Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My dd13 struggles with acne. She has papular acne with clusters of small red bumps mainly on her forehead. She doesn't really have whiteheads or blackheads. We've been to two dermatologists with very little improvement after several months of treatment, which was a topical antibiotic lotion. We haven't tried oral antibiotics yet. I think the doctors felt she was a bit young at only 12, when this began.

Does anyone else's dd have a similar issue? If so, what face cleaning regiment has worked? Specific products? Just keep it simple? I'm concerned about scaring.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
DS suffered from cystic acne on his face and shoulders.  It was pretty severe and the only thing we could do was oral antibiotics for approx 3 months to clear it up everytime it recurs.
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Dial soap - like the cheap gold bar kind - is worth a try. Works wonders on acne in my family.
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Mine is 16 now and just started antibiotics.  But we also found out a few months ago that she has PCOS and acne from that can be super hard to treat.  

She started getting it at a young age and at some points in time, it did get better or even clear up but now it is severe and the stuff that the dermatologist prescribed did not help. We quit going to her because she pretty much yelled at daughter and told her that she wasn't using the products and was wasting our time.

We then went back to OTC stuff which only seemed to make it worse.  She tried her regular Dr.  What he prescribed only made it worse.  Then he got a promotion.  She got a new Dr. and she is having her try something else.  She is also having her try a regular facial wash and not one for acne.

One good thing, since she quit dance, her back cleared up.  I think taking all those classes and staying in sweaty clothes didn't help.  

This Dr. said things will get worse before they get better.  And they did.  For several days her whole face was purple!  And now, perhaps 3-4 weeks after starting the treatment, things are better.  She is not totally free of pimples but she no longer seems to be getting the really deep ones and the purple and red marks have cleared up.

I also bought a ton of pillow cases.  Now she can have a fresh one each night, in case any bacteria got on there.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I believe I've heard about dial soap before. I will definitely give that a try. My dh loves plain old cheap gold bar dial too [smile].

So frustrating when doctors just won't listen. Acne treatments are trial and error. Dd seems sensitive to BP, salycilic acid products work slightly better.

None of my kids have been blessed with clear skin, so its partially genetic. Ds17 has bacne from a dozen years in sweaty hockey, football, track, etc underarmor shirts. Ds16 just needs to wash his face better and hed be fine. We do our best to keep all clothes and linens fresh and clean. Oh, and makeup brushes too.
emmasissy7

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Dial soap and another soap call Panoxyl. it is usually used for a pre surgery wash. Since my dd has started using it her skin is soooo much better. It is found at pharmacies and sometimes you need to ask for it. You can use all the creams and washes but first you have to kill the bacteria.

Dial soap (the gold bar) is also very good. Since the Panoxyl is expensive and somewhat harsh my kids use dial as a daily body soap. My dd's dermatologist highly recommends rinsing face and body after every activity. DD carries face wipes or a wet facecloth (in a bag) and wipes her face after dance class. Clean sheets and pillowcases and clean clothes washed in fragrance free detergent.

One thing we found for body acne is sleeping in a plain white cotton tshirt - they usually steal dads. Tshirts let the skin breath 
emcandance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Our DR. had us pick up a bar a soap that is in the acne section, cant remember the name and the rapper is long gone.  It is a little pricy but it works great.  It has a medication in the soap for acne.  Just have them rinse really well because it will bleach out your towels if they don't.

I've never heard of Dial working, but that might be worth a try too.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My dd suffers from acne too.  She had her hormones tested and her estrogen levels are extremely low and testosterone levels are very high.  She hasn't had a period in over two years.  She is extremely thin and is actually scaring me a little, but all the girls look the same (see below), so there is a lot of pressure to be very thin.  She tried the pill but gained 5 lbs and quit taking it, even though it did help her skin a little bit.  (This photo is after the five pounds and she thinks she's fat now.)   I feel so bad for her.  We have tried pretty much every thing out there, but not Dial soap.  I will suggest that to her.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Paquita 1.jpg 

dancemonkaymom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Welcome to the frustrating acne club. My daughter at 14, started with the small raised slightly red on her forehead which 7 years later is pretty much the same. Not one thing(clindamycin, benzoin peroxide, epiduo, clarisonic, etc) has ever cleared it up. Many treatments that helped the acne would make her skin so dry that she would peel and then all the moisturizers would burn. Its been a very tough road. Even when she got a facial and they pop all of them, in one week they are back. Her back is the one with the harsher problem. She was on and off with antibiotics for 6 years until last year, she decided enough was enough. Nothing ever cleared it but when she stopped, it would get worse. The dermatologist wanted to put her on Accutane but too many horror stories from people we know of auto-immune and near death side effects has put us off from that. Plus she never had the cystic acne that that usually works for. She stopped dancing last year and I thought that it would go away but while improved, is still there.

It was very difficult for her in dance when there were many costumes with open backs. We would have to use more cover up on her back then on her face. As a mom your heart breaks for them and you try to bolster their confidence.

I have never heard of the Dial soap recommendation but I will mention it to her. Good luck and I hope you find the treatment that helps.
jlm645

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I have seen several people get great results from Accutane.  You have to be really careful with it so don't read this as "advocating" for it's use.  But if it was my child I would at least discuss it with a doctor because when it works it really is amazing.
heartmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I had awful acne and did accutane. It is harsh, but was the only thing that worked for me. I tried many things before that without any results.
ccdcmomlisa`

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
My DD (13 yr old) has acne too. On her face and shoulders/back. She hates it and is so down on herself. We went to the derm who prescribed 2 creams and doxycycline. Well she can't swallow the pills so she has been doing the cream. It did get worse at first, but her skin looks better. She still has them on her back though. UGH She admitted to me the other day she doesn't use the creams all the time which surprised me. It did dry her skin out big time. She uses cetaphil as a face wash. Cerave is another good one. Not harsh at all. Panoxyl didn't do anything for her. 

DS(17) takes accutane. This is his 2nd round actually. He had horrible cystic acne. On his face, back, shoulders and chest. Awful. He looks so good now! Usually 1 round clears it up, but his was so bad he required 2 rounds. But this should keep him clear forever. He didn't have horrible side effects. Worse thing is the super dry lips. But aquaphor takes care of that. 

We are hoping DD won't have to go that route. [frown]
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
The problem with Accutane is dd's dermatologist wouldn't put her on it unless she took the pill, because of serious birth defects.  And she doesn't want to take the pill b/c it makes her gain weight.  She's tried 3 different kinds now. [mad]
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Ah the life of a dancer, right? Lots of skin showing in the costumes, sweating, rolling on yucky floors. My dd13 is very thin too. Last January, her period started. She's had maybe 4 cycles in 11/2 years. Part of the problem, I'm sure. She's also a brunette with blue eyes and freckled fair skin.

We've tried so many OTC acne washes and they've all irritated her skin. She's so good about washing daily, its a shame the usual products don't work.

Dd can't swallow pills either, so oral antibiotics will be difficult. Accutane concerns me but I know it does work beautifully for most. I've known two teens on it, a boy and a girl. The boy had horrible cystic acne and begged to go on it. It caused him terrible stomach issues, depression and he landed in the hospital for therapy. The girl was a less severe case. She was on it for 3 months and her mom told her to monitor closely any changes in mood or symptoms. She started to feel off and stopped using it after 3 months. Acne is better, but not completely gone.

Fortunately dd13s acne isn't cystic or severe. I'd say its moderate, but also a stubborn type. Classic white And blackheads are easier to treat. I just got the gold bar dial and we will see how it goes. [smile]
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
For my older dd accutane was the cure. She had mild but persistent acne. After 2 weeks on accutane she never broke out again. She continued the treatment for 18 weeks. No side effects other than dry lips. Dd number 2 has had success with a combo platter of Panoxyl body wash, Aczone gel, and Minocycline. She has stopped the antibiotic and she's still clear. Hers was also mild but persistent
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Update - dd saw dr. today.  Told her no more pills - too much weight gain, so she prescribed spironolactin.  (Don't think I spelled that right, nor have I heard about it).  Have to research now of course.
IreneP

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
Update - dd saw dr. today.  Told her no more pills - too much weight gain, so she prescribed spironolactin.  (Don't think I spelled that right, nor have I heard about it).  Have to research now of course.

Spironolactone maybe? It's an anti-androgen medication
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrenePink2013
Quote:

I'll have to google that too...
IreneP

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
It basically reduce androgens levels. Androgens are a group of hormones (testosterone etc..) present in both sexes but in a much higher level in men (they are usually called "male hormones"). High level in a woman can be caused by different condition (polycystic ovary syndrome is one of them, for example). Hope this helps a little
Dancemama09

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'll have to google that too...

It's often used to treat high blood pressure too.

DD has been on almost every acne medication known to mankind. What finally worked for her is being on the pill, using a topical cream and changing out pillowcases daily. She had very painful periods too, so it's a win-win, though I understand it's not for everyone. Good luck, it's so hard to deal with.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
It basically reduce androgens levels. Androgens are a group of hormones (testosterone etc..) present in both sexes but in a much higher level in men (they are usually called "male hormones"). High level in a woman can be caused by different condition (polycystic ovary syndrome is one of them, for example). Hope this helps a little

Yes!!!  She has that.  Thank you so much!!
2cocos

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Please, please, please do not put your daughters on Accutane. It is a horrible drug, in the most dangerous class. It is highly associated with autoimmune diseases of all kinds, especially Chron's and ulcerative colitis, which are life threatening. It is also associated to severe brain disorders (the gut and the brain are highly connected).

One of my friend, a doctor no less, took it. A year later, when she was supposed to be all clear, she tried to get pregnant and developed a molar pregnancy. This was a very dangerous condition. She needed to go through a round of chemo to get rid of the tumor. Great way to build a healthy body to try and get pregnant, huh?

Antibiotics are also way underestimated in their risks. It takes just one round to alter your long-term health (it negatively impacts your microbiome which is critical to health - Google "American Gut Project").

Acne is caused by a hormonal imbalance, often PCOS. Birth control pills only mask the symptoms and cause the imbalances to be even worse when you get off of them (I know because I went through this). I wish I could say that it is easy to balance out hormones naturally. It is not. Very few doctors know how. This is why all they ever do is prescribe drug or soaps. They are not well-versed in other approaches. Seek out a functional medicine doctor or naturopathic doctor that specialized in women's health. You will get much farther and fix the problem rather than putting a patch on it and dealing with the serious repercussions to your health and the health of any future children.

Diet is the first place to start. Any doctor who tells you diet doesn't matter, run away fast. What goes on in the inside is directly reflected on the outside. Your skin is one of your most important detox organs and also home to trillions of bacteria, good, bad and neutral. This bacteria feeds off of what you eat. For example, when I eat dairy, I have horrible body odor for a couple of days. If I keep it out, I have absolutely none. Happens every time I try dairy. The bacteria on your skin feed off of sugar and lactose is a specific sugar that my body does not process well. The only thing a topical treatment can do is kill off the bacteria temporarily and distrupt their delicate balance.

Any food that impacts hormones is highly suspect. Dairy is a huge one (they pump the cows full of hormones) as is soy (it is a very high source of plant estrogens). Sugar and grains, especially wheat and corn, are also problematic for many. I highly recommend an elimination diet. The type of practitioners I have recommended are well-versed in this area. You can also check out a book called "The Elimination Diet". I have followed this, it was very difficult to do but so incredibly eye-opening. Many of the health symptoms I have been struggling with, things as wide-ranging as aching all over, back pain, anxiety, bloating and digestive symptoms, to name but a few, were highly impacted by my diet. It was not a cure-all, but a necessary first step for me.

You can also check out the book from Dr Sara Gottfried, MD. She is a Harvard-trained physician specializing in women's hormonal health. Her first book was helpful as a starting point, but made it very clear to me that homone-balancing is very complex and should probably be done with the help of a knowledgeable practitioner.

Oh, and last thing, if your daughter is not eating a healthy, whole-foods based diet free of processed foods 90-99% of the time, the acne will persist. The good news is that this type of diet can be incredibly nourishing and wonderful for manging weight and energy required dance training. It can be difficult to convince teens to change their diets but if they are committed to dance, they need to be just as committed to building a healthy body.

Good luck!
2cocos

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
One last thing to consider. Eating disorders are highly associated with hormonal imbalances. So are blood sugar management issues. You do not need to be overweight or have diabetes to have issues with blood sugar. Increasing protein and healthy fats in the diet and reducing carbs, specifically refined carbs, can make a big difference. Healthy carbs would be sweet potatoes, squashes, brown rice and quinoa, for example. Refined carbs to avoid, any packaged stratchy foods like bread, cereal, pasta, cookies, crackers and chips. Healthy fats like fish, eggs, avocados and chia seeds are also very important for balancing blood sugar (and building hormones).
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
2cocos, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I've been meaning to come back to this post to give an update. Dial was a bit too drying for dd, but lever 2000 aloe, green bar, has helped.

I hear you about dermatologists. Our first one told us flat out that diet didn't matter at all. I know that's not the case.

I'll look into the books you recommended. Dd could definitely eat better. She's not horrible, but typical teenage diet.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cocos
Please, please, please do not put your daughters on Accutane. It is a horrible drug, in the most dangerous class. It is highly associated with autoimmune diseases of all kinds, especially Chron's and ulcerative colitis, which are life threatening. It is also associated to severe brain disorders (the gut and the brain are highly connected).

One of my friend, a doctor no less, took it. A year later, when she was supposed to be all clear, she tried to get pregnant and developed a molar pregnancy. This was a very dangerous condition. She needed to go through a round of chemo to get rid of the tumor. Great way to build a healthy body to try and get pregnant, huh?

Antibiotics are also way underestimated in their risks. It takes just one round to alter your long-term health (it negatively impacts your microbiome which is critical to health - Google "American Gut Project").

Acne is caused by a hormonal imbalance, often PCOS. Birth control pills only mask the symptoms and cause the imbalances to be even worse when you get off of them (I know because I went through this). I wish I could say that it is easy to balance out hormones naturally. It is not. Very few doctors know how. This is why all they ever do is prescribe drug or soaps. They are not well-versed in other approaches. Seek out a functional medicine doctor or naturopathic doctor that specialized in women's health. You will get much farther and fix the problem rather than putting a patch on it and dealing with the serious repercussions to your health and the health of any future children.

Diet is the first place to start. Any doctor who tells you diet doesn't matter, run away fast. What goes on in the inside is directly reflected on the outside. Your skin is one of your most important detox organs and also home to trillions of bacteria, good, bad and neutral. This bacteria feeds off of what you eat. For example, when I eat dairy, I have horrible body odor for a couple of days. If I keep it out, I have absolutely none. Happens every time I try dairy. The bacteria on your skin feed off of sugar and lactose is a specific sugar that my body does not process well. The only thing a topical treatment can do is kill off the bacteria temporarily and distrupt their delicate balance.

Any food that impacts hormones is highly suspect. Dairy is a huge one (they pump the cows full of hormones) as is soy (it is a very high source of plant estrogens). Sugar and grains, especially wheat and corn, are also problematic for many. I highly recommend an elimination diet. The type of practitioners I have recommended are well-versed in this area. You can also check out a book called "The Elimination Diet". I have followed this, it was very difficult to do but so incredibly eye-opening. Many of the health symptoms I have been struggling with, things as wide-ranging as aching all over, back pain, anxiety, bloating and digestive symptoms, to name but a few, were highly impacted by my diet. It was not a cure-all, but a necessary first step for me.

You can also check out the book from Dr Sara Gottfried, MD. She is a Harvard-trained physician specializing in women's hormonal health. Her first book was helpful as a starting point, but made it very clear to me that homone-balancing is very complex and should probably be done with the help of a knowledgeable practitioner.

Oh, and last thing, if your daughter is not eating a healthy, whole-foods based diet free of processed foods 90-99% of the time, the acne will persist. The good news is that this type of diet can be incredibly nourishing and wonderful for manging weight and energy required dance training. It can be difficult to convince teens to change their diets but if they are committed to dance, they need to be just as committed to building a healthy body.

Good luck!

My dermatologist spent many years in medical school and didn't just look stuff up on the Internet. I'm happy to say that accutane did not cause any harm to my dd nor did the antibiotics my younger dd used. There are multiple causes of acne therefore there are many treatment options. A good dermatologist will diagnose the type of acne a patient has and begin with the least risk involved treatment option and go from there to something stronger if needed. People can find internet articles to support or criticize any and everything. That's why it's important to get your information from a licensed dermatologist
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.