Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
My DD was 6 when she did her first solo and I have no regrets, she was completely ready and did fantastic.  We are now at a non competition studio and so glad for the experiences she had competing, althugh she is perfectly happy with just concentrating on technique now. 

LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #27 
DD was 6 when choreographed and 7 for competition. She had been on performance teams but not comp team until this past season. She asked me if she could do one and I was ok with it. I was a nervous wreck at the first one thinking she would go out and just freeze, but she did it. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't well executed technique wise, but she did her whole routine without missing a beat, although stiff as a board. It was a GREAT experience for her, by last weekend for recital it was gorgeous. This season I know she will start off in a better place because the jitters are gone. 

But if this was my oldest and she was 6 turning 7, there is no way I would have had her do it. Different personalities. 
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
10.  And it was perfect timing for her.  
Brontasaurus

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #29 
My daughter is finishing up her first year of competition at 5.She will turn 6 the first of October and she was told she can do a solo next year, which we have agreed to do. It gives her somthing to be extra excited about and makes her feel like a big girl. Our studio says that it is mostly about making them feel confident on stage by themselves at her age, especially since there are so few and they tend to place at her school.
She did 3 group dances this year and her small group got a Best of Jump Award this year, which they are using for their nationals at the Dance Awards. I think it will be good for her to see her place on the team and her value as an individual
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Mine hasn't had one yet, but I would have let her. She's done solos for talent show just not dance competitions. She loves to be on stage and isn't shy to be on stage alone.

There are many many kids who aren't able to get on stage by themselves at that age though. Does she preform in front of others like family without hesitation?
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
7 and it was her second year in comp. The first year she had a duet.
alingading

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
My DD had just turned 5 when she had her first solo in our studio's recital. She was 8 when she had her first competition solo. She was in her 3rd year of competition.
nodrama15

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #33 
My DD had her first solo at age 9.
shewolf

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingemu
Mine hasn't had one yet, but I would have let her. She's done solos for talent show just not dance competitions. She loves to be on stage and isn't shy to be on stage alone. There are many many kids who aren't able to get on stage by themselves at that age though. Does she preform in front of others like family without hesitation?

yeah and she wants a you "tube channel" lol always shooting videos with friends
Celc9

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #35 
I would say it depends on the dancer. Not every dancer is ready at the same time. If she can remember a dance on her own with no coaching she maybe ready. We have 2 mini dancers on our team one is 4 and one is 5 doing solos. It's frustrating to watch them perform their solos with no coaching from the wings and then not place above girls of the same age or older who are coached. This past week at nationals a dancer from another studio would do a few moves stop stare at her DT in the wings to get the next steps to her routine. It was very obvious she could not remember her routine. She placed higher than both our minis who may forget a step or two but they keep dancing on their own.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celc9
I would say it depends on the dancer. Not every dancer is ready at the same time. If she can remember a dance on her own with no coaching she maybe ready. We have 2 mini dancers on our team one is 4 and one is 5 doing solos. It's frustrating to watch them perform their solos with no coaching from the wings and then not place above girls of the same age or older who are coached. This past week at nationals a dancer from another studio would do a few moves stop stare at her DT in the wings to get the next steps to her routine. It was very obvious she could not remember her routine. She placed higher than both our minis who may forget a step or two but they keep dancing on their own.

The youngest dancer at the studios DS attended was 4 and she wouldn't have been allowed to have a solo if she couldn't remember her entire dance without coaching.  Teachers are not allowed to stand in the wings and coach up here and both studio truly believe that before they hit the stage (at any age) they needed to know there dance.  Even when DS was 2 at his first recital they did not have DT's in the wings coaching them.
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Mine was 9 going on 10. 
YetAnotherDanceMom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #38 
My daughter just did her first solo (lyrical) this year. She turned 10 in Feb. I was glad I waited...when she started dance, it was just for fun. No pressure, just an intro class, a chance to meet friends and stay active. After a couple years we were approached by the teacher to see if we were interested in trying competition, and now she has finished her fourth competitive season. I've always had a rule to take one year at a time, let her try one new thing a year...whether it was a new teacher, a new style, and in last years case, a solo. In some cases she has simply added on to her existing schedule, and in others she has dropped one thing to try something else (dropping hip hop to learn lyrical, for example). I've been really happy with my choice to take things slowly. 
I considered letting her do a solo last year, but I'm still glad I waited. I talked to her teacher, and her thought then and now is that doing a solo will help them develop as a dancer in unique ways from being in a group, and she was totally right. My DD has really grown in her confidence and maturity this year...some of that came from turning 10, some from moving to a new studio, but a lot did come from working one on one with her teacher. I don't know if she would have been ready for that before now, but I also think that she appreciates the opportunity to do this more because we waited...she had to work to earn a solo. It's expensive, and I still haven't located the magic Dance Mom Money Tree. [smile]
Whatever you decide, do it for your DD and your family, not because everyone else is doing it, or because you are getting pressure from the studio. 
mom24

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Depends on your reason for wanting to do a solo.  I have triplets -  identical twin girls, who have a fraternal brother, as well as a child who is 17 months younger but looks just like the big girls.  When we moved to a new studio, each girl got their first solo.  I did this because I wanted the teacher to get to know them as individuals, rather than just treating them as duplicates of each other (which was a problem at our previous studio).  That time with the teacher week in and week out is SO valuable!

Secondly, although none of my kids are ever going to be pro dancers, they are learning a lot of life lessons from doing solos.  Things like winning and losing gracefully, faking confidence when you are nervous, etc.  Personally, I think that's worth it, but you could certainly learn those things in other ways.
angelashunter

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #40 
My daughter had her first solo at age 7 which was her 3rd year on the competition team. She is now 9 and beginning her 5th year. 
Bc001

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #41 
My daughter was 3 when she did her first Solo and she handled it like an absolute pro. I think it definitely depends on the child. If your teacher thinks she is ready let her do it. Don't push either way. Teachers can usually tell if a kid is going to be ready or not.
nicknoralove

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceTumbleCheerMom
My DD was 6 when she did her first solo and I have no regrets, she was completely ready and did fantastic.  We are now at a non competition studio and so glad for the experiences she had competing, althugh she is perfectly happy with just concentrating on technique now. 

My daughter is 5 (will be 6 this winter). She is going into pre-comp this year which means we'll have three local comps the kids will participate in. She asked me for private lessons this year instead of a jumping device for the back yard [seriously the site wouldn't let me post this word that starts with a T, I had to change it]. I was taken by surprise to say the least. Anyway, her DTs asked if she would want to learn a solo for one of the comps. 

I decided I don't want to allow it for comp this year. She wants to learn a solo, but she is still really excited about having more dances on stage. She doesn't have any nerves about being on stage, she loves it. 

I know my daughter though and if she went out during a comp and forgot a solo she'd be really embarrassed no matter how much i try to explain to her that it's ok. I think we would then have some drama and nerves about performing in the groups. 

I'm going to allow the solo at recital though. She'll have all year to learn the dance and the DT is there to remind her if need be (they do that for the little kids). I want her first time doing a solo to be fun for her and not full of pressure or anxiety. This is just based on her personality. 

Some kids wouldn't be bothered so much or scared to get back on stage in a group if they forgot a solo.
Chantelle

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #43 
My daughter was 6 years old and only danced for 6 months when she did her first solo. She had to compete in the under 9 category. She is now 8 years old and have done her third solo. Each year she scores higher and higher. This year she scored the highest in her dance academy - juniors and seniors.
My daughter thrives under pressure but it is not the same for every child.
I also had her make the decision that first year and I did not push her - she knew if she, at any stage said she wanted to pull out I would have happily let her.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.