Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 19     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next   »
mommytomany

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #101 
Asia Ray, it's pretty easy to find her videos. I  am pretty sure she was 5 when she did PYT. Her parents are involved in an entertainment/competitive industry and are pretty savvy about getting her info out there.

Both Asia and her mom are pleasant but very competitive. I was surprised to see those promos with the mom screaming and acting crazy, thats not her norm!
momtotapcate

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #102 
I cannot understand why all the girls have over-the-top stage make-up on, even for rehearsals?  Really?  I wanted to go at their faces with a washcloth.
Scotty

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #103 
Quote:
Now that she is 6 I dont think its very cute and her attitude is horrible as well! 

It's horrible to watch.  She's so cute, it's too bad.   If that continues to be her only training, she will only qualify to dance in the adult entertainment industry.  
2DancinDivas

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #104 
Only reason I dvr'ed this was because of Anthony Burrell who I can't believe would even associate himself with this garbage....
2DancinDivas

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #105 
Also Hadley's mom irked my soul!!!!!
melpadgett

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #106 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotapcate
I cannot understand why all the girls have over-the-top stage make-up on, even for rehearsals?  Really?  I wanted to go at their faces with a washcloth.

IKR??!!!
melpadgett

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #107 

Okay, here's a better one that isn't all sexy and sleazy
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #108 
Quote:
It is pretty normal in lots of areas for 6/7 year olds to dance like Asia including where I live.  Our kids all know the difference between performing and real life even at that age.

IMO it's not about "knowing the difference", it's just a line that should not be crossed.  There's just no reason for it so why do it?  Why take little kids to places where they really don't need to be?  I doubt people who approve of such performances would approve of little kids playing 'stripper bar' in the basement, or performing such numbers at the family reunion or school/community talent show.  And amateur dance comp is really only one very small (albeit expensive) step above........especially for a 6/7 yo.        

It's just a case of very poor judgement all the way around.
sansha

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #109 
totally agree about the laid on with a trowel makeup, for girls and Moms. Nauseating.  Who at Collins thinks that is attractive?

Notice the quick disclaimer at the end - that who wins depends on Collins Ave and Lifetime in addition to the judges' opinions.  Meaning, they are going to keep around longer presumably whoever provides the best Mama drama. Dancing ability is presumably only a factor.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #110 
no one is disputing she is a good dancer, especially for a 6 year old. the problem is thinking that it is ok for a 6 year old to dance like that. there are plenty of age appropriate dances that would showcase her talent better!
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #111 
We love Asia here! Yes, some of her moves are inappropriate, and I wouldn't want my kid doing them, but she is so young and personality filled that I actually don't find them anything but cute. if she was 9-10-11, it would be gross. If you describe them(butt shaking while looking sassy over shoulder), it sounds awful. But somehow in the context of the whole dance, by such a little girl, it doesn't really seem inappropriate to me. She exudes sass and attitude, not sexy. I am normally pretty uptight about those things, but for her, it doesn't seem inappropriate because she carries the dance so well and it meshes with her personality to be fun, not sexy.

Her mom doesn't seem crazy, but Hadleys mom has a serious case of crazy eyes, and Elizabeth is drama waiting to happen!

My only complaint with this show is how they knock girls out- it's awful and far too emotionally abusive, IMO. We could hardly stand to watch, it's just cruel. So we decided to turn it off and just look online in the future to see who stays or goes. I don't want to watch those girls suffer from the manipulative practices of the stupid producers! They are just kids after all.
dancemama21

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #112 
I think its hard for a mom who is also a dance teacher not to critique their child especially when it involves dance Yvette (hadley's mom) seems like a normal "teacher dance mom" to me. Elisabeth is 13 she's going through that "drama stage" that most teens go through it's just life. Asia dances too sexy its not sassy at all some parts yes are sassy I loved her PYT solo but Control is way too sexy for someone that age! shaking her butt and slapping it in a sexual manner is over the top! You can be sassy without being sexy! Sorry if I am coming off harsh but that type of dancing on someone younger than 18 just really bothers me. I know for some people "sexy/sassy" is cute for the young ones because they don't really know what they are doing. Hopefully she will tone it down as she gets older and will show her fabulous technique. 
Scotty

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #113 
Quote:
We love Asia here! Yes, some of her moves are inappropriate, and I wouldn't want my kid doing them, but she is so young and personality filled that I actually don't find them anything but cute. if she was 9-10-11, it would be gross.

So, in 3 short years she will be 9 years old, pre-adolescent.  That means, in  your opinion, it will then be gross.  But the problem is, that will be all she knows because teachers were too busy thinking she was cute doing grown-up choreography.  

It might seem cute now because there are so few 6 year olds who can dance like that.  In 10 years, it won't be so cute.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #114 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
Quote:
<span style="font-family: verdana, 'century gothic', Arial; font-size: 12px; background-color: #e6e6e6;">We love Asia here! Yes, some of her moves are inappropriate, and I wouldn't want my kid doing them, but she is so young and personality filled that I actually don't find them anything but cute. if she was 9-10-11, it would be gross.</span>
<br /><br />So, in 3 short years she will be 9 years old, pre-adolescent.  That means, in  your opinion, it will then be gross.  But the problem is, that will be all she knows because teachers were too busy thinking she was cute doing grown-up choreography.  <br /><br />It might seem cute now because there are so few 6 year olds who can dance like that.  In 10 years, it won't be so cute.

Exactly
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #115 
Yes, that is it exactly. She is so young, it is remarkable and IMO, cute. Individually, the moves are too mature, but put together, by her, they don't really seem inappropriate (to me). I would fully expect more mature dancing in different styles in 3 years, yes. And if not- if all she's got is shaking her booty- well, that's just sad, because it moves into the territory of "sex sells". With a mom who is a dance teacher, I am assuming that won't happen?

cndb

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #116 
It makes me sad to watch her do that choreography in that way.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #117 
There will always be people who defend it...that's why we see it happening again and again (although I must say I have never seen it in person at a competition, only on youtube videos). Of course I've seen videos of little little kids grinding on each other while their parents watch and laugh and even encourage it.  Ick.  Sadly, some people just don't get the big picture.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #118 
I was not defending it just saying it is the norm in a lot of areas.  Different ares of the country have different norms and it really isn't fair to criticize a societal difference.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #119 
Quote:
Is the big ole flower things growing out of most of the kids heads a normal thing? Regional maybe? 

The littles at our studio wear them. About 10+ wears these rhinestoned headbands everyone got at Nationals last year. 
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #120 
When dd 9 was 6, her jazz dance was called I Wanna Be a Rockette. DD7's dance last year was called Gumballs. Lots of merbau, high kicks, cartwheels, and twirling. NOTHING like that dance. Wow. 
savgirlsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #121 
Yeah... I just don't see slapping your hiney with handcuffs as appropriate for a 6 year old in any part of the country.
ChelleB70

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #122 
I just saw this show last night for the first time and was disgusted by the mothers!  Some of those girls are going to need more therapy than the Dance Moms girls.  I felt particularly bad for the little girl who messed up and her mom said "that's ok.  we can go home now".  First, there's no "we" in this.  Stop living vicariously through your daughter!  Second, what a way to put a guilt trip on her and make her feel horrible.  She looked like she was on the verge of a panic attack.  I will def not be watching this show again. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #123 
I caught it late last night for the first time too.  Seemed like a lot of manufactured drama to me.....again.  Not sure what else I would've expected.  The comments the "judges" made towards the girls were pretty worthless (loved when Abby told a dancer that her blonde hair was "working").  And since when do you tell a dancer who is dancing hip hop that her feet needed to be turned out???????

I'd be surprised if we see a second season of this show.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #124 
Quote:
Originally Posted by savgirlsmom
Yeah... I just don't see slapping your hiney with handcuffs as appropriate for a 6 year old in any part of the country.

DonnaO

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #125 
So how is the view from way up there on that high horse some of you are on?

Since so many of you seem to have missed it, let me give you an update:

There was a show on TV last Tuesday where we got to see some exquisite performances by some of the best young dancers around, like Brianna Haire and Amanda Carbajales and Jordyn Jones and Hadley Walts and Madison O'Connor. It was really great.

Sorry so many of you were so busy sniffing about Abby Lee Miller that you didn't turn it on. Hope the Gilmore Girls rerun was a good one.

Everybody gripes about DM because of all the fighting ALM does with the Moms. In AUDC, in two full hour-long episodes she never spoke with a single dancers mother. Not one word.

Everybody says they hate watching Dance Moms because of ALM's abrasive teaching style. In AUDC she does exactly no teaching whatsoever.

Everyone complains that what DM ought to have is more dancing, with more and better dancers. On AUDC there is probaly three times as much actual dancing on display, with three times as many dancers, including a few of the absolute best age group dancers in the US.

I could go on, but the point is that all the things everyone moans about with regard to Dance Moms and ALM are absent from AUDC. So what's the beef?

The only thing that's left is the "Momma Drama" and I agree, it's a waste of perfectly good time that I personally would rather spend watching the dancers.

BUT BUT BUT

Here's a clue for you; the ridiculous drama - almost all of which is staged, scripted and/or provoked  (or, as the producers would have it, "suggested") for them.

Which doesn't make it watchable or enjoyable or even mildly entertaining. What it DOES do is GET IT ONE THE AIR.

If you don't care for it, I understand. So just go watch one of the many, many other TV shows that present young dancers practicing and performing.

What? There aren't any? Really? Gosh. imagine that.

The reality is that the drama garbage is how this thing gets on TV and draws an audience. You and I may not like it much but you and I don't own a network. Or at least I don't.

The producers actually have a name for it: they're calling this a "docu-soap", by which they mean the dancers are real and everything else is pretty much faked.

But aside from this cheezy format, the last time we got anything like some serious dance was with Paula Abdul's Live to Dance. Recall that? You ought to because Amanda Carbajales, the "Amanda C" on AUDC won it with her partner D"Angelo Castro.

Second place was won by Kendall Glover, an amazing 11/12 who many argued should have won.

If I have the time I'll post a YouTube video (or you can go find it, not hard) of Amanda and D'Angelo being interviewed just prior to going on for their audition. Sitting on the floor just behind her, waiting to go on, is Brooke Hyland.

There's another video from a month or so later which has snippets of audition performances for the same show which includes three brief glimpses of a seven year old named Maddie Ziegler, who was accepted for the second season but it was cancelled before any of that made it on TV.

Point being, these girls want and deserve to be and SHOULD be on TV, but they pulled the plug on Live to Dance after ONE MONTH on the air. Nobody watched.

And if putting up with a little ALM is the price we have to pay for getting these dancers on TV - was Brianna Haire on some other network last week and I missed it? - then so be it.

Furthermore, AUDC is pretty Abby Lite. She doesn't talk with DM's, she doesn't choreograph, she doesn't instruct. She's very much like Simon Cowell sitting on the right side of the panel.

(In fact, when they started casting the show last November it was going to be titled "My Kid Can Dance" but Lifetime decided that putting Abby's name on it, even if it wasn't really her show, would garnr enough of an audience to keep it on the air. The decision cost them some dancers who had previously committed, but really who is the loser there? Abby is doing fine and the two or three girls whose names and faces and performances won't be seen by a few million people are at home nursing their parent's pride.)

So you can sit around airily refusing to watch or making catty remarks about whether Abby is right about foot position for Hip-Hop (and, frankly, it's debateable but even if it wasn't, she made a couple dozen spot-on observations that, oddly, nobody is bringing up.)

Bottom line, this format is perfect for ALM. Much better than DM, by a mile. And in the process we get to see some incredible young dancers who we wouldn't otherwise get to watch.

Letting snobbishness - there's no other word for it - about ALM get in the way of watching and supporting and keeping young dance talent on TV is shortsighted, arrogant and, frankly, just plain dumb.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.