Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I need to kibbutz to see if I should speak up or sit back on an issue...
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Yes!  Howdy Judie!  Where does your dancer dance at?

Sept24_61.jpg 

Amomofonedancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes. My freshman is on a college dance team at a large university.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Yes. Second year for us.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, but a newbie who knows very little about this new world.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
She dances at Hofstra.  It is a great program and she loves her team mates and coach.

I just have questions about dancing through injuries when there is no access to PT or trainers for dancers since they are not technically "athletes". 

I also have concerns about teaching her to advocate for herself when she needs to leave a practice to attend class.  Especially practices that were added after the scheduling she did to avoid conflicts.  She feels very torn.  She wants to pul her weight, but also needs to not worry that going to class takes priority over a two mile run assigned because someone else was five minutes late.

Anyone else experience these growing pains?  I am all for letting go, but am not sure at what point I get to step in as the one who pays the tuition.
mamaw

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
In Ontario (and the rest of Canada, I am pretty sure?), it is very different. The  dance teams do jazz, tap, contemporary, hip hop, ballet...and they compete against other university dance teams at competitions that run special university/ college competition days.  The prizes are Tim's cards, shot glasses, cases of beer...no ribbons or trophies.(keep in mind the drinking age is 19)  It's great.  They compete "against" their friends they used to dance with who have all gone to separate universities/ colleges, so it's like a reunion of sorts...and far less drama and no parental involvement to speak of other than if parents show up and watch for fun!  It's kind of like how dance comps should have always been [smile]
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Yes, there is no parental 'involvement' other than me expecting that my kid gets attention for an injury sustained during practice.  It is incredibly competitive, and she wouldn't have it any other way.  She is very excited about true National competition.  

MY concern is that she is hurt, there is no university sponsored treatment for the injury, and they are pushed to physical limits that are greater than their men's basketball team. No lie.  She lives two doors down from a basketball player and she is at workout and practice more than he is.

I just wanted to know if this is the norm or if this is just crazy.

Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I'm sorry that your daughter is injured. I feel that academics really have to be the priority in college. If she is on some sort of dance team scholarship, then it is more complicated, but she is there to get an education. Please don't ignore injuries, even if you have to pay out of pocket for PT.
carriesmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We went through similar with DD last year, when she had a pretty serious concussion in September of her freshman year.  As a parent I had a very hard time knowing how much to say, or not say, when I saw her pushing herself beyond what I knew she could safely do to keep up with academics and dance team practices which did often conflict with each other.  It is all a learning process for them, being away from home for the first time and being an adult, but not........I think you are right to keep an eye on it, while having conversations with your DD about the facts that (1) ultimately she is there for school, and that she needs to let academics take precedence when there is a conflict, and (2) ignoring an injury is only going to make it worse rather than make it go away, and that if there is no medical person assigned to the dance team she needs to check in with the campus health center or let you know so you can make arrangements to have her properly evaluated elsewhere.  It does get better - my DD is now a sophomore and has gotten much better about listening to her body, and about speaking up when something is too much.
mamaw

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I do think that in the case of your daughter's injury that you have every right to speak up or encourage or even demand that she speaks up . Is she on scholarship? I am willing to bet the basketball player down the hall is and is treated with kit gloves. Dancers, cheerleaders and pompon squads are not nearly as respected by the school athletic department and they work all season long for every sport. You do have every right to complain.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Congrats on dancing for Hofstra! Unfortunately, because dance team is not a university "sport" at your institution, the athletic department does not directly serve her and this is very normal.  Perhaps she can speak to her coach about where/how dancers have received PT services before?

ETA - the dance department might have good recommendations too.
dancemom7777

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My DD is starting high school and is already talking about life as a college team dancer someday. I'm worried enough about paying for college and don't even want to think about the costs for being on a dance team. Can any of you give me a sense for what kind of money we could be looking at?
Amomofonedancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemom7777
My DD is starting high school and is already talking about life as a college team dancer someday. I'm worried enough about paying for college and don't even want to think about the costs for being on a dance team. Can any of you give me a sense for what kind of money we could be looking at?

If she is on the official team for a large university, it is likely the university will cover all the costs, including travel and clothing- even shoes. My dd elected to join a club team that competes at the NDA and does some performances (like at homecoming parade, etc). They do some fund-raising and we are responsible for remaining costs.  Total costs for the year are only about $1600.  They don't have all the costumes and comp fees like studio competitive dance.  Also of note is that they choreograph their own numbers for public performances and only pay for choreography for two numbers for competition. The girls have enough experience that they can clean their own dances, for the most part. 

Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I'm following this thread...my daughter is about to start her senior year of hs and we are narrowing down a short list of where she'll be applying, and she is interested in a dance team. It's my understanding that there are two types - club, which runs their own program, and athletic, which is sponsored by the football and basketball programs. She is hoping for a big football university to cheer/dance sideline but it's not a dealbreaker. She also wants to compete, esp if there is no football. I guess it all depends on a lot! Any words of advice you have, we'll take! 

(She's been on her hs song/pom team all throughout high school so has a lot of pom experience)
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
My daughter's dance team is sponsored by the university; they only compete.  Same for the cheer team.
Amomofonedancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinandlovinit
I'm following this thread...my daughter is about to start her senior year of hs and we are narrowing down a short list of where she'll be applying, and she is interested in a dance team. It's my understanding that there are two types - club, which runs their own program, and athletic, which is sponsored by the football and basketball programs. She is hoping for a big football university to cheer/dance sideline but it's not a dealbreaker. She also wants to compete, esp if there is no football. I guess it all depends on a lot! Any words of advice you have, we'll take! 

(She's been on her hs song/pom team all throughout high school so has a lot of pom experience)

I discussed this with my dd who wanted to continue to dance in college, focusing on trying to get her to think about how much of a commitment did she want to make to dance in college. I think career plans are the most important determinant of the time commitment. My dd is pre-med and needs to maintain close to a 4.0 with a pretty challenging curriculum.  So, she decided that she did wanted to focus more on school and less on dance in college. 

We determined time commitment for a university sponsored, official dance team was determined by (1) how high they place at Nationals and/ or (2) how many games/ year they are required to perform at (performing at away games or bowl games requires missing class time also).  My dd purposely sought a dance team that was not ranked that high in the National competitions because we watched someone close to us struggle with academics because of the extreme requirements of practices. Her team that is ranked in the top 5, had extra practices and frequently had practices that ran over by 1-2 hours, with some practices going to midnight before a competition. There were lots of injuries on the team as dancers were pushed to their limits. Her GPA was negatively affected by dance team requirements- but she did seem to enjoy dance team a lot and was proud of her team's accomplishments. Also of note is that the University sponsored dance team at my dd's school requires dancers to do many, many ball game performances. 

My dd decided to join a club dance team that competes at the NDA. This allowed her to continue in dance without having the commitment of having to perform at all the basketball (men's and women's) and football games as she wanted to focus more on academics in college. Also of note is that the Dance Team at her school seems to have more of a cheer feel to it- so my dd preferred the club team because it is a little bit more like studio dance. She enjoyed going to the NDA Daytona Beach Nationals in March rather than the UDA Nationals in Orlando in January; the girls had a great time at the beach. 
diane92

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
My daughter left today for year 2 on a large university dance team.   They are treated as athletes and most of the costs are covered.  She loves it.

Diane

Amomofonedancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Just got a text from dd on her NDA camp.  Her team got Best All-Around Gold Bid and she received All-American & Pin-it-Forward awards, and a NDA staff offer!!  She is having a great time on Dance Team and also in college.  [smile]
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amomofonedancer
Just got a text from dd on her NDA camp.  Her team got Best All-Around Gold Bid and she received All-American & Pin-it-Forward awards, and a NDA staff offer!!  She is having a great time on Dance Team and also in college.  [smile]

Is she in Palm Desert? My dd is at NDA camp right now in Palm Desert but she's still in high school. 
Amomofonedancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinandlovinit

Is she in Palm Desert? My dd is at NDA camp right now in Palm Desert but she's still in high school. 

She just finished camp at the collegiate level in Missouri... I am sure she would have loved to be in Palm Desert though.  What a great location for a dance camp. [cool]
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amomofonedancer

She just finished camp at the collegiate level in Missouri... I am sure she would have loved to be in Palm Desert though.  What a great location for a dance camp. [cool]

Well, maybe if she takes that NDA staff offer!?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.