Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I wanted to see a new thread in this category.

So, any thoughts on how to best improve strength in specific muscles? My dd has just discovered that the muscle just over her knee corrects her knobby knees, but this is a very weak muscle for her. She has learned to activate it by thinking about it, but it fatigues really easily. Other than practice and concentration on activating this at the barre, does anyone have better ideas? It's the Vastus Medialus muscle.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I think there is not going to be a cool trick other then repetition.  My dd overextends her iliopsoas muscles...those are muscles deep in your hips.  She engages them when she shouldn't, so they very overused.  She has a hard time feeling when she is using them.  So she has to do exercises while she or someone else has fingers on those muscles.  Then she has to do it over and over until she retrains those muscles not to engage.  And then old habits are hard to break so she has to revisit those exercises over and over.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
I wanted to see a new thread in this category.

So, any thoughts on how to best improve strength in specific muscles? My dd has just discovered that the muscle just over her knee corrects her knobby knees, but this is a very weak muscle for her. She has learned to activate it by thinking about it, but it fatigues really easily. Other than practice and concentration on activating this at the barre, does anyone have better ideas? It's the Vastus Medialus muscle.

My daughter also has some weakness in that muscle and Pilates has helped her not only figure out how to activate it properly but also strengthen it. In the absence of Pilates I think just focusing on it will help it get stronger. Funny how that one little muscle can make such a noticable difference in a dancer's line.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Wow it makes a difference. If she can develop strength and endurance in this muscle and use it whenever she dances, she will have moved beyond all the glaring errors in her form. Her knees and feet used to be easy to spot negatives. Her feet are much improved now (from really bad to average I suppose), so if she can do the same for her knees, she will be very happy! I am so impressed with her new teacher who taught her how to address this issue. What an amazing specific correction.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Look up Muscle Activation Training- MAT. One of our DT's recently got certified, and I wish I could explain it! The best I can do is to say that by specifically targeting supporting muscles of the muscle you are trying to change, you can "activate" these muscles in a way that immediately improves functioning. DD demonstrated a thing where, you improve ankle flexibility by having a partner "tug" on your calf/shin in a certain direction for a few seconds. You could actually see the difference in her pointe from the activated foot to the "normal" foot, after the 1 minute of "tugging". And there is other stuff there, I'm sure, but google it and see what you get!
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks rdsmom. I will look into it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.