Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Cupcake

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Am I out of line for being frustrated that we don't know our competition routines yet? We don't know how many dances, what styles, if we're doing a duo/trio, or when we might possibly start rehearsals. This is our 3rd year on the team, and both of the past 2 years we knew everything, and had started choreography by the beginning of Oct.

Our SO has told us multiple times different dates that she would get the info to us, and these dates always come and go with nothing. When any of us Moms try and talk with her about it, she makes us feel like we are out of line by questioning her. We aren't the teacher, so we don't know or understand. Currently, we have been told she has the placements done. Why she can't tell us what they are, I don't know.

My DD is only 8, so while I think she is talented, I am also realistic. She needs time and practice to make a routine look good. She can't learn a dance in one weekend and perform it the next. Well, she could, but it won't look that good.

Not sure if I'm looking for advice, or just venting...
Mama2aHappyDancer

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I would be frustrated too. 
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Super frustrating. I think sometimes studios get a bit of a complex. When in reality, this is a business. You give them money, they give you a service. Should you know when you will be receiving the services and what you will be getting, absolutely. You should at least have a timeline of when you will receive the info. To me, not being able to ask these questions would make me reconsider next year.
Good Luck!
I hope you hear soon.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
No, I'd be upset too. We pay a lot of money and they expect a lot of commitment, so we should have the information we need in a timely manner.
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I would be completely frustrated. My DD8 has already learned the choreography and they are now cleaning up the routines. I agree, my DD need time to practice especially since picking up moves is not her thing. Some solos or duets are not finished but those are for the seniors and are really dependent on their availability to rehearse. 
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My DD8 just started the group choreography two weeks ago.  But last year we didn't really start until December - and it was really hard for that small group to get everything clean in time (also was first time together and first time competing for all the team members).

My DD only has 2 comp dances - so I can imagine it's stressful not even knowing the "start" date.

Good luck and hugs!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I find that so unusual that a competition studio wouldn't have started their choreography by the end of October.  Interesting that the SO is avoiding your questions too.  Do you know if it was like this last year?
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Typically we don’t know much until at least mid October, and choreo never starts before Nutcracker is over. Not knowing dates is frustrating, considering they are mandatory.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Cupcake, this feels late to me.  Do you think they are off their normal time line for a reason?  Has there been a change in the studio staff or space? Has there been drama about groups, levels, placements that might lead to a delay?  This is probably my own bad experience shining through, but I wonder if they are withholding this info, so it will be to late in the season for dancers to transfer to another studio when they don't like their group placements?

Also, are you paying for groups, rehearsals, or to be on comp team already? The worst we ever encountered was a dance that wasn't started until a month before the first performance and they were still finishing the dance at dress rehearsal.   This was particularly annoying because we had paid a fee for rehearsals every month until then, but the rehearsals did not happen.  
lovemykids

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
When is your first competition? Ours is not till late February, so there is still time. Although I totally get you, we get antsy and want to be able to plan, and as a paying customer you deserve as much. There is time, but you do deserve better service
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
when I first started reading I was thinking "it's ok if they haven't finished yet, give it time..." but reading further you don't even know who is in what dance!!!??? yeah I would be panicking...
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I think learning and performing the dances are not the problem here... the costumes need to be ordered in advance, altered and stoned (custom made in our case)... my nightmare would be that SO says costumes won't be ready by the first competition and dancers would have to wear/borrow last year's costumes until the new costumes are ready... or parents have to find the specific style shoes/leotard, etc. on the week of comp. These scenarios have happened to us before but out first competition is always November since we compete at conventions. We have at least 2 months to learn and clean dances. First competition we bring 1-2 dances per team (mini, Junior, Teen & senior) and add on as we finish cleaning. In February we compete all company dances.

If your SO has castings and choreography planned, I think you have enough time. I know it's frustrating but asking your SO is not going to change her timeline she has in her mind.
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
BTW - I am sorry this is so stressful for you. This is my DD8's first year on a comp team and I am stressed out enough with a well organized studio so I can't imagine what you must be feeling now.  I do hope it gets better soon.
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
You are not out of line for asking or for your frustration.  The teams you will competing against have probably finished their dances a couple of months ago and are working on cleaning them up.  Their costumes are probably ordered and they probably know which dates to save for competition.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 

Do you even know when you are competing? 

I would mostly be frustrated at the lack of communication. I would want to know what dates I need to reserve in my calendar for competitions and how much money I am going to be spending on fees and costumes. 

I don't know that it would bother me as much about not starting the dances yet. If they normally spend class time on rehearsing, this should mean that they are getting more technique now. I'd be OK with that part. 

LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I also have an 8 years old and this is her 4th year competing. If it would makes you feel any better, we don't start our groups till December and offers of S/D/T won't be out till January. I don't love it but sort of got used to it now.
Cupcake

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
I find that so unusual that a competition studio wouldn't have started their choreography by the end of October.  Interesting that the SO is avoiding your questions too.  Do you know if it was like this last year?

It was definitely not like this last year. We had all the dances set and choreography going in Sept.
Cupcake

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
Cupcake, this feels late to me.  Do you think they are off their normal time line for a reason?  Has there been a change in the studio staff or space? Has there been drama about groups, levels, placements that might lead to a delay?  This is probably my own bad experience shining through, but I wonder if they are withholding this info, so it will be to late in the season for dancers to transfer to another studio when they don't like their group placements?

Also, are you paying for groups, rehearsals, or to be on comp team already? The worst we ever encountered was a dance that wasn't started until a month before the first performance and they were still finishing the dance at dress rehearsal.   This was particularly annoying because we had paid a fee for rehearsals every month until then, but the rehearsals did not happen.  

We lost a few people at the end of last year, 2 due to military parents and 1 changed studios. We are really a low drama small studio. There are only around 35 girls on our whole team. I don't think that people leaving would be an issue.

And, no we have not been paying for anything yet, thank goodness. I think not having a set rehearsal time is part of the problem this year. Last year we had a 90 minute slot set aside every week to just work on choreography. This year she had planned on doing it on Fri or Sat. I would be fuming if we were paying for rehearsals.
Cupcake

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykids
When is your first competition? Ours is not till late February, so there is still time. Although I totally get you, we get antsy and want to be able to plan, and as a paying customer you deserve as much. There is time, but you do deserve better service

Our 1st one is in early March.
Cupcake

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandafarris03
when I first started reading I was thinking "it's ok if they haven't finished yet, give it time..." but reading further you don't even know who is in what dance!!!??? yeah I would be panicking...

Yep...

We have no idea on anything. And I'm definitely getting to the panicking stage...lol.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #21 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

I honestly don't think it's that unusual.  When dd was w/her old comp studio most of her groups wouldn't be announced/started until after Nutcracker... December, sometimes January even  And I can remember many conversations on here where people would say that their studios did things similarly.  With first comps generally being around the beginning of March.  

The avoiding questions?  Can't say for sure but I will say dd's old SO was also not approachable at all... and I think it was her way of discouraging parents from asking questions.  She would tell you what she wanted to tell you when she was ready and not a moment sooner.  It was all about the control.      

mom24

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Our petites (8 and unders) and largest groups are done.  As they get older, and there are less kids in the dances, less time is needed to get them cleaned.  

At our old studio, they often didn't make decisions until later.  For example, they would choreograph and clean a large group tap, then decide based on how kids were doing in that number which ones should be in the small group tap.  
mom24

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
At a minimum, I think you should know HOW MANY dances, just so you know how to budget.
Cupcake

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

Do you even know when you are competing? 

I would mostly be frustrated at the lack of communication. I would want to know what dates I need to reserve in my calendar for competitions and how much money I am going to be spending on fees and costumes. 

I don't know that it would bother me as much about not starting the dances yet. If they normally spend class time on rehearsing, this should mean that they are getting more technique now. I'd be OK with that part. 

Now, that we do know. We have had the comp dates since Aug. I guess I can take that as a positive.

They have their class time during the week, those classes won't change. In theory their rehearsals are going to be on either Fri or Sat at some point. Not sure when that will actually happen since we started Nutcracker practice last week, and that happens on Fri and Sat 😵
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #25 

I would be frustrated too.  Our studio didn't even announce group placements until October and then classes started near the end of the month.  S/D/T didn't get their invites until late November and they didn't start until December.  Our first performance was always in March and first comp in April and it was fine.  Granted we had a dedicated choreo class every week separate from the multiple dedicated tech classes so they had lots of class time to work on learning and cleaning.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.