Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
In two weeks DD10 will be attending ASH. She'll be in the Artists in Training group because of her age. She's not doing Performance Showcase.

I've read a lot of the prior ASH threads. Most tend to be reviews.

I'm hoping to find out anything that will make the weekend go smoother. For example, ballet is the first class of the day. For me, it's ballet - which means she wears black leo/pink tights/pink ballet slippers. The very next class is learning the audition combo, and then auditions right after that. When can she change? Should she change? Should she wear the standard ballet "uniform?" Does ASH want that for the ballet class? She's never attended a convention that had a ballet class. Grrr.

How are auditions run? At the other conventions, the winners are announced at the end of the audition class, or at the closing show. However, reading the event book I received, it sounds like there are finalists. When are they announced? Right after the audition? It looks like the finalists attend a 7am rehearsal Sunday for the closing show, and scholarship results are announced after the closing show? Does that mean if DD isn't a finalist, technically we could leave after the collaboration class? She has a rehearsal for Nutcracker that afternoon that we have assumed she'd have to miss.

Should she attend the open workshops on Friday night, or will she be swallowed up by a sea of older dancers? She's still on the petite side.

What are the quality of Performance Showcase routines? There's one studio doing probably 30 out of the 46 performances. Never heard of the studio, but that doesn't mean they aren't incredible.

The reason I ask a lot of this is because this convention is optional (although now that I've paid, it's not LOL). We live an hour from the venue and DD is NOT an early bird, so I opted to stay at a nearby hotel to make life easier. (The venue hotel is just yuck!) DD's studio's first rehearsal for Sleeping Beauty is later that Saturday afternoon, after Day 1 workshop classes are finished. We could drive the hour to get her to it, but miss the showcase. At that point we would drive the hour back to the hotel, but if we'll know she doesn't have to be back for a 7am rehearsal (not a scholarship finalist) then maybe just heading home makes sense. I'm rambling, sorry.

Any other events that you would consider "must do?"

FWIW, if we had known her rehearsal schedule in advance, I wouldn't have signed her up for ASH, as awesome as all the reviews are about it.

cram

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
The Friday night session is packed with all ages. If your daughter is small don't feel like she will miss out. The older dancers and the aggressive younger dancers take over the space. Classes are good but if you can't be there don't feel like she will miss anything. No one wears numbers that night. I don't recommend she keeps her ballet leo on for the audition combo. Some kids don't even wear leos for ballet but our studio requires it so the kids just throw it on over their shorts and half tops and no tights so they can quickly remove it before the next class or audition. The finalists are chosen after the audition, they are handed papers to fill out and hand in at the desk. If chosen, the rehearsal is to place them into groups and go through the audition combo on stage that they will do during the closing show and then the winners will be called up, usually around 4 or 5 winners per age group. The quality of the Performance Showcase usually depends on the city and the studios. If you already recognize a good studio it will be good. However, if you have a prior engagement then don't feel like you will be missing out. If your rehearsals are more important then I would go to that. But if she can skip the rehearsals she may want to rest after an entire day of dancing full out. Hope she has fun:-)
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks so much! This helps me out a lot. [smile]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 

What jumped out at me is FIRST rehearsal for Sleeping Beauty. In our combined experience, the first rehearsal is critical. I would leave for that. In fact, when dd went to ASH locally, we ran into the same issue. She ended up having rehearsals that weekend! She was in and out of the convention as a result. Fortunately, it was not too far from the studio! 

Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

What jumped out at me is FIRST rehearsal for Sleeping Beauty. In our combined experience, the first rehearsal is critical. I would leave for that. In fact, when dd went to ASH locally, we ran into the same issue. She ended up having rehearsals that weekend! She was in and out of the convention as a result. Fortunately, it was not too far from the studio! 

I absolutely agree! Our comp director is also working on rehearsing many of the junior company parts for Sleeping Beauty, and won't be at ASH at all. She said she'd excuse her from the rehearsal, but knowing we can get to that rehearsal in plenty of time ... Well, there's no reason for her to miss it.

It'll just mean a lot of driving.
notime

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Do not feel obligated to have your daughter wear a leo for ballet. My DD has attended conventions for 10 years and has never worn a leo.

One additional tidbit; don't miss the autograph section. If memory serves me correctly that is when the faculty hands out their choreographer pick scholarships.

Have fun!
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
DD10 loved ASH! I liked that the judges choices from the Performance Showcase featured a variety of styles.

Our studio ended up canceling Sleeping Beauty rehearsals because too many students would be at ASH. It worked out for DD because she got picked as an Apprentice Runner Up, and we didn't have to race back and forth between the convention and rehearsals.

Now, I'm trying to find out what their Nationals (no competing for DD, though) is like, as well as the NY Summer Intensive. Maybe one of those might be an option for her.
ASHDance

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
@phx115  So glad your daughter had a wonderful time at ASH this past weekend!!  Please feel free to call the office (855.ASH.Dance) with any questions for Nationals and/or the Summer Intensive.  Looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: