Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Dancemama09

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
If your child is injured (God forbid)and unable to dance at a couple of comps, do you & your dancer attend to support the team?
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
When it happened to us last season, we did. Helped DD feel like a part of the team, even though she wasn't dancing. Both comps she missed that season were local; not sure how I would handle it if they were hours away.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Has not happened to us either in gymnastics or dance yet, thank goodness! I know other families who have been in this situation have sent their injured dancer/gymnast with another family to be there and support the team. All our competitions are min. 3hrs away.
Dancemama09

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Dd has been going to comps to cheer on her team, so proud of her. She doesn't complain. There should be a handbook for how to deal with this stuff. No one ever talks about it & it's tough on the kid (& the parent too).
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, if DD was ever injured and could not compete she would absolutely still attend in support of her team.  This, thank God, has never happened to her... but she would definitely attend.  This is, of course, assuming it's close enough to drive.  If we actually had to travel and stay in a hotel I would opt not to attend but I would see if there was anyone willing to bring her with them for the weekend.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
If it was a local competition I would definitely send my dd to go and support her teammates. I think it would help her still feel part of the excitement and team. If it was a comp that required travel I probably would not send her unless another family offered to take her with them haha.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My dd is the one who goes 5 hours early just to support the mini soloists on her team, so yes, she would want to go if she were injured.  We do only local comps (an hour drive or less) so it's easier to manage.
Klba37

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Normally ours do, but this past weekend the doctor had requested one of our dancers not go, stay off of her foot, broke growth plate. Lots of walking at huge convention center in Atlanta, GA
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We had an injured dancer who had to miss the whole season.  She came to one comp to support her friends.  I thought that was a good balance - no reason for the poor child to sit there week after week.
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My dancer did not when he was injured but he was in 3rd grade and not being able to dance in the competition made him really sad. If he had gone to the comp, it would have made it worse. 

I have an injured athlete right now. Her team has a big tournament this weekend and we will probably go watch part of it. She has a concussion so we are unsure how long she can handle being at the games.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
One of DD16s teammates was injured and unable to dance for the first 3 comps. Her younger sisters compete too so she probably would have been coming to comps anyway.  She has been at all the comps and has been a huge help behind the scenes.  She also helped at dress rehearsal.  I'm so glad that she has been involved as much as possible. She is a sweet kid and nice to have around.  

Were it my kid, she would watch her teammates compete if her condition allowed it. That is because all of our comps are no more than an hour away.  If an overnight were involved, it would have to be a destination and not a high school.
Dancemama09

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
DD has sat out a few comps this season due to injury. I'm so proud of her. She helps as much as she can. SOs & DTs should be trained in how to make an injured dancer still feel relevant to the studio.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Ash has not been injured during a comp, but her dance friends who have been have showed up at comps.  For Poms (HS dance team), it is actually required.  For studio dance, it is not required, but the injured dancers are usually there.
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Dd has never been injured. If she was I think we would go to support the team. Last year one of the dancers in dd's group was out with an injury and didn't show up. I found it odd but didn't think poorly of the family.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Our kids usually still compete when injured. The teachers will alter the choreography and might take them out of some parts and keep them in other parts.

If it's too severe the injured child always comes to watch the comp, but I don't think they have too, I think they want too. My kids have never had an injury that has prevented them from competing, so I am not sure if we have a rule.
dancedivasx2

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Yes, to support her team. My DD has an injury and can not dance at all for 8 weeks. We had our first comp this weekend . It was very hard because she worked so hard to get her placement. I cried with her when her 1st dance went on. After that she was fine and was screaming and yelling for her friends in the competition dance down. I am a little sad no one offered her the token charm they give out but she said that she did not dance so she does not get one. We have a convention this coming weekend and she still wants to go to watch. *sigh*
Dancemama09

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Good luck to your DD Dancedivasx2. My DD is out for 5 more weeks after already being out for several weeks. My heart breaks hearing about your DD watching the first dance without being in it. Glad she was able to get to the point to cheer on the team. Wishing for full recoveries for all of the injured dancers out there.
dancedivasx2

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancemama09
Good luck to your DD Dancedivasx2. My DD is out for 5 more weeks after already being out for several weeks. My heart breaks hearing about your DD watching the first dance without being in it. Glad she was able to get to the point to cheer on the team. Wishing for full recoveries for all of the injured dancers out there.

Thank you! :0)
mykidsrock

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Waiting to hear if my daughter is able to dance at her first comp next weekend - she has been out for 8 weeks with a fractured fifth metatarsal. She is anxious for her appointment today -if she can't do this one she will be good for the next one.  If she doesn't dance we may opt to driving out the last day for support - I will not get my comp fees back so I may try not to pay for a hotel on top of it.  It is heartbreaking for them to not be able to be up there with their team mates. Heck she has had a hard enough time sitting and watching them in class. I hope your dancer feels better soon!!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Yes definitely.  Still part of the team!
threedancingdaughters

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
DD sprained her ankle last year and while it didn't affect comps timing-wise, she still attended classes, sitting out and watching when she needed to and doing more as she healed. She would've still gone to the comps if she had still been injured at that time. To me, it is part of the commitment to her team and supporting the other dancers.
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
My daughter went to support her team a few days after breaking her elbow.  When the doctor read the x ray and said it was broken the first thing out of her mouth was, "What about nationals?"  I said we had already paid and we were going anyway.  Luckily, she only had to miss one regional competition and the cast came off about two weeks before nationals.  They did have to adjust the choreo a bit because her arm was stuck in the bent position.  She just had her hand on her hip a lot.  It kind of sucked watching other kids get to take her place but her teammates were actually very nice and let her collect the trophies from the dances she would have been in.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #23 
DS has asthma and severe lung disease.  He always attended class when he was having issues even just to watch.

When he was 7 he ruptured his appendix and had to have surgery a week before comp.  His first question to the Dr when he cam out of surgery was how soon he could lift his partner.  He got out of the hospital and was in class the next day just to watch.

When he was 14 he was in ICU for a week with his asthma.  It was the week of a comp.  Again he kept pestering the Dr to let him out because he had a comp to go to.  He got out on Thursday and Friday we went out of town to the comp.  He danced in a couple of routines that weren't strenuous and the rest of the weekend he cheered on his team mates.  At least until we had to take him back to the hospital with a flare.
mom24

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Yes, my kids still attend when injured.  I expect them to help their teammates (especially with quick changes).  They pin hairbows, hang costumes, help find shoes, etc.  One of my kids even got a stage manager's award for "Best Team Player" for helping out so much at one comp. (Our dance teacher put a bug in his ear.)  They are part of the team, and they need to be there working as part of the team.  No drama or feeling sorry for yourself allowed.  😉  
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 
My DD always seems to be injured LOL and yes, she always went to support the team (back when she was apart of a team - she competes as an independent now). She's had it all - from broken wrists, broken toes, a torn ACL to her most recent injury, a torn labrum. To say that she is accident prone is definitely an understatement. Most of these injuries are NOT dance related though!! She is just simply a klutz LOL! [frown]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.