Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
lbgarner

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Any guesses for the most overplayed songs at competitions this upcoming season? 

I predict "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons and any new Taylor Swift
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
"What's My Name" from Descendants 2 since "Rotten to the Core" was overdone from the original
lbgarner

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yep![rolleyes] It was so overdone. 
jackilvsmath

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Praying.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackilvsmath
Praying.

I agree and we of course are dancing to it [rolleyes]
jackilvsmath

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We are too! 🙄
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Perhaps...Love so Soft 
Totally agree with those so far!
(my daughter wanted whats my name.. took a month for her to realize no means no!)  Although her team mate is dancing to rotten to the core this year!
Cupcake

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We have a "Thunder" Lol!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
For whatever it's worth.... Overdone in one region/at one comp may barely be done at all in/at another.  Just saying.... for those who get worried.  What matters most is if the kids love the song, not if the audience is going to roll their eyes and say "again???".  And the judges?  They don't really care.  It's not going to influence the score
Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I don't see any of those song in the competition/convention this weekend
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I don't see any of those on the comp list from Tremaine this past weekend either. I see "Feel it Still" and we're using that for a large group routine this year. Meh. Everyone may have it but I think it's what you do with the music that matters most. And the girls all love it. 
MagnoliaDanceMom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
My vote is on Praying as well...
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew
I don't see any of those on the comp list from Tremaine this past weekend either. I see "Feel it Still" and we're using that for a large group routine this year. Meh. Everyone may have it but I think it's what you do with the music that matters most. And the girls all love it. 

I agree with you here.  SO much of how a routine affects me emotionally is because of the music choice.  An otherwise amazing choreography can be flattened by a crummy song.  If it's a good song, and it works with the dance...I don't think it can be overused.
sarahannexo

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydancemom
"What's My Name" from Descendants 2 since "Rotten to the Core" was overdone from the original

LOL You beat me to it!!!!!
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
For whatever it's worth.... Overdone in one region/at one comp may barely be done at all in/at another.  Just saying.... for those who get worried.  What matters most is if the kids love the song, not if the audience is going to roll their eyes and say "again???".  And the judges?  They don't really care.  It's not going to influence the score

I agree- my kids do some pretty standard songs solowise and always do very well. If it works it works. I will say it’s the trendy new radio songs that tend to irk me. We rarely if ever do those. But basically if it works it works so go for it in my opinion.
lbgarner

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKDAD
I agree- my kids do some pretty standard songs solowise and always do very well. If it works it works. I will say it’s the trendy new radio songs that tend to irk me. We rarely if ever do those. But basically if it works it works so go for it in my opinion.
  Yeah, trendy Top 40 irk me too although I have seen them done and been impressed.
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Well I did let my daughter pick this year - and we picked a song that was on the radio just for a brief second this summer (phew!)  - But she does connect waay more with it than last years song!
PastrySugar

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Lol! We are so worried about doing a song that we think may be over done, so no one does it!
gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Ugh, I hate this perennial topic. We all snicker about our ears bleeding if we hear xyz one more time, but we never stop to think that that is someones daughter dancing her little heart out on stage.  Surely you can stand to hear some random song one more time for their sake
lbgarner

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I rarely post for that reason. 
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
I actually think it's kind of fun to see a few different dances to the same song and see how different choreographers and dancers handle the same music.  But I also think it's fun to try to predict what the "overused" songs are going to be.  I don't think any less of anyone who dances to those songs.  

nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancedaughters
I actually think it's kind of fun to see a few different dances to the same song and see how different choreographers and dancers handle the same music.  But I also think it's fun to try to predict what the "overused" songs are going to be.  I don't think any less of anyone who dances to those songs.  

I did too, until...  Our group and another group had both used "shake the room" last year.  (and many others did too, lol).  Then next time we saw them in competition, they had part of our choreography!  Not cool.  (pretty obvious as it included new stage props).  Yikes.

louandgrace

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
I was really worried last year as my daughter (8) had "Evil Like Me" from Descendants. She picked it and loved it and really clicked with the song and the choreo. On this site it had been in the overused comments so often and often accompanied with rolling eye smilies like the Descendants songs are on this thread and that unnerved me more than it should have.

Anyway, she came home with 2nd place, and 2 x 3rd places in her competitions last season, despite the fact that it so often came into threads like this. It was her best year of dance. The examiner of one festival actually asked the dance teacher what the song was so that he could use it in a pantomime.

So, if you see your child's solos in these lists, try not to worry. Good judges aren't going to hold it against their technique. A good dance is a good dance even if a bunch of eye rolling parents consider it "overused"
nicknoralove

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #24 
It's funny because one of my daughter's groups is to Broadway Banana (wearing yellow costumes) and I'm seeing on YouTube that this has sort of been done to death. But I can't help but LOVE the song and the routine.  
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
If it makes you feel any better, I haven't heard of any of these. [biggrin]

My daughter has had both unknown songs and very popular songs. I really don't think it affected her score. Remember, songs are popular for a reason - people like hearing it. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.