Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Lorax

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Apologies if I've missed a discussion about these. Time is limited, and of course budgets are always limited... DD is curious about these. She's in that place of dancing more and more in bare feet, but still wanting something on her feet. 

At first I thought they were only socks, but I see they now have what looks like half sock type options too.

Looking to hear what you or your dancers think of them. 
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
DD hasn't figured out the right traction to use them for comp (no traction is too slick, but traction makes them too sticky for her liking), and she says they are very hard to get on and off (super tight elastic), so they are the last thing she turns to in the studio. She has both the alpha and infinite option, and says both are a pain to get on. She will wear the socks while tapping in a long class.

Between Apolla and Be You dance socks, she prefers Be You. She wears Be You pretty regularly, but I think they only have the sock option. Be You are also cheaper.
Lorax

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you, rubydancemom ! I really did not want to waste time trying these on without a little real world feedback. I'd never heard of the Be You brand, either. Good to know !
jackilvsmath

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My DD(11) is using the Apolla Performance socks with no traction for a group dance.  I was very and am still a little skeptical about them.  She likes to dance barefoot in general but says that they socks aren't bad.    Many of our older girls wear them all the time.  I was involved in a discussion about them on Facebook and I believe they are also meant to improve arch support for the foot.  They were quite pricey ($31 with shipping) and so DD has been instructed that they are not to leave her sight at a competition under penalty of almost death.

Lorax

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Now I want to try them on for myself to see if I really feel any arch support.

Since they are "socks" can you try them on first? How does that work?

Thanks, jackilvsmath
dncemom01

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #6 
My daughter LOVES hers. She mainly wears them during classes at conventions.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I was a bit nervous because I thought I read or heard somewhere that they weren't really encouraged because it cheats the foot from using the proper muscles to hold up the arch.
Is this true? Or am I making stuff up? It would not surprise me. I buy her arch supports for her uggs. Why wouldn't I for dance.
Lorax

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
You make a good point, Angel2228, but I can't imagine anything flexible enough to function like a sock, even a very very snug fitting tough to put on sock, allowing that much "cheat". The physics just don't back that up. If you can stretch it enough to pull it around your foot, then your muscles in your foot must work very hard to support your body weight in these or any other soft shoe/ sock.
Ca2Ny2Mo

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My dd loves these socks. They hug her arch and you can wear down the traction to watch you prefer. She just loves the feel of them. Only uses them for conventions and her “contemporary “ class.
Rushhourmom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #10 
They just provide compression to the arch area (and more lightly all over). They wouldn’t cheat muscle use at all I wouldn’t think. I do think they reduce muscle fatigue a bit.

But I will say a few critical things about these socks. They pill extremely quickly. And the traction wears off right away (just one Convention weekend for my dancer). They company suggests a few different solutions to add traction back on like spraying e6000 on them. We haven’t found anything that works for more than a single use. And the e6000 and other solutions make every piece of dust or debris stick to the sock essentially permanently because of the glue. Not worth it for the traction. And definitely they don’t stay nice enough to be stage quality unless you had a dedicated pair that you only wore on stage.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.