Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heromom
My son will be graduating from AMDA on June 4. He really has liked it and feels he made a great choice. He feels they have prepared him for the world of pro dance. He made fantastic contacts and had numerous performance opportunities. It is not an easy program ...he had classes from 9am until 7pm then rehearsals till 11pm some days. I think the summer intensive would help her get an idea what the program is like.

Out of curiosity, is your son headed towards commercial or concert dance?  I'm asking because my daughter received an AMDA scholarship at Starpower this year.  We are going to be in LA this summer, so we are going to try to check out the LA campus.  But...she really wants the BFA (as do I), and her preference is concert dance over commercial.  Right now Point Park is her #1 choice, but AMDA is worth taking a closer look at with the scholarship.  
heromom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. He is going towards commercial dance. Some of his classmates are going towards concert dance. I think they do a great job of preparing them for both avenues.

I will say this. He graduated June 4 and has already booked a professional job and a pretty big one. His contract prevents me from saying what it is specifically but I hope to be able to say sometime in the near future.

I would say it definitely worth checking out.
Ellie'sMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Hi, I have no insight yet, but I have been looking into the school for my dd (junior in HS this fall). We got shut out of the open house that was this past weekend, but we have time (and are local-enough to get to another one). We are interested in Theatre. So I'd like to follow this thread [smile]

I have already heard many of the mixed reviews that are on this thread elsewhere  (and like here, the older ones tend to be less favorable, not sure if anything has changed). Ive heard about the dorms (I live in NY, so 'gross' is subjective, lol, but I'd like to see what the security is like).  

I've also heard that it is incredibly intense, but I wouldn't expect anything different (comments that you eat, sleep and breathe theater, but this is what my dd wants... and does now in HS).  We have a family friend (through other family, who we see maybe 2-3 times a year) who worked there (in an administrative capacity). She has since retired, but had lovely things to say about the school. In the drama/Musical theatre world, they have a good number of working alumni. I know a degree (from any school) doesn't guarantee work, but I feel it's a plus.

mbw12

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #29 
My daughter is looking into this school. we went to the open house 2 weeks ago and she fell in love with it! I told her not to get her heart set on one school!! As for he dorms and someone previously posting saying "gross".... well it's NYC so saying "gross" is subjective I guess...they were quite small (even for NYC , which is saying a lot) but other then that, they we're clean, etc.
heromom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
I don't know much about the NYC campus. The LA campus dorms were ok as far as dorms go. My son and friends moved after the 3rd semester to an apartment which was a bit less expensive.
Ellie'sMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #31 
We went to the open house last week (for musical theatre). On the surface, it seems like a great school to learn the craft. The teachers seems very knowledgable, engaged and seem to have high expectations. For MT, they broke the group into smaller groups and did two 'workshops', one of which was dance, and they taught the kids a little combination. The other was vocal, where we heard current students sing, and discuss their process. The MT program seems to be pretty dance-heavy, which I like (and my dd would greatly benefit from). 

The dorms were 'tight', I would say. We saw one building, the halls were narrow, the rooms small, not a ton of common space (none on the floors, all on the first floor). It was definitely not fancy at all. But hey, it's NYC (speaking as a Yew Yorker, I wasn't completely grossed out, but DD felt that she'd feel too cooped up in them). Having said that, dorms are not a must for us.

My other concern is, that for MT, the BFA would need to be completed in LA. I'm not sure if that's the way my dd would want to go (she wants NY/Theatre acting, but really wants BFA after her name). However, there is no obligation to complete the four year/degree. She could stop after two (but would NOT have a college degree). We have time, as well as other options to look at, but I think she will most likely audition, to keep her options open. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: