Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
heromom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Does anyone know anyone who goes to  or went to AMDA?  My DS auditioned with them and I was wondering about selection criteria, scholarships and the program in general.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 

AMDA is one of a few my DD15 is already thinking about and considering.  I am interested in any info on this as well.

gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Sorry, no.
dancerinpa

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi. My dd was going to look at them but we decided against it. I have heard great things about the LA one but the housing and program in NYC is not so good. My dd stayed in their housing and I will just say it is beyond gross! She was going to audition for LA only.  It is a for profit program so I don't think they give many scholarships but you have a son and I have to say they do give more money to boys. When my dd was looking at it 2 years ago they were only giving around 3-5,000 dollars per year as scholarships for dance. The other programs may be more. I don't know about selectivity but I would think you could go on college prowler and they should have the acceptance rate. Good Luck!
mom2dancingdiva

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I know three girls there, two of which are graduating in a couple of weeks.  I also know a young man who will be attending this fall.  All of the kids I know are in the LA program.  What I do know about the program is that you have to make the best of your time there.  From what I know there is a workshop at the end of each semester and you audition for those pieces and are chosen by the choreographers to be a part of their piece.  With that being said, I am sure there are dancers who don't audition and/or aren't selected.

I don't think there is much in scholarship money from my conversations with the parents.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Oh dear ... My DD is interested in NYC .... not sounding good.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
A dancer from our studio completed her first year in LA and is transferring to NY. I know she had a ton of performance opportunities and took advantage of them all. She had a lot of scholarship money but I don't know the source.
dancemom1031

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Here's what I know:
Only LA offers a degree. NYC is not a degree program, but you can transfer to LA after finishing at NYC to get a degree.
It's super expensive.
AMDA also doesn't have the best reputation everywhere, partly due to the price/take em in spit em out sort of deal. My parents are in "the business" and my dad totally agrees with me on this. In high school, everyone called it SCAMDA
I do however have a friend that went. She sang like an angel before she went, and still does now that she's done. The program was good for her because she hates school, isn't very academic and probably wouldn't have made it through a 4 year program, but she has expressed regret about not going to a more well know school.
heromom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you all for the feedback.  This was the first of several auditions he will go through.  I am hoping he at least gets accepted so it doesn't mess with his confidence.  I pray he ends up with lots of choices and scholarship $$ because they are all expensive.

yvie_dance

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #10 

As a recent graduate from the AMDA Dance Department I hope that I can give some insight by sharing my experience. I received my Bachelors Degree from the Los Angeles campus in 2012 in only 2 years and 8 months. During my time at AMDA not only was I thoroughly immersed into the world of dance performance and technique, but I was also given the opportunity to express myself as an artist and get a taste of musical theater and acting.

Class Schedules are rigorous; at times you’ll be taking up to 10 classes a semester. However, not all classes are held every day; it varies from once to twice to three times a week. The majority of your classes will be dance classes, but will also include an acting or musical theater class, a speech and diction class and a general education/critical studies class. Every semester varies between which dance classes or elective classes you can take. The awesome part about AMDA is the options!! Just to name a few here is a list of dances classes you would be taking:

Ballet

Tap

Jazz

Hip-Hop

Modern

Contemporary

Every class is a performance based class and will mold an individual who is not afraid to be on stage alone and can take the presence of the room.  

Aside from the performance opportunities in class AMDA offers many other performance opportunities outside the classroom. There are huge shows such as Dance Workshop to small shows such as Raise the Barre. Dance students aren’t limited to just Dance Shows, they can be in the plays, musicals or any other performance opportunities available on campus as long as they audition and make the show.

AMDA provides a hand’s on education, working the entire body plus the brain to step out of every comfort zone possible 24/7. You won’t find a school like this anywhere else and what better place to begin a performance career than in New York or Los Angeles.

The program gives students the fundamentals to enter the dance world safely. Whether they would like to join a company, give the commercial world a go or dance their way through Broadway. A lot of my alumni friends are doing just that! And so am I. I have been a part of a dance company here in Los Angeles, I am a dance teacher for a small business, I’ve worked on short films as an actor and as crew and I have even entered the modeling world with the skills I have learned at AMDA.

Check out the AMDA website or call their Admissions department for help with tution and scholarship questions. They were always very helpful to me.

jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Nicely written bit of marketing.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne4379
Nicely written bit of marketing.

MooseysBiggestFan

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Honestly, I think that if there are connections to be made at AMDA for a dancer with commercial aspirations than it is probably a fine school for what they are looking for.  Being in NYC and LA is expensive and if it makes a parent feel better to have their child enrolled in college so they can continue dancing, singing, and acting while trying to find their way in this career then go for it.  Living in LA or NYC, working at Starbucks trying to make rent, trying to pay for/attend classes, and then on top of that trying to get an agent and go on auditions is a lot.   Taking 4 years in a post HS program of any kind (be it STEPS, Joffrey, AMDA, or a host of other colleges out there) gives dancers (or actors or singers) 4 more years of intense training that parents can finance with the help of PLUS Loans, college funds, scholarships, whatever.  A lot of parents cannot just afford to support a young adult moving to the big city and most jobs kids are qualified for straight out of HS do not pay much.  The cliche of the struggling artist waiting tables to support themselves is not as realistic as one might think (my DD lives in a large city and every waitress job advertised asks for at least 2 years of experience).  The job market is not that great.  I think do what you want to do, and what feels right if you want to support your son in this dream.
twinkletoesmom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
My daughter is attending their High school summer conservatory this summer and will audition for college acceptance while there. So when this is done i'll come back and give a better evaluation. I do know a few girls who have gone their and loved it one was taken on as faculty this winter so i know she loves it.

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoesmom
My daughter is attending their High school summer conservatory this summer and will audition for college acceptance while there. So when this is done i'll come back and give a better evaluation. I do know a few girls who have gone their and loved it one was taken on as faculty this winter so i know she loves it.

This is a really old thread from 2013 but ..........I'd be very interested in your/your dd's opinion. My dd received a scholarship to the summer program at a Starpower regional.  She's got a pretty busy summer already and I wasn't able to find anything in the way of reviews though so I'm afraid to chance it.
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I don't know personally, but when my DD expressed interest, our school's theatre teachers are trying to dissuade her. They feel that if your child has the ability to handle the academics, they should go to a more traditional college. Yes they do offer a BFA, but it is all performance based, so if your child decides to transfer at some point, many of those credits will not transfer. If you are truly looking at the conservatory program, that is different, but it is not a degree program. I told DD we would visit and look at the programs, but check around the internet, many people call it "scamda" which scares me.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyarg
I don't know personally, but when my DD expressed interest, our school's theatre teachers are trying to dissuade her. They feel that if your child has the ability to handle the academics, they should go to a more traditional college. Yes they do offer a BFA, but it is all performance based, so if your child decides to transfer at some point, many of those credits will not transfer. If you are truly looking at the conservatory program, that is different, but it is not a degree program. I told DD we would visit and look at the programs, but check around the internet, many people call it "scamda" which scares me.

My cousin's dd is at the theatre program there and is very very happy w/it from what I understand.  I don't know if she's in the degree program or the conservatory program though.  I tend to think, like most things, it might be what you choose to make of it.  The location can't be beat.  I can't believe that there aren't important connections to be made given that.  What you do with it all is up to you though.  In they end, they can't make you successful... that's on you.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I've heard the same as theyarg in every way. That said, dd does have a childhood friend who decided to go there for musical theater. She plans to spend 2 years in NYC and then 2 years in LA.

Dd met up with her friend one day after they learned they were both in NYC within a few blocks of each other all the time. The friend mentioned that they are not permitted to audition while they are enrolled there. Dd was taken aback by that. While dd found it hard to go to auditions while dancing a heavy schedule, commuting and doing school work, she felt that if you are right there, in NYC, you should take advantage and do some auditions. Her friend is really enjoying the program and feels she is getting a tremendous amount out of it. 
intdancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Our SO's daughter did the NY Program and just finished last year.  She loved it and she auditioned for shows while she was still attending and told us it was encouraged.  She has had nothing but good things to say about the program.

SortaReluctant1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I've heard good things about it. DD didn't wind up auditioning there but one of her friends is going to start in the fall.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Does anybody know heromom? I'd love to hear how her son is doing
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Our SO's daughter did the NY Program and just finished last year.  She loved it and she auditioned for shows while she was still attending and told us it was encouraged.  She has had nothing but good things to say about the program

Good to know! Maybe it's only first semester or something when they aren't supposed to be auditioning? Dd met with her friend in the fall.  
heromom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoesmom

heromom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
My son will be graduating from AMDA on June 4. He really has liked it and feels he made a great choice. He feels they have prepared him for the world of pro dance. He made fantastic contacts and had numerous performance opportunities. It is not an easy program ...he had classes from 9am until 7pm then rehearsals till 11pm some days. I think the summer intensive would help her get an idea what the program is like.
MSDanceMomma

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heromom
My son will be graduating from AMDA on June 4. He really has liked it and feels he made a great choice. He feels they have prepared him for the world of pro dance. He made fantastic contacts and had numerous performance opportunities. It is not an easy program ...he had classes from 9am until 7pm then rehearsals till 11pm some days. I think the summer intensive would help her get an idea what the program is like.

That is awesome heromom!   Those are long days but guess that will prepare him for the real world. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: