Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We currently use a Samsonite spinner garment bag (looks like a suitcase, but flips upward and has hangers inside) for costumes, but it's not working well for 2 girls. If they only have a couple dances each that day it can work, doesn't work if they each have 4 dances, but the biggest issue really is that they are far apart in age so can end up in different areas of the dressing room, or at the recital, in an entirely different dressing room. So, I'm always in the midst of a bunch of 16-21 year olds, trying to grab costumes and stuff for my younger one. Plus, I've got another one just getting into dance. So it's time to get more bags!

I like the idea of Rac n' Rolls, Dream Duffles, Pack 2 Rack, etc. but there are 2 competitions we go to that our dressing rooms are small and we have to share with other studios. And these giant racks are really too big for the space. There is usually a hanging rack in the room, but it's totally jammed with costumes so unless you want to end up with yours the floor, it's nice to have your own space to keep them. All the moms that have them show up early, set up, and then anyone else that comes later has no room for their kid. Our current suitcase is pretty good for space since it's only 23" wide and then stands vertical. Here is what we are using now http://demandware.edgesuite.net/sits_pod27/dw/image/v2/AAUE_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-product-catalog/default/dwf70a63f8/collections/_samsonite/Hyperspace/500x500/471641408bi01.jpg?sw=1500

So, I'm looking at the Grit Dance Tower. It's 21" wide I believe and in the small dressing rooms, I had plan to just work out of the bag like I do with our current set up; and not set up the rack. At recital time, I would set up the rack and possibly at our other competition with a larger dressing room. I realize the rack doesn't hold the same amount as the other duffle style bags, but even at the recital we don't have a full set of costumes, since they don't do their solos and duos there. And at competitions, I can leave next days dances behind at the hotel if need be. I don't need to hold everything. And my oldest can still use the Samsonite suitcase.

Anyway, long story, but wanted to give people an idea of my needs. Has anyone tried this bag yet and can give some feedback?

highlandmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I have seen it and it is big.  Reminds me of DS grit hockey bag (sure it is the same overall design).  Just to let you know many hockey teams frown on a player having one of these as they are too big for the dressing rooms.  The Grit hockey bag actually took up more room in our house than DD's rac'n'roll (which is the large)
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Well ugh. I thought since it was narrower than the rac n' roll and vertical, that it would work. But I guess it's also deep? Hmm...I may need to cancel my order then. Maybe I should get another Samsonite. Problem there is it seems Samsonite doesn't sell the style I have in Canada anymore. [frown] The new style doesn't stand. Gah.
LittleMonkeyMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
What about a Dream Duffel carry on?  Several girls on our team have them & really like them.  It doesn't hold a ton (probably a max of 4  costumes + shoes, makeup, etc.), but would probably work reasonably well for what you need without taking up a ton of space in a dressing room. 

http://shop.dreamduffel.com/category.sc?categoryId=38

They have some factory seconds available right now too. 
mackiecat

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I've looked at it at a local dance shop. If my daughter wasn't in her last year I would get it in a heart beat. It will take up less ground space in a dressing room and I think it would be easier to use as you don't have to dig things out. I'd go for it!
highlandmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Okay I found the dimensions for DS hockey bag, I think you would be looking at the same - 18" x 23" x 36" (closed).  Large Rac'n'roll is 30" x 16.5" x 13.5".  That is why to me the Grit bag looked bigger as they were stored upright side-by-side.  I will say that the Grit hockey bag held up very well - we bought it used and it lasted him three seasons and the person prior had it for five.  It was still very functional when we gave it away.
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
LittleMonkeyMom, the Dream Duffels do look nice. I especially like that silver edition one in a size small maybe! That being said, I can't seem to find them easily in Canada and they don't seem to ship here. Even if they did, with our poor Canadian dollar right now, shipping would be outrageous and duty/brokerage costs. Yikes.

highlandmom, thank you. I emailed Grit for the dimensions and she told me 22" wide by 36" tall by 12" deep. But I would think that it was 12" at the top and not the bottom? I've asked for clarification but she hasn't emailed back yet.

And thank you mackiecat. I currently work directly out of the stand up garment bag we have now and it works for me. It's just cumbersome getting to shoes (they are in pocket at the bottom of the bag so you have to lift costumes out of the way) and it's stuffed with shoes for 2 girls. I figured with the Grit I'd just keep the costumes hanging inside and what's nice is, I can close up the bag when not in the dressing room and keep things contained inside. Our current stand up bag ends up staying open due to having to have straps buckled and such when you fold it in half to keep the costumes contained, and then my daughters' stuff ends up spewed out on the floor surrounding the bag. Although it seems the older girls are the worst for that...their area is always the messiest. Probably because they don't have any moms continually organizing!

I sure wish I had the ability to see several of these brands side by side before purchasing!
highlandmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
If you are in the Kitchener area - Inspirations Dancewear did have both the the Grit dance bag and another one (not sure if it was the dream duffle or rac-n-roll).  You may be able to see them both there.
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Okay, I found the Dream Duffel distributor for Canada and they have the carry ons and the silver edition bags that I liked. So I will do some more research on those.
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Unfortunately I am a few days drive away from Kitchener.

I looked more at the Dream Duffels and it seems for the carry on or the small size, I have the same width footprint as the Grit. And once the rack is up with costumes hanging sideways, I am about the same depth as well, but overall taller so I may feel more monstrous. LOL and the Dream Duffels don't seem to be as conducive for just working out of the bag. I think the point may be moot now anyway as while I was typing this my phone popped up an email notification that looks like a shipping notification for the Grit bag I placed an order for yesterday.
emmasissy7

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I quickly looked at the Grit and I like that it is a more vertical bag. I think it would take up a bit less room than my large dream duffel. If we had more years ahead of us I would give it some serious consideration.
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasissy7
I quickly looked at the Grit and I like that it is a more vertical bag. I think it would take up a bit less room than my large dream duffel. If we had more years ahead of us I would give it some serious consideration.

I'm in a bit of a panic now thinking I made the wrong decision. LOL I found the Dance Angel earlier today and thought that one might work for me as well. But what I like about the Grit is its height. I can work out of the bag for several costumes without having to fold them in half and the bottom of the bag is wider so will hopefully fit the ones with tulle and tutu style skirts with less smashing down.

I don't think the rack is near as heavy duty as other bags though so for someone who needed to hang a bunch of heavy costumes along with garment bags and shoes, the Grit probably wouldn't suffice. I weight 4 costumes of my middle daughter's, 2 with either tulle or tutu skirt, and they only weighed a couple pounds. And with keeping the shoes in the bag and not with the costumes, I don't think I'll have an issue with too much weight when I use the rack at recital. Then at recital I can use the fold down shelf for things as well, if I like the bag enough to buy the accessory pack. 

I am happy to hear though that others would consider it as well. Makes me feel better about the decision.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyMom
What about a Dream Duffel carry on?  Several girls on our team have them & really like them.  It doesn't hold a ton (probably a max of 4  costumes + shoes, makeup, etc.), but would probably work reasonably well for what you need without taking up a ton of space in a dressing room. 

http://shop.dreamduffel.com/category.sc?categoryId=38

They have some factory seconds available right now too. 

I think the OP has ruled the carry on out but I just wanted to say (in case others follow this thread) that the carry on holds a lot more than 4 costumes.  We got 11 costumes and most shoes (everything but hip hop sneakers) and a folding accessory bag in dd's back a few years ago at recital.  And that included a ballet costume with a very full tulle skirt.  It's all in how you fold things.  We did not use garment bags... have never found them necessary.
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

I think the OP has ruled the carry on out but I just wanted to say (in case others follow this thread) that the carry on holds a lot more than 4 costumes.  We got 11 costumes and most shoes (everything but hip hop sneakers) and a folding accessory bag in dd's back a few years ago at recital.  And that included a ballet costume with a very full tulle skirt.  It's all in how you fold things.  We did not use garment bags... have never found them necessary.

Well dang, maybe the carry one or the small Dream Duffel would have worked for me then? I just figured I'd prefer to work out of the bag instead of a tall rack, since that is what I am used to right now. And the Grit should allow me to do that better than others. But maybe I would have been fine packing and folding, then taking it all out onto the rack? Ugh...here's to third guessing my decision. LOL
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I would just like to point out that the Grit has absolutely no glitter, sparkles, or rhinestones. Deal breaker! [wink]
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmom
I would just like to point out that the Grit has absolutely no glitter, sparkles, or rhinestones. Deal breaker! [wink]

LOL! I am sure I could figure out how to add some bling if need be! The front pocket is removable for getting a decal or embroidery or whatever. Right now I need it be more bland anyway in case my 18 year old uses it this season and I use the Samsonite for the youngest at comps (and then add the teeny one in for recital).
heartmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

I think it is for sure the garment bags that take up room. If you are ok going without those, you can fit a lot into the dream duffels!
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I'm in Canada and ordered the rac n roll (medium).  No nasty US exchange as they are a Canadian company.  I'm really happy with it.
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerinaPaisley06
I'm in Canada and ordered the rac n roll (medium).  No nasty US exchange as they are a Canadian company.  I'm really happy with it.

Grit is Canadian too and the Dance Tower was designed in Canada. I didn't know Rac n Roll was Canadian though so thanks for sharing!
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Bag arrived yesterday! My oldest may use for competition at end of May instead of the Samsonite, she'll decide which ones she wants to use (my younger one isn't in that competition). Then I'll use it the following weekend for my younger one. So I won't be able to give it a full review for over a month.

If anyone has questions in the meantime, let me know!
jemn

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #21 
QueenMauw, would love an update -- did your daughter start using the GRIT tower? thoughts? I need a new bag (rac n roll fell apart) and am trying to decide between the GRIT tower and another rac n roll. 
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
We used it for 2 comps and the recital last season. We are very happy with it. One competition we have a very tight fit in the dressing room, so for that one, I didn't put up the hanging arms and we just worked out of the bag. It was nice to have that option.

For the other comp and recital, I could use the arms. Then we also used the shelf inside the bag and I could set all our "in use" items like her brush, hair spray, etc. instead of having to set them on the floor while she was getting ready.

The space under the shelf is where she puts her street shoes/clothing or if a quick change is required, I got her to toss the worn costume and shoes there and I'd hang it after she had left to go practice or head back stage.

My only complaint really is that the inside is black so it's dark in there if you're looking for something under the shelf. Not a deal breaker though. I think having the ability to hang costumes in the bag and work out of the bag in tight spaces is a real benefit.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: