Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

dtdance348

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone else see the announcement?

BREAKING NEWS!!! THE Dance Awards will now be in NEW YORK CITY and LAS VEGAS next summer!!!

The Dance Awards, Las Vegas -- June 27-July 3, 2014

The Dance Awards, NYC -- July 8-15, 2014

More info coming soon!!! Save the dates!!!

Kind of defeats what TDA set out to be, in my opinion. Even though it was probably incredibly expensive for people to be flying in to New York from around the country (and world) and staying in the heart of the city, that's what made it feel prestigious. Thoughts? 

classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I agree.  .  . But I wasn't there this year and if things were insanely crowded, then I might understand it.  As a dancemom, I would really appreciate it if they decided to do this in order to offer a less crowded event.

I honestly think that the titles THE Dance Awards and THE BEST Dancer are really silly.  As if there can be ONLY ONE BEST Dancer and as if this group identifies that person.  It's just arrogant.  Judging from the caliber of talent that the event draws, it just doesn't make sense.
beachgirl

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I didn't find it over-crowded at all this past year. And by that announcement, it kind of loses a little bit of the magic. I wonder if it was more of a marketing decision to gain more participants on that side of the country. It was a very, very expensive trip and we are doing a closer Nationals next year.

I'm wondering how this will change things (e.g. Studio of the Year, Best Dancer, etc.). Will they have two? Will they have one based on highest score between both cities? The winning studio received $25,000 in the past. Will that change? I have lots of questions now. I'm also wondering if they will combine with 24 Seven since that is also a "Break the Floor" company and their first Nationals was in Vegas this year.
HeyMickey

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
As someone living in CO, I'm thrilled to see a big name nationals come closer to us.  NYC is SO expensive.  That said, I agree that it feels like it will lose some prestige by splitting things.  I like the sense that the top schools and dancers are competing against each other, and when there are two, you have that sense of, "Who would've won if they'd gone head to head?"  By the same token, you could maybe say the thing about "Who would've won?" if you take the winners from NYCDA vs. The Dance Awards.  I guess that's just the world of competitive dance - it's unstructured, and there will never be a definitive "best."  As long as the classes offered remain of high quality and the judging remains tough, you're not actually losing anything.
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMickey
 I guess that's just the world of competitive dance - it's unstructured, and there will never be a definitive "best."  As long as the classes offered remain of high quality and the judging remains tough, you're not actually losing anything.

classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I guess I would add, that what you will find is that different comps want different things. So you will find routines that don't make the overalls nationally in one comp and then are in the top 3 in another. It can be very weird.
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl
I'm also wondering if they will combine with 24 Seven since that is also a "Break the Floor" company and their first Nationals was in Vegas this year.

Good question. According to their website, they are combining. This year 24 seven had it's own nationals but the scholarships to intensives were the same as JUMP and Nuvo. 
dmof2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I am happy to see The Dance Awards expand.  We went there 2 years ago and it was great but so expensive.  Now maybe we can go again in Vegas!
happytappyfeet

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I am somewhat disappointed in this announcement. Quite frankly I've always thought comps that had multiple nationals were just in it for the money, and that nationals didn't mean a whole lot.

As an east coaster I'd be more than happy if they wanted to rotate between the east coast and west coast each year. Even with the cost of the flight, Vegas will likely be significantly cheaper for us anyway. Given that, I think you might see quite a few east coast studios go to Vegas instead of NYC next year.
pamomma3

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I'm excited nyc is super expensive and we can drive to las Vegas. Our studio already does a summer competition In Vegas every year. It will be interesting to see how that work out the details of awards. Anyone heard what venue they are using?
MinnDanceMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I wonder if NYC will end up being East Coast dancers and Vegas will be West Coast dancers. I have always liked the fact that the dance awards attracted dancers from all over the country. New York is so much more expensive than Vegas though, so I can see how this will make the dance awards so much more affordable to so many more people.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this. I have no doubt that both nationals will be filled with talent!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytappyfeet
I am somewhat disappointed in this announcement. Quite frankly I've always thought comps that had multiple nationals were just in it for the money, and that nationals didn't mean a whole lot.

As an east coaster I'd be more than happy if they wanted to rotate between the east coast and west coast each year. Even with the cost of the flight, Vegas will likely be significantly cheaper for us anyway. Given that, I think you might see quite a few east coast studios go to Vegas instead of NYC next year.

We have a comp in Canada that used to do that with their nationals - not sure if they still do.  Years ago they were the only Canadian comp holding nationals and did one year in Ontario and one year in British Columbia.
BoosMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I heard that they are looking to either move to Cali - or open a west coast office in addition to NYC.

purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I hate the idea. What makes the dance awards so special is that there is only one. Which means one top overall studio, one national winner. It makes it great because there are amazing dancers and studios that attend. The best compete against the best. I know NYC is expensive but the dance awards attracts talent from all over. Which makes it more fun.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl
I'm also wondering if they will combine with 24 Seven since that is also a "Break the Floor" company and their first Nationals was in Vegas this year.

Good question. According to their website, they are combining. This year 24 seven had it's own nationals but the scholarships to intensives were the same as JUMP and Nuvo. 

24 Seven just announced on FB that they are joining The Dance Awards!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: