Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,192
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone's dancer do this intensive?  DD12 got her acceptance this afternoon and I'm wanting some information before we accept or decline.

Actually, I just read the small print; you have to find your own housing so that is not going to work for us.
0
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 156
Reply with quote  #2 
As you noticed NY doesn't provide housing. A couple of my daughter's friends went last year and one of the moms stayed the whole time - they rented an apartment online. There are more options in the city for older girls, I think 16+ but obviously not for a 12 year old.
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,192
Reply with quote  #3 
Yeah, I just saw that.  I honestly didn't think she would get accepted to that location.  I don't think I feel right about her staying with people she doesn't know but I can't go with her for 5 weeks.  I've got 4 other kids and other things here at home to do.  I never even thought about housing because I didn't think we'd get to this point.

Does it look bad to decline?
0
oatmella

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 70
Reply with quote  #4 
I wouldn't worry about declining. I can't imagine sending dd there as I cant just take off for five weeks and housing in NYC is so pricey. You have to do what makes sense for your family!
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,930
Reply with quote  #5 

No worries about declining. Hundreds of kids do it every year, especially for NYC and especially in the younger age range.  ABT is one of the largest SI programs out there and they have 1000s auditioning every year.  With all that she has accomplished, I am not sure why you thought she wouldn't get into NYC. I thought she would. [smile] 

It is never bad to decline SI acceptance, even with a scholarship. The programs are all well aware that the students audition for multiple programs and there are many reasons dancers decline acceptances. There is nothing to do to decline ABT, if it is as it is in the past. You just let the deadline pass. 

BTW, if the deadline passes and it is like it was in the past, it is very difficult to get that changed should you change your mind. It can be impossible. 

It's funny. NYC was a program dd wanted when she was younger. When she finally got accepted to the NYC location, she didn't want it anymore. 

0
enpointe

Novice Member
Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #6 
My daughter was accepted last year when she was 12. It was her first audition of the season and she was so excited to be accepted. She ultimately turned it down because she ended up being accepted at other places that she wanted more. I would have stayed with her so housing wouldn't have been a problem.

I agree with the others that ABT will not hold it against you. They are a big program and I sincerely doubt that they track non-acceptances from year to year.
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,192
Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you both so much for the great advice.  Yes, I don't think it would be a good decision to go there this year.  We're probably going to pick a smaller program.  About one more week to decide!
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: