Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
jdlw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We went to Access Broadway many years ago and I vaguely remember that they didn't do a top 10 high score.  They only announced first place (you could infer high score because the would announce the "nominees" for first place and then would only tell you who first place was and not where the others fell)>

What I don't remember and what has me confused is I am looking at a schedule for an upcoming competition and while all dances within the same category, type and age group go at the same time (for example all 11-12 year lyrical solos go on Friday night), they do not have all type of dance within an age group at the same time. (for example not all 11-12 solos go in the same session.  Instead, 11-12 solo for lyrical is Friday, but 11-12 solo tap is Saturday morning session and jazz in the afternoon)

So do they wait until the last ceremony of the competition to award the 1st place for something like 11-12 solos?  Or do they do it by category and not by overalls?  i.e. they announce 1st place 11/12 lyrical solo and 1st place tap solo etc, but do not announce 1st place overall 11/12 solo?

How do they operate?

thanks
katsmif

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi- we have been to AB the last two years. Not gonna lie - their whole awards process was confusing. So from what I remember, Friday night is an awards ceremony for the adjudicated awards and 1st in category.  They only give out the 1st place if the performer scores a platinum though - it's not an automatic 1st place if they are the only 8 year old tapper, for example.  (However, this year, they started announcing the top ten, not just calling them "nominees".) The next awards ceremony - for us it was at 6:00 Saturday evening -included all the adjudicated for Saturday, then all the overalls.  Just a word of caution -not sure if it was just for the Orlando event, or if they have been like this at other regionals this year, but on Saturday, the competition was running roughly 90 minutes behind schedule.  We had girls that went on at 11:30pm. Not sure if they (AB) overbooked, or what happened, but it was not fun.  Same thing on Sunday.  We had girls who attended the workshops, and there was supposed to be an audition class afterwards.  Unfortunately, because they were running so behind, they couldn't actually hold the audition class, because they only had the ballroom space until a certain time on Sunday, and they were already over that time limit.  

Hope I helped somewhat - let me know if you have any other questions!  If I can find my program from that weekend, I will look and see what it says for the breakdown for the awards on each day.
jdlw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks!

We just had the competition ...fortunately they actually ran about 10 minutes ahead at ours. They did have 2 rooms going though, so that probably helped. That’s a bummer about how late they ran in Orlando! And what was the audition supposed to be for? Scholarship opportunities?

I was glad they have switched over to top 10 instead of nominees - and there award ceremony was a little faster than I remembered from previous years which was good.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.