Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

HeyMickey

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Maggie will be 11 next year and doing an independent lyrical solo.  I seem to have a hard time finding songs that aren't either too cutesy or too mature/heavy.  Suggestions?  Optional criteria:

1) not overused
2) soft, female voice (ie, not those huge voices like Christina, Celine, etc.)
3) minimal instrumentation (a soft piano or harp or violin, for example - I would LOVE a song with a harp, but those are particularly hard to find)

In general, we both prefer "quiet" songs that allow the dancing to be very delicate. So a song where the singer belts and there's a full orchestra aren't really our style.  

Thanks for your thoughts!
Zuckermaus

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Enya.
Her CDs are a lyrical gold mine...lots of not well known but beautiful songs.
Go back to the albums Watermark and Caribbean Blue.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Ash did a lyrical solo to Keri Noble's "Leave Me in the Dark" when she was 12.  She has a gorgeous voice, but not a "powerhouse" one.  She has several albums where I'm sure you could find the perfect song for Maggie.  Good luck!!
dancedreamer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I did a group routine for 11 years old to a song called Every Heart by Sara Haze. It was really well received by the kids, judges, and audiences. Super age appropriate but also so lovely. I'd never heard it at competition before either. 
Ktyyyyyyy

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Lindsay's solo this year is to "Caged Bird" by Alicia Keys.  It is very quiet and delicate, with just piano music in the background.  I didn't love the song at first, but it has really grown on me.  She has done really well with this solo, and I have never seen it done by anybody else.
sbbrewerst

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I ditto Kerri Noble!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We did Believe by Suzi McNeil at that age 8 years ago.  I never heard it before or after and it was very well received.
cadancemom123

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Sara Haze (as mentioned by dancedreamer) might have some good songs! One of DDs friends almost did a solo to "lovely" by her. I have never heard it at a competition.
3dancers4me

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We had a girl in the studio do the song Reach by Gloria Estafan.. very pretty and upbeat.
Psmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 

A small group lyrical age 11 from our studio used this 2 years ago. It's definitely not overused and the lyrics are just beautiful
dancedancedaaance

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Sort of - Ingrid Michaelson. Love it.
dancermom128

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollythekid
breathe me

Love the song, but definitely not the right choice for an 11 year old.
Twinkletoesx2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Every Heart by Sara Haze is really pretty. Not sure if it is used a lot though.

It has that soft piano in the background that you said you both like. The lyrics are nice too and definitely age appropriate.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
Every Heart by Sara Haze is really pretty. Not sure if it is used a lot though. It has that soft piano in the background that you said you both like. The lyrics are nice too and definitely age appropriate.

This is a great song!  Not sure if I've heard it at competition very often at all but my friend's DD used it as a solo this year and it's a lovely song for any age really.
LoveJillyLilly2Dance

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
One of our girls is doing Lovely by Sara Haze and it fits her SOOOO well, she is 12
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: