to Bossov as it's everything she wants in an SI.  She's heard all the reasons she should try something else but none of them are sinking in & at this stage, after seeing everything that I've seen/reading everything that I've read/knowing everything that I know/believing everything that I do... I have to agree with her.  Plus, that price is right.. and leaves lots of extra money to spend on additional summer opportunities.  She had been planning to do the Rockettes again but just today said she's rethinking that.  May be thinking of doing some shorter August ballet program in nyc if we can find something that's a little different.  My new homework.

That said, her teacher is leading the ABT SI audition in Boston next weekend so she's considering going to that one with many of the girls in her program just for fun.  But she's not interested in going/we wouldn't send her even if she were to get in.
tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
@nyklane are you sure that is not PABallet and not University of Penn? I live in Philly and I've never heard that the U of P has any ballet. 

No audition based SI this year. Just BFA auditions for college. She will do drop in classes where she trains to keep up with her dance.
5678StarMom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #6 
DD15 just attended the COCA regional summer intensive audition in St. Louis last weekend, plus took master classes. There were 19 programs there assessing the dancers. She was mainly interested in 5 of the programs (and wrote them down on her form to make sure and get a response from them) but in my experience from going to the audition 2 years ago there will be many more responses given than just those 5. It's a unique audition experience because they have 1.5 hours of ballet and then 1 hour of modern (to live drums).

We have 2 more weekends planned in Kansas City for auditions, 4 programs possible to attend each weekend. I'd like to cancel the 2nd KC weekend but we want to put her in front of programs that she's already been to and made a good impression on again, to see what happens.

And another fun thing...I think my daughter needs bigger pointe shoes. Right in the middle of audition season, and the fitter is in STL, which we didn't plan to go back there until February. I may just add a half size and hope for the best. Yaaaaayyy.

hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Limited SI auditions for my daughter this year as well, as she's doing BFA auditions. She is accepted to University of Utah's summer program, so she has that as an option. She has one more she knows she wants to do (to see how they respond to her), is considering CPYB, and may do a few others as time and energy allow. It feels odd to not be on that track this year!
Oinkteller

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi! New to this forum which I stumbled upon while looking for more info about SIs. So glad to find this resource! DD13 started the SI audition circuit this year. She's been accepted at SAB (we were both thrilled and shocked) and we are waiting to hear back from PNB and Bolshoi. What are people's thoughts about these programs? They all seem well-regarded.
5678StarMom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oinkteller
Hi! New to this forum which I stumbled upon while looking for more info about SIs. So glad to find this resource! DD13 started the SI audition circuit this year. She's been accepted at SAB (we were both thrilled and shocked) and we are waiting to hear back from PNB and Bolshoi. What are people's thoughts about these programs? They all seem well-regarded.

I have no direct feedback for these programs, but I know other members will.

If you haven't already, I would recommend signing up for Ballet Talk for Dancers and read read read. There is lots of information on summer intensives available. They have lots of rules about posting so spend some time there reading before joining in.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
We decided to keep DD13 home this year for SI.  Usually I'll still take her to a bunch of auditions anyway for the experience but this year we are not.  Good luck to everyone else!

This is DD14's first year on "the circuit." She likely would have tried one or two last year for the experience, but was injured.  She's been to one audition, has two this weekend, and then I think one or two more.

dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom

And another fun thing...I think my daughter needs bigger pointe shoes. Right in the middle of audition season, and the fitter is in STL, which we didn't plan to go back there until February. I may just add a half size and hope for the best. Yaaaaayyy.

Just did exactly that for DD11 recently, for similar reasons.  Although thankfully, she's not auditioning for anything!
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
@nyklane are you sure that is not PABallet and not University of Penn? I live in Philly and I've never heard that the U of P has any ballet. 

No audition based SI this year. Just BFA auditions for college. She will do drop in classes where she trains to keep up with her dance.

Yes! Shows how little I know!! PABallet - that is this weekend. I haven’t ever seen it mentioned either so I have to do some research as well. :)
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
We're all in on auditions this year.

So far she's done Ballet Austin (accepted), Washington Ballet, ABT, Chataqua and PA ballet (haven't heard back from any of those).  She's got this weekend off then it's Boston and then PNB.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
DD is accepted into Grand Rapids Ballet's Junior Intensive with a full scholarship, or the Senior Intensive on 1/2 scholarship. She auditioned on Sunday for Gelsey Kirkland's SI and we found out today she got accepted to the Junior SI, the 12+ SI, and the year-round program. I've already read over BTFD's reviews, but if anyone here has experience/opinions of the program, feel free to PM me.

While not traditional SIs, she got "dinged" at Canada's Nat'l Ballet School, and she's still waiting to hear from Royal Winnipeg.

BalletMet is probably the only other audition she'll do.
enpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
DD is auditioning for several this year.  She has already auditioned and been accepted to San Francisco Ballet.  She auditioned to PNB and we're waiting to hear back from them. She will also audition for Houston, Boston, and ABT.

In the past, she attended summer intensives at PNB, Chautauqua, ABT NYC, and CPYB.  I'm anxious to see where she'll end up this summer!
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
DD auditioned for Boston, Miami, Suzanne Farrell. 

She really wants to do Farrell and it's cheaper but then we would need to fill in the gaps, until July 23 which we can do with some local things. 

These SIs are a racket!  5500-5700. And at this point, no scholarships so that will influence our decisions. 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
DD is accepted into Grand Rapids Ballet's Junior Intensive with a full scholarship, or the Senior Intensive on 1/2 scholarship. She auditioned on Sunday for Gelsey Kirkland's SI and we found out today she got accepted to the Junior SI, the 12+ SI, and the year-round program. I've already read over BTFD's reviews, but if anyone here has experience/opinions of the program, feel free to PM me.

While not traditional SIs, she got "dinged" at Canada's Nat'l Ballet School, and she's still waiting to hear from Royal Winnipeg.

BalletMet is probably the only other audition she'll do.

DD received the letter today! She got accepted into Royal Winnipeg's Professional Division Summer Program. She cried tears of joy!
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
DD received the letter today! She got accepted into Royal Winnipeg's Professional Division Summer Program. She cried tears of joy!

Congratulations, I've heard great things about Winnipeg!
joriebelle

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #19 
So happy for you DD, Phx!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
That's fabulous news, Phx115! So excited for her! Does that put the others out of the running now?
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
That's fabulous news, Phx115! So excited for her! Does that put the others out of the running now?

I don't know if this helps, but it looks like the letter was sent from the audition city, which is right across the border. I guess it had to move about Ontario a bit before it arrived here, in the Detroit suburbs. It took 9 business days to get here.

The official packet is forthcoming, at least that's what the letter said.
LittlePointeBird

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
We're all in on auditions this year.

So far she's done Ballet Austin (accepted), Washington Ballet, ABT, Chataqua and PA ballet (haven't heard back from any of those).  She's got this weekend off then it's Boston and then PNB.

Have you heard back from Washington Ballet yet? Dd13 is auditioning today. Boston ballet next week. Boston indicates it will notify within 5 days but Washington has no such detail on registration page.

DD did Ballet Theatre of MD SI for 5 years and really liked it. So did I, because it was local. But now she's old enough to do a residential program so she's excited to go away.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Still haven't heard back from Washington. . . . It didn't take this long in the past two years but we had a later audition date.

We heard back from ABT, she was accepted into NYC which is exciting but she's not sure if she wants to commute.

So we're still waiting, 5 auditions and we've heard back from two.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
Still haven't heard back from Washington. . . . It didn't take this long in the past two years but we had a later audition date.

We heard back from ABT, she was accepted into NYC which is exciting but she's not sure if she wants to commute.

So we're still waiting, 5 auditions and we've heard back from two.

Congratulations on ABT NYC, that's got to be exciting!

DD heard back from Kansas City (accepted), with Kaatasbaan, Orlando, ABT coming up next.  My daughter is also a little wishy-washy on whether she'd attend ABT even if NYC.  A good friend of hers was there last year & enjoyed it, so I'm a bit surprised.

Next up is the fun and games of "deposit required" before all programs respond.  How did I get into this mess?

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 

The worst is when the deposit for one is due before the audition for another even occurs! I always wished the season were more organized. 

I was just going through our emails and Google docs to help someone with a company audition question and realized some of it was the same for that. There was at least one contract dd received that she needed to sign by a certain date or lose the position. This was before she had even auditioned for some of her top choices/hoped for companies. She turned it down but it was hard to not wonder if there would be another!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.