Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
At what age did your child start going to professional summer intensives such as Joffrey etc. ?
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
DD went to a "professional" junior intensive when she was 11 and will return to the same program this year for the senior intensive at age 13.  It's within summer driving distance and does draw national and some international students.

She would love to go away to "big name" ballet intensive, even if she has to stay with family or we have to camp out in a weekly motel, but even that is out of reach at this point financially.  

What exactly would you deem a "professional" summer intensive?  National audition tour?  Big program with plenty of advertising?  Small program with household name teachers?  What they refer to on Ballet Talk as "three letter" programs like SAB, PNB?  Just so we are all talking about the same thing.  [smile]

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes what exactly do you mean by a "professional" summer intensive?
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Such as Joffrey or other professional ballet schools.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
There are many preprofessional ballet schools with intensives that do not have as recognizable of a name. Joffrey, at least the school in NYC and their various programs, is just a school.

Dd's first SI was at a local ballet school at age 11. While it was her local school, they had boarding for dancers who were 13 and up and dancers came from all over it. Much smaller program with FAR more personal attention.

I think she was 14 when she actually went to Joffrey for 2 weeks. The next summer, she was away for 9 weeks between 2 programs. Funny thing is that the following summer, she chose that small local program again because of the level of personal attention. She did not feel that she improved as much at one of the bigger and better known programs for 5 weeks.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Our school is a pre-pro ballet school and she's been doing intensives there since she was 6.  This year she is 12 (almost 13) and she's going away for the first time for 5 weeks to an intensive in Maine (Bossov Ballet Theatre).  Heidi's daughter will be there too which I think is kinda cool.  [smile]  Dance is a small world!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
DD did her first summer intensive at Master Ballet, her home school, at 13.  Up until that time, she was in competitive dance and had Nationals in the summer and classes at that studio.  At 14, she went away for 5 weeks.  At 15, she went away for 7 weeks and then went to a residential program for the year.  She came back home at 16, went to a 5 week intensive the next summer. Came home for the winter, then left for her trainee position SI and never came back.

Yes, joribelle - it's a very small world. Smaller than you think.  [smile] 
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My daughter's first out-of-town SI was at age 11, in hindsight we should have waited at least another year. She was emotionally ready at 11 but once you get on this SI merry-go-round it isn't always easy to get off.

Prior to that she attended the SI offered by her local company-attached ballet school. It was called an SI but it was only a few hours per day a few days per week.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
DD did her first summer intensive at Master Ballet, her home school, at 13.  Up until that time, she was in competitive dance and had Nationals in the summer and classes at that studio.  At 14, she went away for 5 weeks.  At 15, she went away for 7 weeks and then went to a residential program for the year.  She came back home at 16, went to a 5 week intensive the next summer. Came home for the winter, then left for her trainee position SI and never came back.

Yes, joribelle - it's a very small world. Smaller than you think.  [smile] 

Your DD got some excellent training there at Master Ballet.  Your studio is always well-represented at YAGP Finals.  [smile]
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

Your DD got some excellent training there at Master Ballet.  Your studio is always well-represented at YAGP Finals.  [smile]

Thank you - I agree - they just keep producing amazing kids.  They also just expanded the studio again and they are offering housing for the SI this year. Hey - Maybe next year they will have an audition tour so BTFD will recognize them as a "real" ballet school. Since they don't have an audition tour, they won't allow a summer intensive thread, which I think is hilarious.  
enpointe

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #11 
My daughter's first ballet intensive away from home was ABT's Young Dancer Program in New York City.  It was a 2 week program but there is no boarding, so I stayed there with her.  She had just turned 11 when she went.
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
DD went to Joffrey Academy's Junior SI at 11, but I agree with the sentiment that she could have waited a year or two.
I consider home away SIs more of a maturity/independence exercise, with the added benefit of DD getting to do an activity that she enjoys and is committed to. 
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My daughter did three weeks at Walnut Hill last year at 12.  She wouldn't have gone away if we'd been in a normal situation but we were moving in the summer and didn't know where we were moving so we needed to have summer training settled for her.  It ended up being cheaper than the summer camp she did the year before.  She's doing five weeks this year at 13, which she needs, she's currently at a small studio and needs to be in classes with kids who are her own age for the summer.

PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:

Thank you - I agree - they just keep producing amazing kids.  They also just expanded the studio again and they are offering housing for the SI this year. Hey - Maybe next year they will have an audition tour so BTFD will recognize them as a "real" ballet school. Since they don't have an audition tour, they won't allow a summer intensive thread, which I think is hilarious.  

They had housing last year too - beyond the host families even. So I'm thinking a national audition tour may be coming soon! 👍
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:

Yet, dd's old studio now only offers host families and I think auditions at one other location and is still on there. They used to have dorms and auditioned at a few locations but cut way back.... And they are still on the boards.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Yet, dd's old studio now only offers host families and I think auditions at one other location and is still on there. They used to have dorms and auditioned at a few locations but cut way back.... And they are still on the boards.

I get the very real feeling that someone on BTFD doesn't like MBA and I'm not the only one who thinks that. I've gotten PM's from people who feel the same way.  They are doing all the people on that board a disservice by barely allowing people to talk about them.  They have removed my posts in the past. I don't even read BTFD anymore - I don't need it. Although I still believe it's a good site to educate yourself about ballet.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:

I get the very real feeling that someone on BTFD doesn't like MBA and I'm not the only one who thinks that. I've gotten PM's from people who feel the same way.  They are doing all the people on that board a disservice by barely allowing people to talk about them.  They have removed my posts in the past. I don't even read BTFD anymore - I don't need it. Although I still believe it's a good site to educate yourself about ballet.

Do you have any idea why?  I don't understand that.  MBA puts out some excellent dancers and YAGP certainly seems to love them.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

Do you have any idea why?  I don't understand that.  MBA puts out some excellent dancers and YAGP certainly seems to love them.

No idea.  The owner is a very well known dancer from Poland. He performed in the U.S. later in his career and both his sons went to SAB.  He has a very big personality and could have p**d someone off along the way.  I believe there are people involved with professional companies on BTFD as moderators, so there is always that possibility. But no - no idea.  Like I said, it's noticeable - I've gotten more than one pm about their attitude towards them - On this board and on BTFD.  

They have kids from other countries training there now, along with kids from all over the U.S.  They have probably produced more professional dancers in the short time they've been open than many, many other schools.  I just think it's very, very odd.  It's not that big of a deal - they are doing just fine without them.
heikedog

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
DD12 has attended her pre-pro home school five-week SI since she was 10.  She really wanted to go to an out of town SI this summer ... but then chickened out a few hours before the audition.  Oh, well.  There's always next summer, and she gets excellent training with a number of guest master teachers at home in the summer.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
DD attended SAB's young dancer workshop when she was 11 and 12, and ABT's regular intensive when she was 13. She's never actually gone away though because these programs all happened to be relatively local to where we live. SI's have always been difficult for dd to fit in, as she also competes and ends up having nationals in July. DD is a sophomore in high school this year, and this will be her 3rd summer in a row not attending a SI. She is busy with other school, dance, and community commitments. She is also less focused on ballet than she once was.
mackiecat

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
My son went to NBS summer intensive for the first time when he was 9 going on 10. It's 4 weeks and he was 3.5 hours from home
MikiDM

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #22 
We are doing our first one this year and I am going with. She is 8, but lives and breathes dance. It should be a fun adventure.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: