Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
2cocos

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Health is a large field and there are many different approaches. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and conventitional medical doctors are no exception. I have a background in the health field, study nutrition intensively and I follow the research very closely. I can assure you that my knowledge of nutrition far surpasses that of 99% of medical doctors, who have little to no training in this area. I am not impressed by medical credentials. I have plenty of close friends who are doctors and they are just people like you and me. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong.

Personally, I don't see the conventional medical field having much success treating chronic health issues, when you look at long term health outcomes. Some of these drugs might work and seem like they have no bad effect in the short-term, but they come at a great cost to long term health. The problem is that we really don't know what many of the effects are in humans long-term. The standard study is a 6 week trial.

If you start with the premise that your body is always doing what it can to keep you as healthy as possible, it can vastly alter how you approach your health. Inflammation is simply your body trying to heal itself. Think of a cut. The first thing that your body does to heal it is create inflammation. Without this, there is no healing. Have you ever peeled off a scab before it was ready to fall off? What happens? Your body creates another one and it just takes longer to heal itself.

To approach that situation by taking drugs or applying a cream to remove the inflammation is counter-productive. What you need to do is avoid getting cut altogether, or find ways to make that cycle as efficient and quick as possible by supporting the body if the inevitable occurs. When we interfere too much, we make it worse because the body needs to resort to more drastic action to preserve itself.

I've had to approach my own health this way to get any results with my own health conditions. Yes, it's a much longer path to feeling better, but it is by far the most effective way. You can only build health by giving you body the health promoting things it needs.

Anyone who is garderner knows this. You can tell right away when a plant has what it needs, it will have healthy leaves and produce healthy fruit. Give it soda instead or water, put poisons in its soil, keep it in the dark and see what happens. Why in the world would humans be any different?

I am only writing this to encourage people who know in their gut that there is a better way, there is information and people out there who can help. Acne is a sign that something is going wrong in the body, most often hormonal imbalances, nutrient deficiencies and intolerances or toxicity. It is not just an annoying skin condition. You need to address the root cause because it is very unlikely going to be the only manifestiation of hormonal problems in your lifetime. It will rear its ugly head when trying to conceive, going through post-partum and going through menopause. The number of women in America on anti-depressants is staggering and not normal even if it is common (I am not judging, been through this myself, and it makes me extremely concerned).

Sorry for the long post. I am very passionate about this topic, and even more so when it is the health of young people involved.
IreneP

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cocos
I can assure you that my knowledge of nutrition far surpasses that of 99% of medical doctors, who have little to no training in this area.

As a doctor, I find this statement incredibly offensive. Please, before passing judgment, try to educate yourself (and I don't mean "google") about the medical training and how it is constantly evolving.
2cocos

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #28 
I find it extremely offensive when doctors claim to be experts in everything and dismiss the education of other professionals who study nutrition many more hours than they do and stay on top of the research.

Show me a medical program that has more than one or two very limited course in nutrition that is not a functional or integrative medicine program and I will be shocked. The reality is that many programs require no courses at all, yet the public sees them as an authority. Doctors often say that diet has nothing to do with this or that condition when it is not true. I see it time and time again with my clients. It's incredible how often changing their diet helps tremedously.

Maybe you are on top of this, but it is not the norm. First, the training is not there unless they seek it out. Second, there is a lack of belief that it makes an impact. Third, even if there is a desire to learn, doctors don't have the time to even begin working with patient on this stuff because of how clinical time is all allocated and insurance billing conducted. Just telling someone who has been eating a junk food diet to eat healthy is not enough. People need guidance, coaching and accountability.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cocos
I find it extremely offensive when doctors claim to be experts in everything and dismiss the education of other professionals who study nutrition many more hours than they do and stay on top of the research.

Show me a medical program that has more than one or two very limited course in nutrition that is not a functional or integrative medicine program and I will be shocked. The reality is that many programs require no courses at all, yet the public sees them as an authority. Doctors often say that diet has nothing to do with this or that condition when it is not true. I see it time and time again with my clients. It's incredible how often changing their diet helps tremedously.

Maybe you are on top of this, but it is not the norm. First, the training is not there unless they seek it out. Second, there is a lack of belief that it makes an impact. Third, even if there is a desire to learn, doctors don't have the time to even begin working with patient on this stuff because of how clinical time is all allocated and insurance billing conducted. Just telling someone who has been eating a junk food diet to eat healthy is not enough. People need guidance, coaching and accountability.

Your confusing medicine with nutrition. Yes, nutrition is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle as is proper rest and exercise. All of those things help maintain our health.. If you have a medical issue though you need a physician to properly diagnose and treat that problem. Your doctor may very we'll recommend a nutritionist or other support person such as a personal trainer or physical therapist but those are not in place of the doctor.
2cocos

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #30 
No, I am not. I never claimed to know how to set a broken arm or treat a burn victim. Yet, I have seen numerous people turn around so called "medical issues", usually chronic illness that have no better treatment than immunosuppressants and steroids, with nutrition and lifestyle factors. The latter is very important, of course. When did medicine become synonymous with surgery and drugs? That is sure the model we follow in North America, and it is unfortunate. However, a lot of people are waking up and taking their health in their own hands instead of handing over their power to a third party.

Do what you like. You have the choice, which is a great thing.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
It depends on the cause of acne.  DD's is hormonal.  She is the healthiest eater on the face of the planet and it does no good.  The Pill made her gain weight, so that was over in a heartbeat and now she is on another prescription that I'm not sure I like and it's not working yet...it sucks. 
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
It depends on the cause of acne.  DD's is hormonal.  She is the healthiest eater on the face of the planet and it does no good.  The Pill made her gain weight, so that was over in a heartbeat and now she is on another prescription that I'm not sure I like and it's not working yet...it sucks. 

Acne is so frustrating. It doesn't help to have people suggest it's the fault of the person who has it due to something they're eating or not washing their face or hair properly or any other similar if only you would do _____ you wouldn't have acne. I hope the new treatment starts to work soon.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Thank you Psmom..........so true!!  She has struggled with it for some time and we have tried EVERYTHING.  She finally got her hormone levels tested and her estrogen is very low and that can cause acne.  At least we know why now....but it's not getting much better so far.  Feel so bad for her.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Yikes! I've been away from my computer today. Just sat down after a day of errands.

Anyway, acne is indeed terribly frustrating, which is why I posted about dd's struggles with it. I appreciate everyone's perspective and suggestions, whether they be medical or nutritional. At this point, I'll look at all angles. My own approach to family health care and needs is a blend of traditional medicine (majority) and natural remedies. I'm blessed with kids who rarely get sick, but when they do and need doctors care, I have an awesome pediatrician.

We haven't been very successful with the topical treatment route so far. Just the plain bar of soap seems to irritate her face the least for now. Both dermatologists that we've seen agree that treatment is trial and error and there is no 100% cure. We haven't really tried altering her diet to eliminate anything yet. She could do to eat better, though.

I've enjoyed this thread and am glad to know my dd isn't alone.
momtodancinggirl

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Accutane is very serious, but if you are at your wits end with very severe acne, it is a miracle cure. DD's boyfriend is a very handsome young man that has the occasional zit cluster on his face, but nothing major. His back however, was a totally different story. I had no idea, he said he hated the beach and didn't like swimming and I was like ... um DD lives for swimming, loves the beach, this is a problem. Then he showed me why he doesn't take his shirt off. I was shocked, for someone with such generally beautiful skin it was like he had a skin graft from a totally different person. To say there wasn't an inch that wasn't covered with acne, seemingly piling on top of itself would not be an exaggeration. His thighs and lower stomach as well. Any place that didn't see sun basically. He finally convinced, with much research, his mom to agree to the accutane and though he still has a month or two to go, the difference is nothing short or miraculous. It's a debate, quality of life in his case versus the dangers of the medication. PM me if you want to talk about side effects as we've seen him almost daily since it began and talk about it often!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #36 
I have friends whose daughters have done accutane and been incredibly successful.  You really have to watch for psych issues when you are on it and it is not recommended for patients that already have psych disorders so DS wasn't a candidate.  He has bouts of horrible cystic acne.
momtodancinggirl

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #37 
No, I am not. I never claimed to know how to set a broken arm or treat a burn victim. Yet, I have seen numerous people turn around so called "medical issues", usually chronic illness that have no better treatment than immunosuppressants and steroids, with nutrition and lifestyle factors. The latter is very important, of course. When did medicine become synonymous with surgery and drugs? That is sure the model we follow in North America, and it is unfortunate. However, a lot of people are waking up and taking their health in their own hands instead of handing over their power to a third party>

While I believe everyone is different, I did go through a program called "Transform 21" and basically eliminated all processed foods from my diet... I fell off the wagon but I lost 30 pounds in two months and felt better than I have ever felt. Unfortunately I have an addictive personality and at the holidays sabotaged myself. You've reminded me what I am missing, it's time to go back and feel better. 

Sorry I highjacked this, lol,it just inspired me!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Mittenmom3 - if your dd is very thin and doesn't get her period, I would suggest having the blood test which checks hormone levels.  We also tried everything else and waited too long to get that test.  You may be able to rule that out or find out that's what it is earlier than we did.
2cocos

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Yeah!! Good for you! I hear you, it is so difficult even when we know how great we can feel. I am in the same boat, I grew up on a lot of junk food and it is the hardest habit I have ever had to break. I admire people who can eat treats in moderation. I'm like that with alcohol, I can take it or leave it. Coffee (which makes me really ill) and snacking, I have been most successful when I just let it go and remove them completely.

Like an addict, I do better with the cold turkey approach. My brain def loves a hit of sugar and caffeine, like most people with mood disorders, but they just make me feel terrible afterwards and get into really negative cycles of weight gain, depression and other physical symptoms.

While I love the idea of listening to our bodies and what they want, my body lies to me when I eat poorly. The better I eat, the more I crave healthy food and am indifferent to junk food.

Sleep is also hugely inportant for me. When I fall off track, everything falls apart.

Hope you figure it out!
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Mittenmom3 - if your dd is very thin and doesn't get her period, I would suggest having the blood test which checks hormone levels.  We also tried everything else and waited too long to get that test.  You may be able to rule that out or find out that's what it is earlier than we did.

She is and her cycles aren't regular yet, but her first one was over a year ago. I'm certain hormones play a big part. We have her well check set for this coming Monday and I will ask about it.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtodancinggirl
Accutane is very serious, but if you are at your wits end with very severe acne, it is a miracle cure. DD's boyfriend is a very handsome young man that has the occasional zit cluster on his face, but nothing major. His back however, was a totally different story. I had no idea, he said he hated the beach and didn't like swimming and I was like ... um DD lives for swimming, loves the beach, this is a problem. Then he showed me why he doesn't take his shirt off. I was shocked, for someone with such generally beautiful skin it was like he had a skin graft from a totally different person. To say there wasn't an inch that wasn't covered with acne, seemingly piling on top of itself would not be an exaggeration. His thighs and lower stomach as well. Any place that didn't see sun basically. He finally convinced, with much research, his mom to agree to the accutane and though he still has a month or two to go, the difference is nothing short or miraculous. It's a debate, quality of life in his case versus the dangers of the medication. PM me if you want to talk about side effects as we've seen him almost daily since it began and talk about it often!

Thanks! The site won't allow me to PM without a full subscription, but my neighbors boy had bad cystic acne on his face. He went on accutane, it cleared up beautifully but caused stomach issues and depression, but he suffered from anxiety anyway. Probably shouldn't have been on it. The acne relapsed but cleared up again after much trial and error. His face looks great now.

Dd13s acne is mild to moderate and not cystic. It really ebbs and flows, but looks better in the summer. Probably the sunlight, but she's fair so have to watch for sunburn. Bah, a vicious cycle.
2cocos

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Dr. Mark Hyman has some great info on this. Google "Mark Hyman acne".

Here are a few links:

http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/02/11/do-milk-and-sugar-cause-acne/

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/05/19/how-to-get-rid-of-acne-pimples-and-other-skin-problems/

Also, keep in mind that undereating and/or over-exercising without adequate rest/recovery are significant sources of stress on the body. Nutritional deficiencies are also very stressful because the body needs to continually compensate for these. The more you are stressed, the more your body burns through its nutrients. Stress hugely affects hormones and can contribute to PCOS, thyroid problems and adrenal issues, to name a few.

Dancers who don't eat enough animal products (in trying to cut calories and fat) can pretty easily cause deficiencies in fat soluble vitamins (a, d, e, k) and in minerals such as iron and zinc. The plant forms are not nearly as well absorbed. You don't need a huge plate of steak, but a bit of salmon and eggs can go a long way. It is really hard to get enough iron without red meat though. The iron in plant foods is very difficult to asborb. Some people might need to use supplements.

You can measure if you are getting enough using an app called Cronometer. The only thing I dislike about this app is that it does not differentiate between animal and plant form of vitamins, however, the body does. For example, you can only utilise about 3% of Omega 3s in flax seed, whereas salmon is probably more like 70-80%. Same thing for beta carotene vs preformed vitamin a, non-heme iron vs heme, etc... Nevertheless, it is extremely eye opening to use this app, even if you believe you a healthy eater, as I did.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #43 

GlitterMommy - I will pm you.

ChelleB70

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterMommy
Quote:
My dd suffers from acne too.  She had her hormones tested and her estrogen levels are extremely low and testosterone levels are very high.  She hasn't had a period in over two years.  She is extremely thin and is actually scaring me a little, but all the girls look the same (see below), so there is a lot of pressure to be very thin.  She tried the pill but gained 5 lbs and quit taking it, even though it did help her skin a little bit.  (This photo is after the five pounds and she thinks she's fat now.)   I feel so bad for her.  We have tried pretty much every thing out there, but not Dial soap.  I will suggest that to her.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Paquita 1.jpg 

I realize this is NOT on topic, but have you spoken with the doctor about her amenorrhea? Is her BMI in a safe range? Two years is a LONG time. Thinking she is fat at that size is also not normal.. It's easy to miss signs of an eating disorder as a dance parent, please be careful. I'm speaking from personal experience, not with judgement, with myself and my parents, no one caught on until it was almost too late. Some athletes suffer from amenorrhea simply because they are THAT active.. But the part where she thinks shes fat is bothersome..

I agree with the response.  Not one of those girls in that pic is anywhere nearing fat or anything like it. Athletes and dancers who stop getting their periods do so bc of poor nutrition and/or if they drop to an unhealthy weight.  I actually  had that happen at the end of last yr.  I had c diff (I will be another poster that says "no" to antibiotics for acne bc of the c diff risk) and between the pain I was in and the medication I had to be on I became "anorexic" for a while.  I use the quotes bc I've never had an ED before and don't now however I literally couldn't eat due to physical and mental reasons during this time (one of the side effects of the medication is anorexia).  I lost a lot of weight in a short period of time and didn't have my period for over 3 months until I got back on track nutritionally and weight wise.  I've always had irregular periods but never went for months wo them.

As for acne, I have it in my early 40s more than I did when I was teen. ACK!  Good nutrition def helps but even when I'm eating like a super star I'll get it a bit.  I make sure to wash my face 2ce/day (dancers may need to more often) and use Neutrogena Acne Wash AFTER I wash and condition my hair in the shower.  I also use an acne mask 2ce/wk.  It's silly but Queen Helene (the green gunk from college!) works best for me.  Charcoal masks are good too.  Again, it doesn't eradicate it completely but helps a lot.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 
My dd does NOT have poor nutrition.  Jusy FYI.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleB70

I agree with the response.  Not one of those girls in that pic is anywhere nearing fat or anything like it. Athletes and dancers who stop getting their periods do so bc of poor nutrition and/or if they drop to an unhealthy weight.  I actually  had that happen at the end of last yr.  I had c diff (I will be another poster that says "no" to antibiotics for acne bc of the c diff risk) and between the pain I was in and the medication I had to be on I became "anorexic" for a while.  I use the quotes bc I've never had an ED before and don't now however I literally couldn't eat due to physical and mental reasons during this time (one of the side effects of the medication is anorexia).  I lost a lot of weight in a short period of time and didn't have my period for over 3 months until I got back on track nutritionally and weight wise.  I've always had irregular periods but never went for months wo them.

This commonly held belief is actually not true.  It's a lot more complicated than that &, fortunately, a good many doctors know that & will not sound the alarm bells just because a dancer/athlete is not getting regular periods.  Those that do are oversimplifying things.  Here, from a related article:  

"Even among female athletes that train hard and eat plenty, amenorrhea is common. The biological explanation for this lies in the release of “stress hormones” that are part of the body’s normal response to exercise. These “stress hormones” are similar to those released during “fight or flight” situations, and are also what makes people feel so good after exercising (post-workout euphoria). Unfortunately, these “stress hormones” interfere with the brain’s production of the reproductive hormones necessary to keep the menstrual cycle flowing."

prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #47 
We tried the Murad brand of acne products (cleanser, t-zone treatment, and cream) and had wonderful improvement within days.  Granted not cystic acne, but acne much like what OP described.  
FrancyDancy

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #48 
What about proactiv? I had a friend who had bad acne during pregnancy and she swears by it. I used retin A as a teen and young adult to get my acne under control.
FrancyDancy

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleB70

This commonly held belief is actually not true.  It's a lot more complicated than that &, fortunately, a good many doctors know that & will not sound the alarm bells just because a dancer/athlete is not getting regular periods.  Those that do are oversimplifying things.  Here, from a related article:  

"Even among female athletes that train hard and eat plenty, amenorrhea is common. The biological explanation for this lies in the release of “stress hormones” that are part of the body’s normal response to exercise. These “stress hormones” are similar to those released during “fight or flight” situations, and are also what makes people feel so good after exercising (post-workout euphoria). Unfortunately, these “stress hormones” interfere with the brain’s production of the reproductive hormones necessary to keep the menstrual cycle flowing."

I didn't get my period for the first three months of grad school and I was eating mexican food every day!! Stress would explain it!
FrancyDancy

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #50 
I would like to add something that you can share with your kids who struggle with acne. This is from an acne "survivor" who now has good enough skin[smile]

1. Your skin does not define who you are. I promise even the worse case of acne, is not as noticeable to others as it is to you.

2. This is a temporary situation that eventually will get better.

3. You will still get boyfriends/girlfriends. Acne does not need to change your social life.

4. Don't be shortsighted. Measure very carefully the harms and risks of any treatment that could have an effect on your health in the future.

5. Even celebrities and super models get acne so you are in good company!

6. You will never worry about getting wrinkles because you will always be grateful for your cleared up skin- even when you are older!

7. Next time you are sad over your acne, be glad if this is your only physical ailment. Not to be trite, but it could always be worse. Be thankful for your body and legs that allow you to dance. 

8. The stage doesn't care that you have acne. That is what makeup is for!

9. Hang in there!! It gets better!!!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.