Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Any recommendations for a beautiful acapella song for a lyrical solo? My daughter is 10. We were going to do a jazz solo for our 2nd solo (in addition to a contemporary ballet solo she's learning for YAGP) but her comp SO really wants to still do lyrical solo with her again (since she seems to do really well with lyrical and loves it) and is envisioning an acapella song. Thanks for any ideas!
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
At a comp I was at a few weeks ago a dancer did a lyrical solo to an acapella version of Amazing Grace, it was very powerful, and it was amazing to hear how the theatre got dead silent while she danced.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elastigal
At a comp I was at a few weeks ago a dancer did a lyrical solo to an acapella version of Amazing Grace, it was very powerful, and it was amazing to hear how the theatre got dead silent while she danced.

elastigal - are you in the Chicago area? Because I had the same experience watching a lyrical solo to an a capella version of Amazing Grace. It was dead silent in the audience while the dancer was on stage.
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elastigal

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion. I just found a fantastic version! Still open to more ideas though so I can present SO with a few options. Thanks again!
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
DD used this for a contemporary solo last year (she did not use the spoken part at the beginning).

elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
@crafty1 I'm in Southern Ontario.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Pentatonix. 
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Do you want a Capella as in a solo with no background music, or a group a Capella, aka Pentatonix and Pitch Perfect? If the latter, I love this cover of Beyonce's Pretty Hurts. It's available on iTunes.

Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks for all the input. Great suggestions but still open to more. Won't officially decide on a song for at least a month or so. [smile]
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Still searching for the perfect acapella song! Any and all ideas welcome. Love the suggestions so far but not feeling we've found "THE" song quite yet. [smile]
danceteenager

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 

Ioanna Gika- Gone(not completely acapella, but still has that quietly powerful feeling that I think you might be looking for): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhyC0k6j3Rg
And here's a cover of Gone that's completely acapella: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd-75MhDOlc

Sia- Elastic Heart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9EgGR6Hj_c
Ed Sheeran- Photograph: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H1X7JZwD98

emmasissy7

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
shedaisy battle hymn of the republic - I can't link it but it is on youtube

My dd has this on her short list but I don't think it will fly with the choreographer she wants to use. 
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I love anything by Straight No Chaser. But for this purpose (depending on age):

I Won't Give Up
Fix You
Hallelujiah
The Man Who Can't Be Moved
Creep
Soldier
Kiss from a Rose

Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
One of DDs teammates did a solo to "Another Time". I still get goosebumps
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.