Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
AusDM

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Does your dance school offer classs for adults, ie 30yrs+?

If not, do you think it would be appropriate to ask a SO to join a normal class purely to do exams, in particular tap (not to be included in EoYC)?
Rebelina

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Our studio offers adult tap, hip hop and ballet. They never do recitals but just learn the dance techniques. I think if you had enough interested adults your studio would consider adding it.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Can I ask what the point would be?  Of the exams, I mean.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Yes, most of our local studios offer some sort of adult classes. None offer exams for adults, but exams are not as common in the US in general. I know there are adults elsewhere, especially in the UK that do the RAD exams.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I think there is great value in adults taking dance classes doing exams. Here in Australia exams are big and most studios in our area will have the kids do exams in classical ballet, jazz, tap, musical theatre, contemporary.

The exams are not just taken in order to gain qualifications as a performer or a teacher. They give students goals to work towards, and help the, to reach certain standards.

Having a quantitative goal can help motivate you to practice and stay focused. Plus exams are a lot of fun and they are rewarding.
AusDM

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Jacaranda, that sums up my feelings, and I am based in Australia.

Heidi - our local school offers exams as part of the usual class routine, in comparison to the adult class that is recreational. I didn’t do exams as a child and I was looking for more of a challenge, and something that would be more progressive, as far as skills are concerned, so I know that I am improving and it is quantifiable
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanx for clarifying.  I guess it's just not something that I'm familiar with.  Even the most serious young dancers we know don't do them... because even the most serious of studios we know don't do them.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
JKO is a pretty serious studio. They do the ABT exams. Or at least they did (I don't know if they still do, but they did with in the last few years).
iceberg*lover

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
This is my own anecdotal observation but it seems like most ballet training in the world have exams. It's just the US that's seems to be the exception. It's not just RAD studios, I've seen amazing YouTube videos of the vaganova schools exams.

As an adult ballet student I would love to do exams.
dancemom0987

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Our studio only offers one adult class. I know that some other studios/schools that have drop-in adult classes (mostly ballet) and some better adult programs.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I do know they're common in some places but I remained somewhat unsure of the purpose so I did a little googling.  From the RAD website: 

"We offer a wide range of exams and assessments to motivate and reward students of all ages and abilities. Our focus is on creativity and musicality,  providing opportunities to progress and achieve". 

Even their mission suggests that it is largely about 'rewarding achievement'.

I suppose it's not unlike ice skating ribbons.  The various colored belts earned in martial arts.  Girl scout badges.  I can see where some would like it but.... IDK... I (yes, just my opinion) don't see the "need".  Not to mention, after looking up the fees associated w/these exams, I'm happy that it wasn't yet something else I had to spend our hard earned money on all these years  [smile]  
AusDM

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I understand where you're coming from @Heidi459.  I think in some areas, countries, the "need" would arise from industry having an indication or proof of training, an exams is an easy way of showing that.  Similar to school, or as you mentioned, martial arts, you could then show a full time dance school that you have completed a particular level of training.  The costs for us associated with exams aren't particularly high.  The curriculum we follow is between $70 - $150 per annum, depending on the level you're on at the time.

So, for me personally, it's not a need as such, it's just about setting goals and knowing I have something tangible to aim towards.  It also gives me a written report and feedback.  
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
I do know they're common in some places but I remained somewhat unsure of the purpose so I did a little googling.  From the RAD website: 

"We offer a wide range of exams and assessments to motivate and reward students of all ages and abilities. Our focus is on creativity and musicality,  providing opportunities to progress and achieve". 

Even their mission suggests that it is largely about 'rewarding achievement'.

I suppose it's not unlike ice skating ribbons.  The various colored belts earned in martial arts.  Girl scout badges.  I can see where some would like it but.... IDK... I (yes, just my opinion) don't see the "need".  Not to mention, after looking up the fees associated w/these exams, I'm happy that it wasn't yet something else I had to spend our hard earned money on all these years  [smile]  

DS did exams from 6 (pre primary ballet) right up to 18 (Intermediate Foundation).  He started out doing jazz and ballet exams at the first studio under CDTA and went to ballet only exams at the second studio under RAD. 

Up here a lot of studios will not hire DT's (especially ballet teachers) who have not taken and passed all exams right up to Associates.  Under RAD you can't put students up for senior exams unless you have passed all the way up to Solo Seal and since a lot of studios in Canada offer exams for their dancers you have to have a DT who can train and enter them under the syllabus.

Under BATD or CDTA you can't put dancers up for their associates unless the DT has the highest level and is in good standing with the organization.
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
As an adult I Ice skated - and had to pass tests to get to the next level.  Funny that you mentioned exams - because when I competed (as an adult) - i could only compete if I passed that level of exam.  I enjoyed it - and competition - a way to show your skills.

I wonder what our competition "levels" discussion would be like if you had to show you passed an exam to compete at that level.... hmm.  (And to be fair there are two organizations in US Ice skating - a recreational ones with levels and the pro track with levels.. they relate but not exactly).
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Studios around here don't do exams for youth or adult. They do have adult rec classes. The style of dance depends on the studio.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.