Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ScottishDanceMum

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 

Hi all!

I'm still hunting for our next tap solo.  I ran across "Do your thing" today used in an ad on tv... there's lots of videos on YouTube of this being used for tap numbers about 5 years ago. Is it one that's still popular?  

emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
No I really didn't hear it used very often. It wasn't one of those classics that you would hear at every competition.

DD danced to it when she was tapping, but I never really heard it that often.

Her DT used an acoustic version of it that I hunted for endlessly, but never found. It was completely different than I'd ever heard before and everybody loved it. 

I think its a great song and lots of fun!
ScottishDanceMum

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 

Thanks, Emmymom!

I'm trying to keep an eye out for age-appropriate music, and it's harder than I thought!  I'll have a look for the acoustic version too.

ScottishDanceMum

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 

Some acoustic versions I found...

angelashunter

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We actually have a team member using this song as her solo this season!
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Two mini dancers on our team are doing tap solos for the first time this year: one is dancing to Good Golly Miss Molly and the other is dancer to ABCs of Love. Both were well received at our first comp and. I think if you stick to anything in the genre of Good Golly Miss Molly it would be a great choice for this age group. The songs are fast paced and fun and lyrics clean. 
jdlw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
How old is your daughter?
jdlw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I don't often see "Do your thing" for tap anymore...Although one of the competitions we went to used it before their awards ceremonies for years...I'm trying to remember which one - although now that I think about it, I don't think I've heard it before awards ceremonies in the last year either.
ScottishDanceMum

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlw
How old is your daughter?

Daughter is 8.

I looked the song up and found that Basement Jaxx released it in the early 00's - I hadn't realised it had been around that long.  

DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I don't think it's overused. My older daughter is very into tap and is doing something in a similar vein called "Happy Dance".  It's fun and jazzy. Have a great season!
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I really like the original version of this song, and I don't think I've seen it overused at comps.
Ang091

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #12 
This was DD tap solo song last year. Only heard it a handful of times other than hers. Definitely a fun song!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
We had an 11 year tap to Crazy Feet by Fred Astaire one year and do really well.  Great song.
Momandmore

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I hear it maybe once a year which is low in my opinion.  Our studio used it a few years ago and it worked very well for a tap duet.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I don't think I've ever seen that used for a tap solo.  I like it!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.