Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
heikedog

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Are there any quality short residential SI programs? DD, a freshly minted 12, has celiac disease (gluten-free diet), and while I'm now confident she can, and will, advocate for herself regarding food, I don't want to throw all caution to the wind and send her away for 5-6 weeks. She's a decent little dancer ... two years en pointe and placed pre-comp at YAGP. She'll attend her home school SI through the end of June so I'm looking for something in July-August. Icing on the cake would be something in TX. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Ballet Austin and Ballet West both have three week sessions
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
CPYB has a 2 week session in August, I think.  Oregon Ballet Theatre has a 2 week session from August 7 – August 19.
wvpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
CPYB can be one or two weeks in August (your choice), but it is not a residential program. No housing is provided/included.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I second the CPYB 2 week program, but it does not have housing. Rock School in Philadelphia has a 6 week program that you can break down in to smaller chunks of time. You would then loose out on the 2 performances and not be included in the afternoon rehearsal. 
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Joffrey has 1-2 week sessions.
heikedog

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like I've got some research to do!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
CPYB doesn't offer housing, but there are host families that could be an option.  I think BTFD CPYB SI thread usually has info about housing options.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 

I'll chime and say Ballet Austin was excellent about food issues when dd attended. Dd is thinking about going back for a 3rd time though she never attended as a younger dancer so I can't vouch for the program at that age as well. They can have as much freedom as you allow. Ballet Austin allows you to designate from 3 different levels of supervision. I do remember that one of her close friends from that program has celiac as well. 

Texas Ballet Theater also has a 3 week option. ABT-TX is 4 weeks I believe. 

Dd has a food issue that is not quite as restrictive as gluten can be. She found the cafeteria people at Ballet Austin and those at ABT-CA to be the best with managing that. Very responsive, helpful and had alternatives for her without her even having to ask. Many residential programs deal with dancers who cannot or won't eat gluten. 

RebelSwan

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
RWB has a 2 week with option to stay.  They haven't posted this year's intensive yet though.  I think it normally begins the first week of August.  The prices are in Canadian, at the moment our dollar is worth about 35 cents less than the U.S.$ so it would be a bargain.  My daughter is 12, will be 13 by then.  We are local and I hope to send her this year.

http://rwb.org/school

heikedog

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks for all the information.  I'm hoping to find a few minutes to chat with DD's teacher today about good options for her.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.