Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 19 of 19     «   Prev   16   17   18   19
bw182

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #451 
I think Madison follows through on her movements, extends and finishes them more than maddie... but then she has more experience so that can be expected
Scotty

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #452 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw182
I think Madison follows through on her movements, extends and finishes them more than maddie... but then she has more experience so that can be expected

I agree.  The video also shows Maddie's shortcomings with regard to training or lack of.
DonnaO

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #453 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw182

At the Joffrey scholarship audition, the woman on the board/committee/whatever makes this very point.

She tells Maddie that she kept hoping she would "pause" at the end of a movement, and advised her to learn to "finish" a given movement before "jumping into the next one".

Dancing next to Madison who, to be fair, has more training and experience - particularly in ballet - serves to make that very point.

Also, while I'm not anything like the expert many of you are, I think I can still count and on all of the turns in that video Madison does one more rotation than Maddie does and so, of course, finishes a couple seconds later.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #454 
Madison is just a far superior dancer overall - could be that she is older or it could just be that she has more natural ability/talent.
DanceMomESOD

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #455 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyzdancemom
<p>I like Brianna and also the sassy little 6 year old with an attitude. I am not a fan of Robin Antin at all, and if the Pussycat Dolls are her idea of good dancers she should not be a judge on the show.<br /><br />That tap trio was a disappointment. It was such easy choreography and had very little footwork going on. Looked like something Lily could have done at 8 or 9.</p>

The tap on that episode was horrendous!!!! If that is what the consider tap then I'm disgusted! They set tap back 40 years by showing that routine. Coming from a strong tap studio, with two very strong tappers for daughters, I consider that group an insult to TAP. Not the fault of the dancers, the choreographers should be ashamed of themselves!
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #456 
I would be worried if we didn't see a big difference between a 10 year old and a 13 year old.
Scotty

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #457 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
I would be worried if we didn't see a big difference between a 10 year old and a 13 year old.

The problem is that Maddie is working on the same level and the same skills as Madison and other talented 13 year olds.  But she can't keep up because she doesn't have the appropriate basic level skills. She skipped the basics.  This isn't an example of age being the difference. 
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #458 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda

The problem is that Maddie is working on the same level and the same skills as Madison and other talented 13 year olds.  But she can't keep up because she doesn't have the appropriate basic level skills. She skipped the basics.  This isn't an example of age being the difference. 

I agree, you can look at most of ALM's dancers on DM's and pick apart their technique.  It appears to me it's one of those situations where they learn "dance routines"  more than actual dance technique.
dancemonkaymom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #459 
Who finally wonthis show? I stopped watching after a few weeks.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #460 
Brianna
Granny

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #461 
I have a question that is rather delicate. I don't want to offend. And I am asking it because I noticed last year watching  both Canadian and American high stakes, flashy cooking shows that the attitudes and behaviour in the two countries are totally different. And I see this same attitude among the Dance Mom parents. My question is: Is it possible that mothers speak this way to one another in dance studios in the US; that they run one another's children down and play up their own child's talent? In my whole life, I have never seen such a thing in a studio among parents. My experience here in Canada is that parents are respectful, modest, civil with each other and gracious in defeat. If my child performs, I applaud, of course, but never louder than anyone else. That would be considered boastful and ill mannered.

I went to a kids' piano recital once here in Montreal and at the end of his daughter's piano solo, a father stood up and called out during the applause, "That's my daughter!". Everyone in the hall turned and glared at him. How obnoxious!

On Dance Moms, I am truly shocked at what these mothers say to one another. I think to myself that the producers must be telling them to be outrageous to up the ratings but can viewers tolerate such rudeness?...Abby being the worst. It IS totally off-putting.

And could it be the same on the cooking shows where contestants say things like, "My competitor couldn't make a flambé if his life depended on it. I'm going to win this competition." Bottom line, my question is: In real life in the USA, in dance studios, do mothers speak this way to one another; playing up their child's abilities, boasting and running down other children or parents? Does anyone have even near the same outrageous experiences as we see on Dance Moms?
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #462 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny
I have a question that is rather delicate. I don't want to offend. And I am asking it because I noticed last year watching  both Canadian and American high stakes, flashy cooking shows that the attitudes and behaviour in the two countries are totally different. And I see this same attitude among the Dance Mom parents. My question is: Is it possible that mothers speak this way to one another in dance studios in the US; that they run one another's children down and play up their own child's talent? In my whole life, I have never seen such a thing in a studio among parents. My experience here in Canada is that parents are respectful, modest, civil with each other and gracious in defeat. If my child performs, I applaud, of course, but never louder than anyone else. That would be considered boastful and ill mannered.

I went to a kids' piano recital once here in Montreal and at the end of his daughter's piano solo, a father stood up and called out during the applause, "That's my daughter!". Everyone in the hall turned and glared at him. How obnoxious!

On Dance Moms, I am truly shocked at what these mothers say to one another. I think to myself that the producers must be telling them to be outrageous to up the ratings but can viewers tolerate such rudeness?...Abby being the worst. It IS totally off-putting.

And could it be the same on the cooking shows where contestants say things like, "My competitor couldn't make a flambé if his life depended on it. I'm going to win this competition." Bottom line, my question is: In real life in the USA, in dance studios, do mothers speak this way to one another; playing up their child's abilities, boasting and running down other children or parents? Does anyone have even near the same outrageous experiences as we see on Dance Moms?

In one word...   no.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #463 
Quote:

There are most definitely "stage mom" types at some places and I have certainly heard moms talk about other dancers in a not nice way but nothing like on these shows.

You need to know Granny that Dance Moms is more about the staged drama and fighting than it is about dance. It is far from reality as are most competition/reality shows whether it be dance or cooking or what have you. Conflict/drama=good ratings on TV. Don't believe everything you see.

ETA that I tried not to get rubbed the wrong way by your post but there is an underlying tone of are all Americans that rude? I'm fairly certain you will find rude, ill mannered and selfish people in just about every part of the world.
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #464 
What I have heard from Canadian friends who have attended US competitions is that Americans are more demonstrative and vocal in their cheering (similar to how we would cheer at a hockey game or other sporting event). This is not rude behaviour if that is what everyone else in the audience is doing. It sounds like fun. The Dance Mom show is obviously ridiculous and not reality!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #465 

This is a television show. It it is not real life, even though they say it is a "reality" show. A reality TV show and a documentary are NOT the same thing. Yes, the producers are known to encourage these behaviors. I recall a parent here who was at one of the fake competitions they stage for the show explaining how a screaming scene at a competition was repeated more than once. That alone should speak volumes. 

kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #466 
As a Canadian, I'll attest to the fact we have rude, loud, condescending parents here too.  One of them did a pretty good job of changing the trajectory of DD's path in dance.  
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #467 
Quote:

As with all reality shows, the term reality is not literal.  I am sure there are stage type moms around (I'd bet there are some in Canada as well) but the behavior of the moms on the tv show is not the norm nor is Abby's behavior; if my daughter's teacher acted like Abby, she wouldn't be dancing at the studio she goes to.  As for clapping, I sure as heck clap loudly when someone from our team wins; I see nothing wrong with showing pride in our kids.  We have a mom on our team who everyone can hear; she claps loudly and cheers for the kids (the kids can hear her when they're getting offstage); no one thinks anything of it.  Now, if we were booing other kids or showing behavior like that, of course that would be disrespectful and obnoxious.  I have heard on this forum of people bringing cowbells which does sound obnoxious but I've never run into that so far in real life. My daughter won a handstand contest at school during her gymshow and the people behind me were commenting on how long she held it; I did say "That's my girl!"  No one took that as running other kids down.
mookiel

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #468 
As a Canadian I have seen not very nice behaviors right here from dance moms. Nothing like the show but not super nice either. It's ignorant to think that kind of thing doesn't happen everywhere. Anytime I have traveled to the States I have found the people as a whole friendly and nice. Just like I find most in Canada. 

It is a fake, scripted TV show that thrives on drama. It's not reality. 

As for clapping, damn right I clap louder for our studio. I do still clap for other studios of course but I will cheer for ours loudest any day!

Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #469 
These parents try to be as dramatic as possible, they feel that if they are not controversial is then they are not going to be needed on the show.
Granny

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #470 
Well, that is a relief that this is not real life dance studio parent behaviour!
I love watching the girls dance on Dance Moms but hate the meanness. I can't see how it would increase ratings. Who would enjoy watching such disrespect, bullying and vulgarity?... Surely, almost no viewers enjoy that drama. And it seems to be getting worse. One has to suffer through it just to be able to see snippets of these incredible little dancers like Lily, Maddy or Bryn dance.
There are some YouTube videos that are incredible to watch of very young, Russian girls vying for positions in prestigious dance schools. Here is one documentary that is absolutely fascinating. It's a tough life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w9MS7zLB4M
One thing about cheering; I agree that cheering with enthusiasm for your child's team is fine because you are not just cheering for your child but for the group and you are expressing your excitement. But when a child does a solo, whether it be piano, violin, skating, dance...etc.. I don't think a parent should be cheering the loudest or making whopping sounds. It's bragging. And to hear those Dance Moms saying how wonderful their own children are makes me cringe. Lately, in Dance Moms, Melissa, whom I admired because she was 'modest' about her daughter, Maddy's achievements, has become arrogant and obnoxious. And by extension, so has Maddy. Very unflattering. 
I hope that my little granddaughter-to-be will take ballet lessons (and violin). It creates confidence in a child, poise and elegance. Also, sensitivity because the child has to learn to internalize and feel the music and express it through dance. And it's good exercise and motivation to stay slim and healthy.
Dance should be a wonderful preparation for life...unless the child is made the victim of humiliation and intimidation by the teacher or parents. That can be counter productive and very damaging.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.