Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

Psmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curandera
I haven't watched the whole show but I absolutely am in love with Fushion and Amy(?).  They entertain the heck out of me.  The choreography was my absolute favorite.  To choreograph to that "song" AND tell a story is amazing!<br><br>The two very tall black dancers (sorry, I am awful with names) fascinate me but not so much dance skills but at how such giant humans don't fall over when dancing.  Her legs are hypnotizing.  I thought their foot work was slow for a "quick-step" but I think I like them for the wrong reason - they are just so big!<br><br>The little blond girl reminds me of my dd.  Not skill level, boy do we wish! But how she completely transforms on stage.  She really becomes the person/dance she is portraying.

I was wondering how tall they are. Considering Malece said she's 5'2" and 98 lbs they might just be average height people standing next to very small people.
Curandera

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina
Quote:
I haven't watched the whole show but I absolutely am in love with Fushion and Amy(?).  They entertain the heck out of me.  The choreography was my absolute favorite.  To choreograph to that "song" AND tell a story is amazing!

Totally agree!  Are we talking about the Triplets of Belleville/Hobo number?  That was outstanding!!!

Yeah, and it is "Fik-shun", not Fushion.  Gah, I'm awful with these names.
DancetasticsMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I love Fik-Shun and Amy!  Also Aaron and Jasmine H!

Mariah and Blueprint were sent home.
Curandera

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
Quote:
I haven't watched the whole show but I absolutely am in love with Fushion and Amy(?).  They entertain the heck out of me.  The choreography was my absolute favorite.  To choreograph to that "song" AND tell a story is amazing!<br><br>The two very tall black dancers (sorry, I am awful with names) fascinate me but not so much dance skills but at how such giant humans don't fall over when dancing.  Her legs are hypnotizing.  I thought their foot work was slow for a "quick-step" but I think I like them for the wrong reason - they are just so big!<br><br>The little blond girl reminds me of my dd.  Not skill level, boy do we wish! But how she completely transforms on stage.  She really becomes the person/dance she is portraying.
I was wondering how tall they are. Considering Malece said she's 5'2" and 98 lbs they might just be average height people standing next to very small people.

I couldn't find any info on Jasmine's (the tall dancer's name) height.  But I did find the host, Cat Deeley, is 5'9" and she wears heels on the show.  Jasmine and her partner, Aaron are usually barefoot when they stand next to her and look about the same height.
Curandera

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancetasticsMom
I love Fik-Shun and Amy!  Also Aaron and Jasmine H!

Mariah and Blueprint were sent home.

I still haven't seen the full show but I still am in disbelief from last week's show and these dancer's hip hop performance.  For this being their wheel house, it was really awful.

I agree with the decision to send them home.
Psmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Almost forgot my favorite line of the night from Mary Murphy - " You've got soul in your bowl.".
dancedreamer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Too funny. Hanging by a Thread was a really overused lyrical solo/group song when I was dancing (about 10 years ago). I always loved it but never used it because hands down there would be at least 3 or 4 16 or 17 year old lyrical solos to it at a given competition. Maybe it's time to recycle!
AvidPrayer

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Hey Ladies,
I am NOT a dance mom, only a dance lover. I follow your board because I find most of your opinions on the technical aspects of dance helpful and interesting. I've learned A LOT reading here. Anyway I follow Jasmine H. on Twitter and asked her ow tall she was a while ago because I was curious. She's 5'7.
Hope this Helps!
Psmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidPrayer
Hey Ladies, <br>I am NOT a dance mom, only a dance lover. I follow your board because I find most of your opinions on the technical aspects of dance helpful and interesting. I've learned A LOT reading here. Anyway I follow Jasmine H. on Twitter and asked her ow tall she was a while ago because I was curious. She's 5'7. <br>Hope this Helps!

Thanks! I was trying to use my geometry skills to guess earlier today. We paused the tv while she was standing with Cat Deeley and had guessed 5'8". We had to guess on the height of the heels on their shoes.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Wow I never would have guessed Cat Deeley was only 5'9. I thought she was closer to 5'11 or 6' and that Jasmine was 5'10ish. I was way off. It's a bunch of shorties on this show it seems :)
DANCEKITTY

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 

It is funny how songs make a comeback - Hanging By a Thread was very popular I remember years ago. I think our studio had a group dance to it about 5 yrs ago?? It's a beautiful song & I wouldn't worry too much about it being over used! Was it just in a recent movie or show?

Did anyone notice the recap on the show from Dance Spirit magazine today? The author basically called out Tyce for ripping off Wade Robson is season 3. I immediately thought of Wade's dance when I was watching. Not to take away from Amy & Fikshun (spl?) because they're amazing and they killed that dance!

gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Finally watched.

Re: solos, loved McKenzie. Mariah was better than the last time she had to dance for her life, but she was still well below par for her primary style on a show like STTYCD. I was really impressed w/ the intensity of Alan's bullfighter solo w/ the cape, that dance really made me notice him. The tap solo was good too, but not spectacular. Blueprint was just more of the same "not quite as good as Cyrus" animation stuff that we've seen him do more times than I can count to save himself from elimination.

I wasn't impressed w/ the Alexis/Nico routine. She is really dragging him down as a partner.

I thought the hanging thread dance was good, but I certainly wasn't as moved by it as Mary was.

Mariah and Blueprint were not good - he was better than her at the non-lift moves, but the lifts were so slow and labored looking, and choroegraphy was simple. For hip hop being their primary style, they should have been better at that dance than that IMO. Oh, and it didn't surprise me at all that she used to be a cheerleader - she seems like a cheerleader more than she does a serious hip hopper.

Malece and Alan - I actually liked him too (even though judges disagreed). She is just so cute and energetic.

Haley and Curtis - this was my favorite dance of the night. It was great to see her in something less sexualized than her other recent dances. Judges were right about his shoulders, but I guess I notice that more on girls than on guys.

Amy and Fiction - I really wasn't impressed, as usual, but apparently the judges just love them. It's actually starting to get a little annoying - like they can do no wrong w/ these judges - I don't see how that routine deserved so much more praise than Malece and Alan's.

Makenzie and Paul - loved it. Much better than Amy and Fiction. Both were really out of their element and but did an amazing job. I don't understand why she keeps getting in the bottom??

Jasmine and Aaron - I just love them. He is just too cute and she is absolutely gorgeous. They did great. That dance looked really hard. That part where he flipped her backwards was really amazing w/ her legs.

I agreed 100% w/ the judges analysis at the end (Alan's solo did save him) and w/ who they sent home. I think Alexis needs to go next for the girls so she can stop dragging down Nico.

Oh, and the call me maybe singer girl judge was completley useless - what does she know about dance? I could have done a better job commenting on the dances than her! Lol...
My2DanceLoves

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Was it just me or did anyone else notice all the flubs ?   Lots of dancers not on the same page , or the same beat.

Loved Tucker and (Jenna??)

Loved Jasmine and Aaron

Malece was awesome

That was it
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
I noticed a lot of flubs. .  Jenna and Tucker-prop issues at the end with the final strap release. . distracting.

Routines were sometimes over the heads of the pair, especially lifts which often had to be slowed down.

I thought Amy and Fikshun dug right into that piece and sold it hook line and sinker but they were lucky to have Tyce who work to choreograph to their strengths. Amy and Jenna are getting a lot of play because they are big on the comp/convention circuit. 

Frankly,  I find Amy more at home in the TV genre than Jenna. Jenna appears stand offish in this performance.  She really strikes me as someone who would really be good in a contemporary co. 

Tucker Knox is Denise Wall's student and I believe he has done some professional work--Westside Story I think (touring?)  So, I am sure that Travis asked for that pair.

I watched the Wade piece and the Tyce piece and I agree that Tyce ripped off the idea and the music style but those dances were very different.  And, actually Tyce did it much better  IMO.  The piece was really exceptional IMO
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
i agree about the prop issues being distracting. I wanted to love the dance and feel moved, but I was so focused on the prop. My dh couldn't stop laughing which probably didn't help either.

I really like MaKenzie and can't figure out why she was in the bottom 3. 

I enjoyed Fikshun and Amy. Very entertaining and they leave everything out on the dance floor.

I liked Malece as well and think she's a fantastic dancer, but for some reason I find myself not rooting for her. Maybe it's that I find it annoying they compare her to tinkerbell all the time. I don't know. I want to love her, but I just like her.

Aaron impresses me more and more each week! 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: