Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

New2Dance2010

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
New dance mom here, hello everyone. I found this site hoping to find how to accomplish decorating/blinging my DD dream duffel, its all about the bling for her. I would like to know how to remove the unneeded luggage straps, do I sew or glue ribbon? I am crafty to an extent but barely an imagination. Please help
New2Dance2010

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Thank you for your response. I find the "luggage straps" on the top where the zipper is to be annoying, I don't use them to pick up the luggage, and have not found a use for them, only that they are in the way. Do you use them, for what? My DD carries her makeup and I wheel the duffel - she is super tiny and weighs less than 30 lbs at 6 years.
kellymom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Those luggage straps come in handy for hoisting the heavy (packed full) duffel in and out of the trunk of my car...or in and out of the back of my friend's SUV when we carpool to competitions.  I also use them when I have to move the duffel down the steps on my front walkway. I have a medium duffel, so it can get quite heavy when at "full capacity."  Unless you have the small size, you may want to re-think cutting them off--they might be needed down the road.

Good luck w/ the decorating... try some E6000 and some ribbon, fabric, rhinestones, etc. and have a blast.  I think the Dream Duffel facebook page and/or website has photos of decorated duffels if you need some inspiration.
KN8Max Mom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I am not very crafty so I took our patches to an embroidery shop I paid $40 for 2 patches.  One has her name the other has her studio name both have are also stoned.

I think the Dream Duffel facebook page has some examples and I know there are some pictures posted here. 

Joann's has some rhinestone letter girls names:
http://www.joann.com/me-my-big-ideas-rhinestone-name-stickers-girl-names/prd55308/

I would recommend gluing them with Gem-Tac or E6000.
New2Dance2010

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I have a small dream duffel, thank you for all the input, much appreciated
Puffle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I will second the suggestion to buy pre-made rhinestone 'forms.' I think I bought some for dd's Stanley at Michael's. They had words like 'dance,' '5,6,7,8,' and 'star' as well as her name. Then they had stars, and pointe shoes. It was MUCH easier to use these than try to actually form out what I wanted. Also, E6000. Can't love it enough.
zachjessmom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I actually just used a good fabric glue and also a couple of iron on bling designs to put on the patches. I also used ribbon that my DD chose. We just got the dream duffel this year and will be using it for the first time this weekend. Also, I only used my dd's first initial instead of her first name. 
bandsmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I used a painstaking approach but got gorgeous results.

I don't like the adhesive rhinestone appliques- I wanted the true swarovski shine.  So I googled for rhinestone fonts (they are out there, some even free).  If you have a silhouette, you can easily make a stencil to use to place the stones to form letters, I don't so I enlarged the font on my printer and used a small hole punch to punch each hole and create my own stencil.  Then I used a grease pencil to mark a small dot in each hole onto the patch.  After that I used E6000 and adhered SS20 Swarovskis to each grease pencil/mark.

It looks lovely (better than it appears in the picture), and the sparkle is over the top!

Here is the patch with the girl's names, and our other patch is our studio initials.  

Just an idea.  Hope it helps!
New2Dance2010

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Nice job bandsmom! I did some blinging, took a pic but unsure how to upload to show from ipad.
Puffle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
OMG Bandsmom, you are way more motivated than I. I tip my E6000 to you. 
bandsmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 

I blinged up some fishnets today I am beginning to feel like a pro!  

@Newtodance2010 if you upload the pic to a photo site like photobucket or fickr it will give you a link that you can post here!    Would love to see!

Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Here are some pictures of ours. We used E6000 to glue on the ribbon and the bows. The letters are pre-made from AC Moore and cost $1 each, and the stars are foam pieces.

Pocket view:

Top Patch:

Second patch:
Puffle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
That looks very pretty! Yay for you!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: