Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 6 of 19     «   Prev   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next   »
DonnaO

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #126 
In addition to this being unbearably cute - and the subsequent performance astonishingly good - at .15. .21, .51 you can clearly see Brooke behind Amanda's right shoulder.

In this video, Amanda is 10, or about the same age as Maddie Ziegler is now.

D'Angelo was a year younger but he comes by it honestly; his parents are professional Latin Dance competitors. He's currently on America's Got talent, or he was last time I knew.

The big question is whether Amanda ought to be on AUDC at all; she and D'Angelo won LTD and split the $500,000 first prize.

Either way, the interview is so sweet it will give you tooth decay and the performance is stunning.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #127 

I don't think anyone will argue that some of the girls on this show are very talented.  And? 

Personally I don't need tv shows like this.  I see beautiful dancers every week in our studio.  I see them every time we attend a convention/ competition.  I can go watch professional performances.  The options are endless.  This type of show cheapens what our children work so hard to achieve in my opinion.  Abby is a joke.  Collins Ave is a joke.  These 'docu-soaps' are a joke.  And the people who allow themselves to be used as pawns in these abominations are also making themselves look like jokes.  Not a fan.  Sorry.

ETA:  and re: Brooke in the background?  To me that just proves what I've always suspected of mothers who choose to get their children involved in these projects.  And that's not meant to be a compliment.

dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #128 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaO
So how is the view from way up there on that high horse some of you are on?

Since so many of you seem to have missed it, let me give you an update:

There was a show on TV last Tuesday where we got to see some exquisite performances by some of the best young dancers around, like Brianna Haire and Amanda Carbajales and Jordyn Jones and Hadley Walts and Madison O'Connor. It was really great.

Sorry so many of you were so busy sniffing about Abby Lee Miller that you didn't turn it on. Hope the Gilmore Girls rerun was a good one.

Everybody gripes about DM because of all the fighting ALM does with the Moms. In AUDC, in two full hour-long episodes she never spoke with a single dancers mother. Not one word.

Everybody says they hate watching Dance Moms because of ALM's abrasive teaching style. In AUDC she does exactly no teaching whatsoever.

Everyone complains that what DM ought to have is more dancing, with more and better dancers. On AUDC there is probaly three times as much actual dancing on display, with three times as many dancers, including a few of the absolute best age group dancers in the US.

I could go on, but the point is that all the things everyone moans about with regard to Dance Moms and ALM are absent from AUDC. So what's the beef?

The only thing that's left is the "Momma Drama" and I agree, it's a waste of perfectly good time that I personally would rather spend watching the dancers.

BUT BUT BUT

Here's a clue for you; the ridiculous drama - almost all of which is staged, scripted and/or provoked  (or, as the producers would have it, "suggested") for them.

Which doesn't make it watchable or enjoyable or even mildly entertaining. What it DOES do is GET IT ONE THE AIR.

If you don't care for it, I understand. So just go watch one of the many, many other TV shows that present young dancers practicing and performing.

What? There aren't any? Really? Gosh. imagine that.

The reality is that the drama garbage is how this thing gets on TV and draws an audience. You and I may not like it much but you and I don't own a network. Or at least I don't.

The producers actually have a name for it: they're calling this a "docu-soap", by which they mean the dancers are real and everything else is pretty much faked.

But aside from this cheezy format, the last time we got anything like some serious dance was with Paula Abdul's Live to Dance. Recall that? You ought to because Amanda Carbajales, the "Amanda C" on AUDC won it with her partner D"Angelo Castro.

Second place was won by Kendall Glover, an amazing 11/12 who many argued should have won.

If I have the time I'll post a YouTube video (or you can go find it, not hard) of Amanda and D'Angelo being interviewed just prior to going on for their audition. Sitting on the floor just behind her, waiting to go on, is Brooke Hyland.

There's another video from a month or so later which has snippets of audition performances for the same show which includes three brief glimpses of a seven year old named Maddie Ziegler, who was accepted for the second season but it was cancelled before any of that made it on TV.

Point being, these girls want and deserve to be and SHOULD be on TV, but they pulled the plug on Live to Dance after ONE MONTH on the air. Nobody watched.

And if putting up with a little ALM is the price we have to pay for getting these dancers on TV - was Brianna Haire on some other network last week and I missed it? - then so be it.

Furthermore, AUDC is pretty Abby Lite. She doesn't talk with DM's, she doesn't choreograph, she doesn't instruct. She's very much like Simon Cowell sitting on the right side of the panel.

(In fact, when they started casting the show last November it was going to be titled "My Kid Can Dance" but Lifetime decided that putting Abby's name on it, even if it wasn't really her show, would garnr enough of an audience to keep it on the air. The decision cost them some dancers who had previously committed, but really who is the loser there? Abby is doing fine and the two or three girls whose names and faces and performances won't be seen by a few million people are at home nursing their parent's pride.)

So you can sit around airily refusing to watch or making catty remarks about whether Abby is right about foot position for Hip-Hop (and, frankly, it's debateable but even if it wasn't, she made a couple dozen spot-on observations that, oddly, nobody is bringing up.)

Bottom line, this format is perfect for ALM. Much better than DM, by a mile. And in the process we get to see some incredible young dancers who we wouldn't otherwise get to watch.

Letting snobbishness - there's no other word for it - about ALM get in the way of watching and supporting and keeping young dance talent on TV is shortsighted, arrogant and, frankly, just plain dumb.

I love the show. I'm still going to criticize a mom who lets a 6 six year old dance like she works in a strip club, from up on my high horse
DonnaO

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #129 
Brief shots of a a very young Maddie at 1.05 , 1.19 and 2.25.

I'd rather see these kids on a show where I have to put up with ALM once in a while than have to sit through the tapdancing middle aged clown acts.

savgirlsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #130 
So, Donna... Which dancer are you related to?
DonnaO

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #131 
Quote:
Originally Posted by savgirlsmom

I wish. I'd love to give Hadley's mother a piece of my mind. Or two.

As for the six year old, I agree that the YouTube performances are over the line.

For years the dance world - and, let's be honest, the Cheer world as well - has tip toed a very fine line between "sleazy" and "good girls just fooling around", and it only compounds the problem when it filters down to the 6 year olds.

In this case, however, a) I'm a firm believer that, like it or not, the decision about that kind of thing ought to be left to a kid's mother (I have enough problems raising my own) and b) until they have Asia doing those kinds of routines on AUDC, it's not germane. And I'd be shocked if they did.

If nothing else, I think we have a very clear and complete picture of the kind of material ALM thinks a kid that age ought to be doing based on what she sends MacKenzie Ziegler out there wearing and performing.

She's not calling all the shots on this show but I highly doubt she'd sit still for much "sizzling rear end" stuff.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #132 
Except for "Electricity" from DM season 1
melpadgett

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #133 

Quote:
Originally Posted by savgirlsmom

someones "aunt" no doubt lol!

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #134 
Does anyone else find it kind of strange that Maddie, and now Brooke according to our newest poster, were out shopping for their 15 minutes of fame before Dance Moms and then just happened to find themselves on a reality show centered around a woman who ran the studio they had danced at for years?
DonnaO

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #135 
Well I don't have anything like inside information and don't mean to imply that I do, but if you believe ALM, it's purely coincidence. She claims the producer has been trying to talk her into doing a show for years.

DTL was auditioned in New York and LA, and drew a lot of dancers from the East Coast.

Plus, Melissa Ziegler has been very aggressive...um..."marketing" her daughter. In fact, Maddie was in New York a lot around that time auditioning for the musical "Billy Elliot", for which she got - supposedly - eight callbacks, but then Dance Moms came along and she couldn't do Broadway since the ALDC dance team competes in amateur-only comps.

(Which is why they do all those goofy "Meet & Greet" events where you can "meet" and/or "greet" one or two of the girls for $50 or $100 bucks. - "Free" t-shirt included - because they aren't paid to be on DM. What they do get is all their travel expenses and costumes, since those are "production costs" and not salary. Otherwise, who would pay to fly to Los Angeles for a few days to sit around wondering if ALM was going to let you compete? They do stupid junk like that because it doesn't cost them anything.)

Point being - as we all know - aggressive dance parents with talented kids show up at a whole bunch of auditions. Brooke and Maddie are considered to be elite talent, and it's hardly surprising if they showed up at an audition for a TV dance talent show.

(Also: for those of you who can't get enough of ALM, Lifetime just renewed them for next year: 26 shows! Good God.)

DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #136 
I really wish they would bring back Live to Dance, my girls and I really loved that show, and loved Kendall and Amanda C.  

We are watching this one for the dancing and nothing more.. The moms are annoying and there are a few I would love to just slap.
GMA

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #137 
Ok...so maybe not a mom or an aunt.  Instead, I'm thinking a member of the staff.    
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #138 
Quote:
Ok...so maybe not a mom or an aunt.  Instead, I'm thinking a member of the staff.    

WOW. Just wow. I wonder if she also "knows" what color of underwear Abby is wearing today?
DanceMom20

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #139 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmom
Quote:

WOW. Just wow. I wonder if she also "knows" what color of underwear Abby is wearing today?

You guys can really be mean girls sometimes, isn't it possible she's just a fan???

classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #140 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaO

Since so many of you seem to have missed it, let me give you an update:

There was a show on TV last Tuesday where we got to see some exquisite performances by some of the best young dancers around, like Brianna Haire and Amanda Carbajales and Jordyn Jones and Hadley Walts and Madison O'Connor. It was really great.

Sorry so many of you were so busy sniffing about Abby Lee Miller that you didn't turn it on. Hope the Gilmore Girls rerun was a good one.

Everybody gripes about DM because of all the fighting ALM does with the Moms. In AUDC, in two full hour-long episodes she never spoke with a single dancers mother. Not one word.

Everybody says they hate watching Dance Moms because of ALM's abrasive teaching style. In AUDC she does exactly no teaching whatsoever.

Everyone complains that what DM ought to have is more dancing, with more and better dancers. On AUDC there is probaly three times as much actual dancing on display, with three times as many dancers, including a few of the absolute best age group dancers in the US.

I could go on, but the point is that all the things everyone moans about with regard to Dance Moms and ALM are absent from AUDC. So what's the beef?

The only thing that's left is the "Momma Drama" and I agree, it's a waste of perfectly good time that I personally would rather spend watching the dancers.

BUT BUT BUT

Here's a clue for you; the ridiculous drama - almost all of which is staged, scripted and/or provoked  (or, as the producers would have it, "suggested") for them.

Which doesn't make it watchable or enjoyable or even mildly entertaining. What it DOES do is GET IT ONE THE AIR.

If you don't care for it, I understand. So just go watch one of the many, many other TV shows that present young dancers practicing and performing.

The reality is that the drama garbage is how this thing gets on TV and draws an audience. You and I may not like it much but you and I don't own a network. Or at least I don't.

The producers actually have a name for it: they're calling this a "docu-soap", by which they mean the dancers are real and everything else is pretty much faked.

But aside from this cheezy format, the last time we got anything like some serious dance was with Paula Abdul's Live to Dance. Recall that? You ought to because Amanda Carbajales, the "Amanda C" on AUDC won it with her partner D"Angelo Castro.

Second place was won by Kendall Glover, an amazing 11/12 who many argued should have won.

If I have the time I'll post a YouTube video (or you can go find it, not hard) of Amanda and D'Angelo being interviewed just prior to going on for their audition. Sitting on the floor just behind her, waiting to go on, is Brooke Hyland.

There's another video from a month or so later which has snippets of audition performances for the same show which includes three brief glimpses of a seven year old named Maddie Ziegler, who was accepted for the second season but it was cancelled before any of that made it on TV.

Point being, these girls want and deserve to be and SHOULD be on TV, but they pulled the plug on Live to Dance after ONE MONTH on the air. Nobody watched.

And if putting up with a little ALM is the price we have to pay for getting these dancers on TV - was Brianna Haire on some other network last week and I missed it? - then so be it.

Furthermore, AUDC is pretty Abby Lite. She doesn't talk with DM's, she doesn't choreograph, she doesn't instruct. She's very much like Simon Cowell sitting on the right side of the panel.

(In fact, when they started casting the show last November it was going to be titled "My Kid Can Dance" but Lifetime decided that putting Abby's name on it, even if it wasn't really her show, would garnr enough of an audience to keep it on the air. The decision cost them some dancers who had previously committed, but really who is the loser there? Abby is doing fine and the two or three girls whose names and faces and performances won't be seen by a few million people are at home nursing their parent's pride.)

So you can sit around airily refusing to watch or making catty remarks about whether Abby is right about foot position for Hip-Hop (and, frankly, it's debateable but even if it wasn't, she made a couple dozen spot-on observations that, oddly, nobody is bringing up.)

Bottom line, this format is perfect for ALM. Much better than DM, by a mile. And in the process we get to see some incredible young dancers who we wouldn't otherwise get to watch.

Letting snobbishness - there's no other word for it - about ALM get in the way of watching and supporting and keeping young dance talent on TV is shortsighted, arrogant and, frankly, just plain dumb.

Many of us aren't watching.  I only come onto this thread so that I won't end up at a dance comp where this little crew is. . . .  Being on tv appears to be the ultimate attainment for many people. To each his own.

And Abby really isn't Simon, not anywhere close.  Simon is a millionaire producer and tv executive. Abby Leigh is a successful competition studio owner who has crafted a reality show. (And really there are many more in her set who have more successful records with past students.)
DonnaO

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #141 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceTumbleCheerMom
I really wish they would bring back Live to Dance, my girls and I really loved that show, and loved Kendall and Amanda C.  

Me too. Good fn.

Of course the sad thing is that it drew easily twice or more the ratings that DM does. The problem is that for CBS that's not good enough but for Lifetime it's a bonanza.

Interesting that you mention your girls though: Lifetime has an interesting dilemma in that the ratings for DM were just OK for the first season but went nuts in season #2 and almost all of it was in the youngest demo.

To the extent that the average Lifetime viewer - the network overall - dropped FIVE years, from 38 to 32.

In short, it's suddenly young girls who are driving the show and they're Maddie and Chloe and Kendall fans. They don't give a hoot about Kelly's latest psychosis.

Up until now they've stayed maddeningly true to the Dance MOMS theme of the thing but they may need to reconsider it.

And ditto AUDC; the ratings were not at all good - less than a million households and a .03 rating, which will get it yanked, no questions asked. DM Miami did better than that.

But if it's going to go it'll be because of the girls, not women in the 30's and 40's tuning in to watch Mrs. O'Connor scream at Mrs. Jones. This show needs to catch fire with girls 6-18, like DM did, or it'll be very short lived.
2DancinDivas

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #142 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

I don't think anyone will argue that some of the girls on this show are very talented.  And? 

Personally I don't need tv shows like this.  I see beautiful dancers every week in our studio.  I see them every time we attend a convention/ competition.  I can go watch professional performances.  The options are endless.  This type of show cheapens what our children work so hard to achieve in my opinion.  Abby is a joke.  Collins Ave is a joke.  These 'docu-soaps' are a joke.  And the people who allow themselves to be used as pawns in these abominations are also making themselves look like jokes.  Not a fan.  Sorry.

ETA:  and re: Brooke in the background?  To me that just proves what I've always suspected of mothers who choose to get their children involved in these projects.  And that's not meant to be a compliment.

Where is the "Love Button" when you need it?

rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #143 
I took DonnaO's post to sound very sarcastic and know-it-all. I know we're dealing with print instead of in-person communication, so people tend to intrepret things differently. Maybe you guys read it differently than I did???
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #144 
"DonnaO came off as snarky to me. Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions.  She just seemed to bash everyone else for having one that differed from hers. I will happily stay aloft my unicorn and accept her opinion and anyone elses, but I will not change mine."

I would like a fluffy unicorn, too. But it must be pink and poop glitter.
Charade

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #145 
I have absolutely noting to add to this conversation, but this line just made my day. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer
My horse is so high it's a freakin' pink fluffy unicorn dancing on a rainbow.
happytappyfeet

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #146 
I'm in Canada so I haven't seen the show. However, I don't need to see it in order to say that I believe DonnaO is her to stir up sh*t.

First of all she states:

Quote:

Very first sentence of very first post -- at the very least it is snarky.

Further on she states:

Quote:

Seriously, you are just trying to pick a fight?!

Quote:

BUT BUT BUT

So, there are moms here who believe that putting their children on this type of show is not in their best interest as it may be psychologically damaging. You come across that it is a small price to pay to get your child on TV. Really?!

Quote:

No one deserves to be on television. You make it sound like there is some great injustice in the world if a dancer doesn't make it on TV by the time she hits her teens. There is just so much wrong with this thinking, I think I'll just leave it at that.

Quote:

So are you upset that people refuse to watch it or people complain about aspects of it when they do watch it? Seriously, why do you care?

Quote:

Even though I haven't watched the show, I've taken a look at their videos. I can safely say I have had plenty of opportunity to watch dancers just as good or better than the dancers on this show. 

Quote:

Just because someone doesn't like a show doesn't make them a snob. I can decide for myself what I consider quality. You're assuming that everyone who doesn't like or watch this show does so because of Abby. A lot of people don't watch because it is just bad television and/or they are opposed to parents putting their children in positions that they feel they cannot support. Gee, I don't know how that makes them shortsighted, arrogant, or dumb. Actually, I think they come to these decision after thoughtful consideration. I can't say you applied the same thoughtfulness before coming on here to post.

DonnaO, would you mind sharing with us your interest in this show. Your OP was quite strong for just a fan. Can you confirm that you are in no way associated with this production? 
happytappyfeet

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #147 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charade
I have absolutely noting to add to this conversation, but this line just made my day. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer
My horse is so high it's a freakin' pink fluffy unicorn dancing on a rainbow.

Can I join the unicorn club?!

tapstermom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #148 
Unicorn?  I want one too......
Charade

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #149 
Couldn't resist posting this.[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4i7vS_UO4Q[/video]
3leftfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #150 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: