Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
sylya

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

I have been looking for a competitive studio for DS for a while now, he is almost 10 and his current studio can't give him the ballet training that he wants. People have advised me to go look at Stars Dance Studio since it's not to far away for us, they have multiple boys and a ballet program, do any of you have experience with this studio?

The only time i have heard of them was during their tv show time and that didn't really impress me but i don't want to judge them solely on a tv show since i know shows are usually heavily edited. 

I checked them out at a local competition (that's not weird right?), their mini/junior team seems great and they have some boys in my sons age range but maybe you have some knowledge you can share??
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
If it's close to you, I would check them out. We compete against a few of their soloists sometimes (the ones who travel) and the ones we compete against are well-trained. 
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We've never competed against any groups but have against soloists. They have good technique among other things
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We've competed against them and they are well trained. I've been told that it is a very competitive atmosphere so if you're good with that, then go check them out. When we did Jump, Logan Hernandez was Mia Michaels' assistant and wow! That boy can move!
sylya

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
thanks, i have also heard it can be competitive but i assume this is the case at most big studio's. DS is currently winning most of the (local) competitions he does and he doesn't really have competition from the girls in his studio (he is also the only boy) so a bit of competition might be good for him. I have heard of Logan Hernandez and i agree that he is amazing. At the competition i checked out i saw a boy called Brady compete for them and wow he is amazing. I have called them last week and arranged a free try out ballet class for monday so we will see how it goes
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD had many friends at the NY SYTYCD auditions... she said that in the middle of the audition, after a Stars dancer did his improv, the producer literally stopped the audition and made an announcement that he doesn't know what Victor's secret is, but that he recommends everyone go train with him.  Personally I think that's a highly inappropriate comment to make at an open audition, but it speaks to the level of training offered at Stars... especially for boys.  I mean, their girls are very strong too, but their boys definitely seem to be the ones that become well known.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I'm intrigued... we're not close enough to consider this studio for a "home" but certainly close enough if they've got master classes or intensives available. Keep me posted too, Please ! Best of luck !
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Ricky Ubeda is from there.
sylya

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
So we had out trial class today and i wanted to update you. I was very happy with the way we were received, both Victor and Angel the two owners were there and were very nice to DS who was a little nervous when we walked in. I don't know if it is normal for them to be there to meet potential new dancers but i liked it, at our current studio the owner is hardly there and certainly didn't welcome us on our first day.

After we got there DS started warming up with some of the other kids and the ballet teacher was actually present to give DS some pointers on his stretching (note this wasn't part of the actual class, there was more warming up during the class but the kids are encouraged to stretch before class aswel) and he really liked that. The ballet teacher was very sweet and positive in her corrections which DS was very happy about since he is a little insecure around people he doesn't know but she made him feel very confident. I was very impressed with the other kids in the class, it was a 9-11 year olds class with 2 other 9 year old boys and especially the level of control in their movements was very impressive. I learned that they offer a homeschool program for kids (6 and up) who want to concentrate on ballet, the schooling is done at the studio with a teacher and the dancing is woven into their schedules, it results in 20 something hours of ballet a week, plus rehearsals and regular classes. Now this is not for us at this moment but it is something to consider when DS is older. 

We have not made a decision yet but i think Stars is the studio we will go to, the atmosphere i very nice and i loved the way Angel and Victor interact with "their" kids, from what i have seen and heard from the other parents it's a very loving environment. We will not switch during the season because DS wants to finish the year with his team but there is a big chance that we will be at Stars starting this summer.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
What a wonderful update. I really love hearing happy stories. Keep me posted if you will on any Stars based intensives/ master classes/ open classes... it would be a quite a trip but sounds like it would be worth the drive as a special treat if it's as nurturing and positive as you say. Enjoy the rest of your season, can't wait to hear how it all goes.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.