Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD13 is performing a contemporary piece called "Cristal Brise' " which means Broken Glass.  I've been having a hard time finding a costume. DD13 likes this one and so do I, BUT I'm wondering if you think it is inappropriate because of the way it is cut on the sides and the back.

I'd love some opinions!

https://secondskincostumes.com/collections/sets/products/cairo-leotard

pirouettemom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I don’t think it is inappropriate - the important thing would be if she feels comfortable wearing it.
It looks like a good choice of costume to me.
jackilvsmath

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My DD solo costume is a leo with similar cut outs. She is 11. It looks 100% acceptable. If I knew how to post a pic I would.
PasDeChatMom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I don't think it's inappropriate but I do question whether it will cover everything once she's moving through her choreography. The cutout seems to come pretty high under the bust area. The 2nd photo is what caused me to question how well it will stay put. Love the leo and fits the title well.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
This is very pretty! Some Leo’s with cutouts can sag in the stomach when she bends forward so check for that if you pick this one.

I also thought of some Eleve fabrics that remind me of broken glass: white noise, metro, and scales. (If you have time to design your own).

ETA: these are the fabric names.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Love the leo and it looks perfect for the song title.  Just make sure it fits well and she can move without worry when wearing it and I would think it would be an excellent choice.  
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks everyone!  Prancer, the competition is February 1st so we don't have time to have one made.  I did actually look at Eleve and they have something similar with no sleeves but only the chest section is gray and the rest is white and it just might be too white for her because she is VERY pale.  I did buy this one because they accept returns; DD and I both love how it looks on her but her teacher says it is too low in the back.  I think I'll talk to her about it and see just how against it she is.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We've seen lots of girls wear that leo at conventions. It is not inappropriate at all. 
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I think the one you picked is beautiful. If your teacher is very against it, would you add a little something to the back? I’m thinking llike a swag of white mesh to raise the back a bit?
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
I think the one you picked is beautiful. If your teacher is very against it, would you add a little something to the back? I’m thinking llike a swag of white mesh to raise the back a bit?

I was thinking the same thing but I don't know how I would do that without it sagging or if it would even look right.  I'm going to talk to her again.  She's always telling my DD to speak up if she doesn't like something because she wants her to be comfortable but DD doesn't like to ever disagree but she said she will today.  I've never pushed back about a costume before but I really like this one.  The one the teacher likes better has a collar.  DD doesn't like it and I don't think it suits her; my daughter is short and the collared leos make her torso look longer which is not good for a short person.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I don't know why but when you said broken glass I immediately thought of this print from Eleve

monique-banner-low-res-dsc00239.jpg

But I don't think the one you posted would be inappropriate at all. I know different genre, but my daughter's jazz costume is cut the exact same way this year. 
Emmie46

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I think the Leo is beautiful and the mesh and cutouts are fine. Is it for YAGP? My DD, 14 has a two piece custom that shows a lot of skin for a contemporary piece.
TinyDancerNJMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I don't think its inappropriate, especially with girls wearing bra tops and briefs or booty shorts.  That being said, I'm err on the side of prudish and so does my DD so I would see if she could wear a nude leo underneath.  That way neither of us would have to be worried about anything slipping too close to uncomfortable areas of exposure.  She doesn't do 'competition' type dances so I don't know if that would be restrictive.  It is a pretty print!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
DD told the teacher yesterday that she really loves the costume and the teacher agreed to let her wear it.  She has all kinds of modifications she wants me to do it so that should be interesting because I can barely do a decent tack job.  [biggrin]
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
So glad she gets to wear that leo - it is beautiful and spot on for the song!  Good luck with the modifications.  

my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Glad the teacher approved!  I really like it!  You'll need to show us a picture after the modifications.
PastrySugar

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I love it! And its classy
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.