Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So, I dropped dd off for class a little while ago and 5 minutes later I got a phone call from SO 
saying that the comp may not allow dd to dance in the splint or that she may need a doctor's note allowing it. She has a call into them to find out. Have any of you that have kids that have danced with injuries before experienced this?
Thanks.

ETA: this weekend's comp is Nexstar
tutumuchmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
DD14 performed in a splint at Spotlight just 3 weeks ago, and performed in a bright pink cast at Showbiz last weekend.  I didn't have to sign any type of waiver, no one said a word.  In fact, the judges at Showbiz commented on my creative ways to dress the cast in her critiques (used a black dress sock like a glove for black costumes, and wrapped in an Ace wrap for costumes without sleeves).  I do have to say, though, I had no problem with her dancing in a splint or a cast.  She was able to adjust any floor movements in dances but I think the cast messed with her head a little.  I've seen dancers at competitions up on stage dancing and then going back in a fracture boot right off stage.  I am horrified by that, just horrified.  Good luck!

And now... we are back in the splint.  Saw the hand surgeon yesterday, took the cast off and proceeded to manually bend her fingers into a fist.  Now we have swelling again, along with some finger deformity and loss of sensation to the tip of her finger.  You can bet I'm not going back to THAT doctor.  So she'll be the one with the big black brace on... again.  Doesn't hamper her dancing, but band on the other hand is a completely different story.  Can't really play the flute without using those fingers.
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
^ Actually my daughter did the boot thing you speak of- she had a peroneal tendon injury mid season... And the orthopedic surgeon had her limit mobility but allowed her to perform for competitions. I think the injury took a little longer to heal but it worked for us and she has no issue with it in the past year.

She's had teammates with arm/hand casts with no problem- a double layer of old tights helps it blend if necessary.
dance1912

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
One of my daughter's teammates has been in a cast or wrist wrap all season. Not a single issue and she even does a beautiful ballet solo. Can't imagine a comp having a problem with it! Good luck
tutumuchmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKDAD
^ Actually my daughter did the boot thing you speak of- she had a peroneal tendon injury mid season... And the orthopedic surgeon had her limit mobility but allowed her to perform for competitions. I think the injury took a little longer to heal but it worked for us and she has no issue with it in the past year. She's had teammates with arm/hand casts with no problem- a double layer of old tights helps it blend if necessary.

We had the boot thing also for a fracture and an acute sprain; was out for a couple of comps and it's still my biggest fear for her.  I'm glad to hear your daughter healed well!  Side note:  I didn't even think of the old tights idea!
Klba37

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We have had dancers in cast/splints and they still danced at competition. I have seen some from other studios also.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
SO heard back from Nexstar and they do not require the note, so we're good! Thank God
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: