Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
American National Ballet is holding in person auditions this weekend in MD and PA, in case anyone has a dancer looking right now. 

DD has a friend who just got a position at Manassass. Several friends going to Tuscon too. That made me scan the list to see if the other small companies that some of her friends have positions with next year are on that list. The rest are though I don't see Atlantic City Ballet. 

I will say that there are auditions that dd did that were a complete waste of time. There were companies that were clearly not hiring. companies that were hiring one person and hundreds showed up, and companies that were only looking for dancers to come pay tuition. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

I will say that there are auditions that dd did that were a complete waste of time. There were companies that were clearly not hiring. companies that were hiring one person and hundreds showed up, and companies that were only looking for dancers to come pay tuition. 

Tuition based programs (post grad or trainee) are not all that atypical for the first year or two out though, no?  Seems reasonable to me... depending on the tuition (and the program) of course.  I've always thought of it as climbing the ladder.  And the reality is that most people will have to start at the bottom :-)

eta:  speaking in general not in regards to your dd
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
In dd's case, she is currently in a tuition based program and wanted to try to move out of that stage. If she had realized they were really only auditioning for that sort of thing, there are companies whose auditions she would have passed on. She spread a very wide net, not knowing what the results were going to be. In some ways, it is like a very long SI season. Acceptances of some sort may arrive and you may have to decide whether to accept or reject them before you've ever had a chance to audition to other companies at all. 
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
From dd's view, as part of 2 companies for 4 years, most cattle calls are a COMPLETE waste of time and a small money maker for the program in that they invite people to the SI.  She literally knows no one who received a paid position from a true cattle call.  That is different from being invited to audition from a video.  Just my opinion, but the bigger company cattle calls are a farce. They already know what they need and most of the time, have all the positions filled. We also know dancers were invited to take class by the people in charge who absolutely knew there were zero positions available in the company - these are people who were already dancing in professional companies.  Again - a complete waste of time and money and hurt feelings and egos. It's important to ASK if they are hiring when you inquire about auditioning by class.  Even then, you may not get a straight answer.  My advice is - skip the cattle calls and audition by video in hopes of getting invited to audition in person and ask questions.  Any other way is a waste.  I'm sure people may get jobs from the much smaller regional companies and that's great if you just want to dance and don't care what city you live in, but beware of the cattle calls.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
In dd's case, she is currently in a tuition based program and wanted to try to move out of that stage. If she had realized they were really only auditioning for that sort of thing, there are companies whose auditions she would have passed on. She spread a very wide net, not knowing what the results were going to be. In some ways, it is like a very long SI season. Acceptances of some sort may arrive and you may have to decide whether to accept or reject them before you've ever had a chance to audition to other companies at all. 

My apologies... I see now how that may have come across wrong.  I wasn't questioning your dd's expectations as I know she isn't just starting out but rather is looking for her "next" opportunity... looking to move "up" that ladder.  I was just speaking generally.  Just because I've found myself somewhat surprised by what, to me, seems like some rather unrealistic expectations of many of the dancers we know/are coming across as they've entered the first phase of this game.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.