Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 
My dd is 7 and in the junior groups. They just started choreography this week for some of her dances but we won’t know of any extras (small groups or s/d/t) until next week, when the offers go out. And those don’t start until end of November. Our first comp is in April.
Last year I stressed out over everything, because it was our first year on the comp team. This year I’m not going to stress, not worth it. It all eventually falls into place.
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
We know our placements but my dd has only started choreo for her solo, and only one session so far. But they start working on the group routines this weekend, all day Sat and all day Sun. And we have a choreo schedule through December.  The younger kids started in the beginning of October. We don't know our comp schedule yet, and with my previous job that would have posed a huge problem, as vacation requests for the next year were done in October and I had very little seniority. Now it's not a big deal as I don't work there anymore. But a few years ago without a comp schedule at the end of October I would have been majorly freaking out and risked not being able to attend nationals if I didn't ask for the right week off. 

Have you PAID for any of these non-existent routines yet? 

I know of at least one well-known studio that doesn't start comp routines until after Christmas break, usually later, but the families know that this is how it is every year.  
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
You have no idea how many groups or anything? That’s the weird part. We know that in the summer before we commit to anything. Choreography is in various stages for us from almost complete to not started which is par for the course. Out first competition is early February. We will do a lot of choreo over Thanksgiving and Winter breaks. My younger DD 8 has 5 groups - 4 are started and a solo- half done. My older DD 12 has 6 groups (maybe 7) and 4 s/d/t - 3 groups have been started and the s/d/t are all about half done.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKDAD
You have no idea how many groups or anything? That’s the weird part. We know that in the summer before we commit to anything. Choreography is in various stages for us from almost complete to not started which is par for the course. Out first competition is early February. We will do a lot of choreo over Thanksgiving and Winter breaks. My younger DD 8 has 5 groups - 4 are started and a solo- half done. My older DD 12 has 6 groups (maybe 7) and 4 s/d/t - 3 groups have been started and the s/d/t are all about half done.

Dd's studio was the same way.  You would fill out a form before the season began telling them the maximum number of pieces you were okay with... but you didn't find out what or how many until they were ready to begin choreo.  Which, as I said, could be as late as January.  Sounds crazy to those who are so used to a different way of doing things, I'm sure, but it worked just fine.  All in what you're used to, I guess.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
We don't have anything yet except DD15's 2 solos.  But it's not SOs fault.  We are a teeny tiny studio and lost 3 girls due to graduation.  There was a lot of waiting to see if there was going to be a senior team.  In the end there aren't enough girls to do a group dance so dd will do her 2 solos, a trio and a duet.  The choreo on the trio and duet hasn't even started yet but they are doing a Halloween performance on the 28th so I'm sure they will start right after that.  The Jr team started their choreo the 2nd week in September.

We don't know what comps we're doing yet.  Just a holiday performance at a zoo event.  I'm hoping we'll find out after the Halloween show.  But after so many years of this, I've learned to just go with the flow and not get worked up about things.

NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

Dd's studio was the same way.  You would fill out a form before the season began telling them the maximum number of pieces you were okay with... but you didn't find out what or how many until they were ready to begin choreo.  Which, as I said, could be as late as January.  Sounds crazy to those who are so used to a different way of doing things, I'm sure, but it worked just fine.  All in what you're used to, I guess.

Yes- I can see that.

Our Form is the same way but typically by September we’re told the final number and styles (maybe not song- sometimes style or group makeup subject to change- as is currently the case- lol)

We’ve had numbers finish choreo the night before the comp unfortunately but usually by the end of winter break everything is done. Or close to it. January may be little missing pieces or one Dance left with feb being first competition
mydogteaser

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #32 
DD's studio has a six week summer session and the kids started learning the dances then.  They also had an intensive week in August where they rehearsed daily for several hours.  The regular season started the week of September 11 and the kids have been rehearsing since then.  They have four group numbers and one production.  DD said they are just about finished learning all of the choreography and then it will be cleaning it before the first competition.  This is DD's first year of competition, so we aren't doing solos, duos, or trios.  Those kids, though, have had weekly practices since the beginning of September, too.  Since DD isn't doing any, I don't know where they are in choreography.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Every stuis different. We are in the middle of Nutcracker rehearsals. We know our competition dates but no group or small groups have been assigned but we are not competing until May and will go to a local Nationals in July. I wouldn’t worry. I know it’s to get frustrated in the beginning but by the time you’ve been doing it more than 10 years you’ll find it’s not that big of a deal!! Enjoy the ride. It’s a crazy one!
SpicyLuck

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #34 
That's weird in my opinion. I understand that different studios have different times when they prepare and practice. The issue isn't when in my opinion; it's that the studio leadership there can't give the parents a window or a timeframe. Clearly, people have life's outside of dance. They have family vacations, school events, and an array of other things. A sport outside of school should be exciting, fun. If it's a team sport the commitment should help train our babies to be responsible adults. I totally understand that aspect, but what troubles me is the evasiveness. What your curious about is completely normal and not over the top. I personally don't think I could leave my children anywhere that leaves me with a sick feeling. Call it a parents intuition or whatever. I understand studio owners shutting down pushy and over the top parentals. However; you just wanting some itinerary is normal. I am a total type B and laid back person too and I find that bizarre and unfair.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #35 
First studio you found out when you got your registration package what company you were in and what tech classes and large groups, lines and solos you were invited to.  Around October you found out small groups and duets/trios.

Second studio you found out at registration what company you were in and what tech classes you were taking.  Invites for regular groups went out late Septemer, s/d/t, company elite, and small groups went out late November.
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #36 
We got our info late this year. I think beginning of Oct. our team grew and it was an overwhelming experience for setting groups. We ended up with large and small groups. So DD has 6 groups all together plus her solo. Her solo has been done since July. I wanted it done and over with before school started and before Groups started. We just started group Choreo this past weekend. So 5 more weekends of Choreo to go.

It took our SO a long time to figure out small groups, which was the delay in getting dance/schedule info. We knew our competitions about 2 weeks before that, which was still late this year compared to last.
3mama5678

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #37 
I would be frustrated too. But, it's not your livelihood so if the studio owner fails that's her failure. However, it is your money. I'd trust her for now though.[smile]
dancemom0987

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #38 
It's not super unusual to start dances this late although I'd be worried for how late they actually do get to start them. The thing that really bothers me about your situation is that the SO has promised dates where you would get the info, and then you didn't. You are definitely not out of line for asking her about it.
Ca2Ny2Mo

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #39 
I definitely think being frustrated is understandable. Our studio seems to things differently every single year. Sometime leaving us nervous. In the end...when the time comes to be ready...everybody is ready and prepared. Even if it’s hard ....try and think positive that your team will not let you fall. I completely get what your feeling. I hope that you will be able to feel comfort soon! You are not wrong in your feelings. Trusting can be hard at times. 😉
PastrySugar

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Id be very upset too. Competion season come really fast!
alingading

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
I find that so unusual that a competition studio wouldn't have started their choreography by the end of October.  Interesting that the SO is avoiding your questions too.  Do you know if it was like this last year?

Our dancers don't even start choreography on anything until after Christmas. Priority #1 during this time of year is Nutcracker. The only time that solos or group dancers are started before Christmas is if they are being choreographed by an out of studio choreographer who has requested that specific time frame. My daughter has been competing at this studio for 6 years and it's always been this way. It can be very frustrating when we have to pay money by mid-December but don't even find out what dances we are paying for until the end of October or early November. They usually have 4 weeks to learn and clean before we hit our first comp.
sarahannexo

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #42 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake
Am I out of line for being frustrated that we don't know our competition routines yet? We don't know how many dances, what styles, if we're doing a duo/trio, or when we might possibly start rehearsals. This is our 3rd year on the team, and both of the past 2 years we knew everything, and had started choreography by the beginning of Oct. Our SO has told us multiple times different dates that she would get the info to us, and these dates always come and go with nothing. When any of us Moms try and talk with her about it, she makes us feel like we are out of line by questioning her. We aren't the teacher, so we don't know or understand. Currently, we have been told she has the placements done. Why she can't tell us what they are, I don't know. My DD is only 8, so while I think she is talented, I am also realistic. She needs time and practice to make a routine look good. She can't learn a dance in one weekend and perform it the next. Well, she could, but it won't look that good. Not sure if I'm looking for advice, or just venting...

When does competition season begin for you?

If I were in the same boat, I wouldn't even be remotely concerned this early. My daughter was eight last season. She's on an elite team. They did not know their lyrical until January and was getting platinum and winning overall in April competitions, with stiff competition I might add.

This season is a little different, one of the teachers is due before competition begins, so we are learning dances earlier than normal.. But DD won't learn her final small group until the Saturday after thanksgiving and they are probably just now learning the second half of their jazz dance tonight.

You've got months. I'd breathe and trust that your dancers DT knows your child enough to know how quickly she can retain choreography at this point, especially after three seasons.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.