Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Mommanz

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #1 
DD has been out of dance for a year. Did some winter indoor colorgaurd. But now wants to jump right back in and audition for the competition team at a new studio. Should i encourage this or am i just crazy for letting her do this?
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,119
Reply with quote  #2 
Not crazy, as long as you both know what you are getting into in terms of money and time. 

0
Mommanz

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Not crazy, as long as you both know what you are getting into in terms of money and time. 



Yes and yes. Im just afriad with the year break she is not at her peak and may be disappointed and give up if she doesnt make the team.
0
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,290
Reply with quote  #4 
How old is she?  If she's old enough I would sit her down and have a long talk about expectations.
0
Mommanz

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
How old is she?  If she's old enough I would sit her down and have a long talk about expectations.

She is 11.
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,119
Reply with quote  #6 
Well, the audition may tell you a lot. 

If she auditions, doesn't make a team and decides she doesn't want to dance if not on a team, that says to me that she really does not want to dance. She wants the team experience which can happen in other activities instead of dance. 

If she doesn't make it and still wants to take classes to try again the next year, then you know she is determined and that is something I would encourage! [smile]

Why not call the new studio and see if she can come in for a few classes or privates to get dance back into her body? 
0
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,178
Reply with quote  #7 
DD was 13 and the height of her physical fitness when she took a year off. She did go back but to a much smaller studio and made their team.  I would recommend talking to the SO prior to auditions and perhaps if she needs it can get an acceptance with the condition that she take summer classes to catch up.
0
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,290
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommanz
She is 11.


Then she is old enough to understand the reality of the situation.
0
prancer

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 961
Reply with quote  #9 
I don't know how soon the auditions are, but can she take some classes before auditions to warm up a little?
0
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 190
Reply with quote  #10 
It doesn't hurt to try, but like others said, have a talk with your girl first about expectations since she's not at her peak
0
Celc9

Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #11 
My DD set out a year from dance to play softball she was in the 5th grade. When she decided to come back to dance we went back to our old studio. We had a talk before I even contacted the SO about how sitting out could have put her way behind and that it would be up to the SO if she was ready for the team right away. The SO put her back on the team and then we set up some private classes to help get her up to speed with the other dancers.

This worked well because we dance at a small studio with mostly intermediate dancers no elite dancers at this time.
0
DJ

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celc9
My DD set out a year from dance to play softball she was in the 5th grade. When she decided to come back to dance we went back to our old studio. We had a talk before I even contacted the SO about how sitting out could have put her way behind and that it would be up to the SO if she was ready for the team right away. The SO put her back on the team and then we set up some private classes to help get her up to speed with the other dancers. This worked well because we dance at a small studio with mostly intermediate dancers no elite dancers at this time.
0
DJ

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #13 
I'm glad you added that you were at a mostly intermediate studio.  If someone could sit out for a year and catch back up that easy I would tell you to find a better studio.  
0
dave9988

Avatar / Picture

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 665
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I'm glad you added that you were at a mostly intermediate studio.  If someone could sit out for a year and catch back up that easy I would tell you to find a better studio.  


I've seen some amazing recovery after prolonged absence due to injury. Although, to be fair, those dancers were generally working on other strengthening or improving other dance related skills even while "out."
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.