Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
peachygreen98

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingymnast
Hi! First time comp mom here too! Thanks so much for all the great advice here! Our first competition is in a little over a month. My question is, can you predict the competition schedule based on the schedule in other cities? Or they could be completely different? Now that they have some schedules up, I’m trying to guess at least the day when we’ll be competing (DD is only doing one group dance).

It's really unknown.  I've looked at several cities and the schedule seems to be all over the place from city to city at the same competition.  You can guess, but I wouldn't count on it until the schedule is released.

cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
This is the last year of comp for us.  My biggest piece of advice is don't crazy stress trying to account for every possible problem.  It will be fine.  I would say invest early in some really hard core garment bags.  Just spend the money upfront because they will most likely last the life of her comp career.  Get the ones with pockets for accessory and maybe get the hangers too.  (I'm talking dream duffle accessories...but I think there are others out there too.)  The reason this is a good buy is because you can label the pockets for accessories (like tights, earrings, hairpieces) plus put a card in the top that identifies the dance and your dd name.  You can have these ready to go days before so you are not stressing right before every comp.

Then just have a duffle or a tote with hair, makeup supplies, some apples for snack, a lunch (if you need it).  In your purse put (for you) a phone charger, some ibuprofen and maybe some reading glasses.  

Every comp we have been to this year, none of them had programs.  You had to print them off of the website beforehand or stream them on your phone.  I don't believe I have ever had to pay cash for a program before when they did sell them.     
mom24

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #28 

How much are programs? 

- $10-$20, and you MUST buy one or you won't know where you are in the lineup, or whether they are running early or late

Also, how do you decide whether or not to stay at the hotel vs. getting ready at home and then driving there?

- We always book a hotel with an option to cancel for the entire time the comp will be running (usually Fri afternoon to Sunday).  If they don't dance til 11am, and it's an hour away, we will drive that morning, but if it's much earlier, we just go and stay.  Somehow it is REALLY hard to get out the door for a comp.  We can get anywhere else easily, but competitions are just a pain somehow.   You won't know the exact schedule until probably the week before the comp.  Keep in mind that awards are often several hours later than the last dance, so don't assume that just because the last dance is at 8, you will be done then - you may not get out til 11 or 12.  

DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Lots of great advice. Concur with it all . Just want to share one tidbit that I experienced years ago during my older daughter's first comp.  We brought a change of clothes for her to change into after she was done. What no one bothered to tell us or the other new girl, was that the team was wearing a particular studio T shirt onstage and not their team jacket, etc.  Because we didn't have it with us DD had to sit in the back of the group during awards and in the photos. Not really a big deal but she felt foolish and left out. So, the moral of this story is ask what SO wants them to wear for awards. (most everyone wears team jacket or warm up)
Hope she has fun!
AusDM

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #30 
How did she go Anna?
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusDM
How did she go Anna?

Thank you for asking! The competition is not until next weekend so we still have time to prepare.
balletbus

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Any special tips for a first time competition when your DD is an independent?
DD has never been interested in competitions, but it was apparent when she did YAGP for the first time this year that she really needs experience with the "performance" aspect and engaging her audience. Her coaches felt that doing a couple of smaller, more traditional competitions would not only give her practice but also allow her to see just how important that part of the package is.

So off we go, on our own, with no expectations, but hopes for a learning experience. I still have the costume emergency kit I put together for YAGP, she'll have backup shoes/tights/etc. The rest of the advice here has been really helpful. I'm just wondering if you'd give any independent-specific pointers?
balletbus

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #33 
This is going to sound dense...but plenty of time for what? Are you saying make sure to get there really early? TIA.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceForFun
Lots of great advice. Concur with it all . Just want to share one tidbit that I experienced years ago during my older daughter's first comp.  We brought a change of clothes for her to change into after she was done. What no one bothered to tell us or the other new girl, was that the team was wearing a particular studio T shirt onstage and not their team jacket, etc.  Because we didn't have it with us DD had to sit in the back of the group during awards and in the photos. Not really a big deal but she felt foolish and left out. So, the moral of this story is ask what SO wants them to wear for awards. (most everyone wears team jacket or warm up)
Hope she has fun!

That happened to us one year.  I don't know if it was SO sponsored or not but the older girls all brought dressy dresses to wear to the last awards for nationals and it didn't get relayed to all the students.  We were 6 hours from home and no time to shop once we found out.  It was bad.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #35 
We too have to be there 2 hours before the first number in full hair & makeup, or whatever time the doors open at the theatre to warm up.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Definitely 2 hours before ready to go.  You will be amazed at how fast the time goes and sometimes they run early and you have to be ready.
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #37 
The advice given was really great. I felt prepared for our first comp today and there were very few surprises since I was able to check ahead on all of the things you suggested. 

DD's team was beaten by teddy bears. It was actually the best outcome for my first competition because it showed me no matter how good you think the choreo is or how many rhinestones you add to the costumes, sometimes little 4-5 year olds in fuzzy brown onesies are going to win just by getting on the stage and clapping their hands. The team did not even place so many other groups were better but the teddy bears winning hurt.  😉

DD had a blast (which is what matters blah blah blah). We have two more this year and I am setting my expectations for awards low!
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBeav
The advice given was really great. I felt prepared for our first comp today and there were very few surprises since I was able to check ahead on all of the things you suggested. 

DD's team was beaten by teddy bears. It was actually the best outcome for my first competition because it showed me no matter how good you think the choreo is or how many rhinestones you add to the costumes, sometimes little 4-5 year olds in fuzzy brown onesies are going to win just by getting on the stage and clapping their hands. The team did not even place so many other groups were better but the teddy bears winning hurt.  😉

DD had a blast (which is what matters blah blah blah). We have two more this year and I am setting my expectations for awards low!

Oh my gosh, sorry about the outcome but thank you for the laugh!!!!
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Once a season you will always see those head scratchers like that... and you just have to laugh! Lol
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.