Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone seen the new Misty Copeland documentary? It's playing locally here in NJ and dd and I may go see it either tonight or tomorrow.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Not yet. Was going to rent it via Amazon, but wanted to watch it with dd who has not been home long enough to watch it since it came out. Let us know what you think if you go! 
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
OK, I think we're going tomorrow.....too much to do today.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Saw it this afternoon. Very inspirational. I'm always amazed that she didn't start dancing until she was 13.
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
It's not playing locally here in VA yet. I really want to go see it!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
You can see it at home with Amazon Prime or GooglePlay (whatever they call the place on Google where you can rent movies). That's our plan... though it hasn't happened yet!
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
It's on OnDemand here too!
Leela

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Did anyone see this last night?  It wasn't playing on our local PBS for some reason, but I was curious if it was worth purchasing to watch at home.

JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I saw the PBS airing last night.  It wasn't called A Ballerina's Tale, it was the name of a PBS show and A Ballerina's Tale was the episode name.  Sorry, though, I don't remember the name of the show.  But it was only an hour.  Is the documentary that was in theaters an hour too?
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I watched the version on Amazon.  I thought it was OK, but it was a rather slow documentary in my opinion.  I think it depends on why you would be interested in watching that would determine your interest.  I probably would not rent again if I wanted to see dancing - there is not very much dancing.  If I was interested in Copeland's accomplishments especially linked to being the first African American Principal Dancer at ABT or perhaps her tenacity in recovering from injury, then it would be worth watching. I don't think kids before middle school would be interested.  
Leela

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
I watched the version on Amazon.  I thought it was OK, but it was a rather slow documentary in my opinion.  I think it depends on why you would be interested in watching that would determine your interest.  I probably would not rent again if I wanted to see dancing - there is not very much dancing.  If I was interested in Copeland's accomplishments especially linked to being the first African American Principal Dancer at ABT or perhaps her tenacity in recovering from injury, then it would be worth watching. I don't think kids before middle school would be interested.  

Thanks so much for this.  This was exactly what I was curious about!  My dd is 7 and loved First Position and loves Misty Copeland so I thought she might enjoy this.  I will pass on the purchase if it isn't focused on her dancing.
Leela

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom
I saw the PBS airing last night.  It wasn't called A Ballerina's Tale, it was the name of a PBS show and A Ballerina's Tale was the episode name.  Sorry, though, I don't remember the name of the show.  But it was only an hour.  Is the documentary that was in theaters an hour too?

Maybe I was confused.  I saw a ton of articles and online ads about it leading up to Monday night and they always referenced the movie.  When I looked on my guide to record I didn't see anything that had to do with dance.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
It was titled "Independent Lens". It was only an hour and I'm not sure if it was an excerpt of the movie or just a different documentary. I thought it was interesting and clearly it is an enormous achievement that she is the first African American female principle at ABT. But I have to say the issue of the color of her skin really tends to overshadow her sheer talent that I see as extraordinary regardless of whether she's white, black or purple. 
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

Maybe I was confused.  I saw a ton of articles and online ads about it leading up to Monday night and they always referenced the movie.  When I looked on my guide to record I didn't see anything that had to do with dance.

It was called Independent Lens, or something like that, on the guide.  Then the episode name was A Ballerina's Tale.  I would never have seen it had I not specifically gone to look at it based on an Instagram post by Misty. 
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
It was titled "Independent Lens". It was only an hour and I'm not sure if it was an excerpt of the movie or just a different documentary. I thought it was interesting and clearly it is an enormous achievement that she is the first African American female principle at ABT. But I have to say the issue of the color of her skin really tends to overshadow her sheer talent that I see as extraordinary regardless of whether she's white, black or purple. 

Agree!  Agree!  Agree!!!  At one point in the documentary someone made a comment about her being so loud that they couldn't not make her a principal.  I didn't like that comment, it's as if they're implying that she only made principal because she was a black woman who was well known in the ballet world... so it's almost like good publicity or something.  But the fact is she deserved it just on her talent... just like any other ballerina who makes principal.  It's not fair to undermine that accomplishment by making it strictly about the color of her skin and her public appeal.
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
DD8 wants to be misty Copeland. DD is adopted from Ethiopia And it's amazing for her to see an accomplished black ballerina.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingdd
DD8 wants to be misty Copeland. DD is adopted from Ethiopia And it's amazing for her to see an accomplished black ballerina.

Aw - that's so sweet.
armydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
My dd found it on Netflix for anyone else who wants to see it!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: