Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Now that we have settled on competing as Independent and transferring training to ballet school does anyone have any advice?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My advice is to keep your eye on the prize. It sounds like the ultimate goal you are seeking (or your dancing is seeking) is better training. She should get all that she can out of that ballet training for now.

One thing I noticed at dd's ballet school was that the dancers who did not participate in the optional performances (full length ballets) did not progress as quickly as those that did. Those rehearsals end up translating into hours of additional corrections. My dd ended up finding that she did not miss competition once she got involved in those productions. The sense of camaraderie she got from being on a team was replaced with the friendships she made during the off times on rehearsal days. And, she felt like she was part of something even bigger than a competition dance. So, if there are those sorts of opportunities available to her at the ballet school, she should give them a shot. 

I think the tricky part may be that your dd is seeking jazz and contemporary training elsewhere. Only in that those studios may or may not be fussy about her competing as an independent. They might not even be fussy at all (fussy for lack of another word). Dd had a dancer in her classes at the ballet school that ended up taking extra classes at a comp school. The comp school was thrilled to have her compete under their name. The first year, I believe she did one group there and 2 solos. Later on, she only did solos. She obviously did well. [smile] 
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Tendu...so is that something I should be talking to the studio owner about when she registers to take the jazz and contemporary? That she will be competing as an Independent? It never occurred to me that could be a problem so thank you for bringing it up. I wouldn't mind her competing under their name but I highly doubt they would want that unless she was on their team doing groups and then we get right back to being under a contract.

And she definitely wants to be in the ballet school productions. I think the only one they do each year is Nutcracker but it is a huge one. She said she wants to take as much ballet as she can!

She is getting excited about the move! Which makes me feel so at peace.

dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
If you are just taking classes at a studio they shouldn't have any issue with your DD competing as an independent. That's actually none of their business. I wouldn't ask permission. The good news is I've never heard of that being an issue.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofdanceobsessed
Tendu...so is that something I should be talking to the studio owner about when she registers to take the jazz and contemporary? That she will be competing as an Independent? It never occurred to me that could be a problem so thank you for bringing it up. I wouldn't mind her competing under their name but I highly doubt they would want that unless she was on their team doing groups and then we get right back to being under a contract. And she definitely wants to be in the ballet school productions. I think the only one they do each year is Nutcracker but it is a huge one. She said she wants to take as much ballet as she can! She is getting excited about the move! Which makes me feel so at peace.

Unless you're on their comp team they'll likely have no interest (& certainly no say) in what you're doing on your own time. Having to tell them about competing independently would be akin to having to tell them about the afterschool volleyball club imo.  Although I might suggest that you do what you can to avoid competing at the same comps... just to eliminate any awkwardness.

And I agree that you'd likely have a hard time finding a team that would allow you limited participation... typically, & for obvious reasons, it's their way or the highway. Fwiw my own dd switched to a ballet school from a comp studio at 14 & spent the next 2 yrs competing a couple of independent solos.  We ended up realizing that keeping the details from the ballet school was in dd's best interest as well.  As long as it's not interfering w/any of the commitments you make to them (performances/ rehearsals), you aren't hurting anyone so it's really no one's business what you're doing on your own time.   Good luck to you.
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

Unless you are on their comp team they will likely have no interest (and certainly no say) in what you are doing on your own time.  Having to tell them about competing independently would be akin having to tell them about the afterschool volleyball club imo.  And I agree that you're likely to have a hard time finding a team that will allow you participate in a manner that meets your needs... typically,and for obvious reasons, it's their way or the highway. Fwiw my own dd switched to a ballet school from a comp studio at 14 and spent the next 2 yrs competing a couple of independent solos.  We ended up realizing that keeping the details from the ballet school was in dd's best interest as well.  As long as it's not interfering with any of the commitments you make to them (performances/rehearsals), you aren't hurting anyone so it's really no one's business what you're doing on your own time.   Good luck to you.

Where did your daughter practice her solo? I was thinking about inquiring about studio rental from one of these schools. Bad idea?
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
The 1st year she rehearsed at one of her choreo's studios for free as she was there once a wk anyway for a class (she'd stay an extra hr after class).  The 2nd year she no longer took that class & the drive was really too much for just a solo rehearsal so I contacted a studio down the street & inquired about renting studio space once a week for a couple of months.  Ended up that she volunteered as as assistant in a couple of preschool classes in return for unlimited studio space... but I was more than willing to pay $25 or so per week for that opportunity.

As far as whether you should ask the studios you are attending... I can't say.  It would depend on their attitude about supporting an independent dancer.  If there is any chance that it could just complicate things for you (in other words, if you don't know for sure that they'd be supportive), I'd encourage you to approach other studios instead.  Just to be safe. 

momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you! I have several options in my head. I know something will work out but it is overwhelming to think about. I am glad she was already established at ballet school so she will just add more classes there. Finding a choreographer although we have someone in mind seems daunting.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
If you would like to toss around ideas with someone, feel free to pm me.  It sounds like a daunting task but it's really not.  I know I benefiited greatly from the experience of those who had gone before me. 
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Heidi I would love that! I have never private messaged on here. Do you have to be a special member to do that?
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Nope [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: