Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
lovinmylife

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter has been doing jazz solos for several years.  Next year her DT is wanting to do lyrical/contemporary and wants a song of course that isn't common.  Any suggestions?
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
What music does your 10 year old like? A solo works best if the dancer and the DT both connect to the song.

Maybe find a different cover of a popular song that she really likes?

Good luck. I'm sorry I know I'm not really being helpful, but a little more information would help us help you.
lovinmylife

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crafty1
What music does your 10 year old like? A solo works best if the dancer and the DT both connect to the song.

Maybe find a different cover of a popular song that she really likes?

Good luck. I'm sorry I know I'm not really being helpful, but a little more information would help us help you.

She would love to do Radioactive but her DT said no to that as someone did it this year. She likes Girl on Fire. We haven't ran it by the choreographer yet as he wants her to give him three options. We are a little lost since this is her first solo that isn't jazz or musical theater.

I appreciate any help!
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Now that the season is over, I'll share the song my daughter used. She was 10 for the season, the dance was labeled lyrical, but had many contemporary elements. It's called Strange Birds by Birdy. The 2nd verse was cut out in the cut we used.
Robynb79

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
This year we had two girls do amazing solos, both were 11, in 5th grade. One did a more contemporary routine to "Metamorphasis" it was beautiful, but had no word. The other was more lyrical and was to a song called "I'm in here".
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinmylife
My daughter has been doing jazz solos for several years.  Next year her DT is wanting to do lyrical/contemporary and wants a song of course that isn't common.  Any suggestions?

DD10 did a lyrical solo to Black Tree. It had a black tree prop, with which she would interact. My daughter's strength is expressing emotion with technique finally improving.
tlcmommi4

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My daughter had her first solo last year.  I thought it was lyrical but was surprised at the first competition when it was in Contemporary.  

This year I chose her song and contacted her teacher to see if she liked it and approved it.  She ignored me for a month.  Then right before Nationals asked me what the song was again.  I responded and then sent her a link to it.  She said she really liked it.  I thought that was a go.  Then a week later she said solos hadn't been chosen yet and that they would decide who was doing a solo after Nationals.  The 3 teachers would sit down and choose the students and then decide what type of solo and which one of them would choreograph and teach it to each student.  We basically have no say in any of it.  Which seems to be the norm.  But I didnt realize that until this month.  She just finished her second year on team and first year with a solo.  We started late.  She went to another studio for 2 years prior to this one.  A non-competitive very LAID BACK studio.  So compared to all the girls on team my child is late to the game.   They have all been at the studio since 2-3 years old and started competitive dance at 5 on mini team.  Most of their moms actually danced for the studio too ... small town struggles.  I did not grow up here as a young child.  I moved here in 8th grade.  From the north (gasp).... an outsider to say the least.  32 years later I am still a damn yankee  [wink]  
lovinmylife

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcmommi4
My daughter had her first solo last year.  I thought it was lyrical but was surprised at the first competition when it was in Contemporary.  

This year I chose her song and contacted her teacher to see if she liked it and approved it.  She ignored me for a month.  Then right before Nationals asked me what the song was again.  I responded and then sent her a link to it.  She said she really liked it.  I thought that was a go.  Then a week later she said solos hadn't been chosen yet and that they would decide who was doing a solo after Nationals.  The 3 teachers would sit down and choose the students and then decide what type of solo and which one of them would choreograph and teach it to each student.  We basically have no say in any of it.  Which seems to be the norm.  But I didnt realize that until this month.  She just finished her second year on team and first year with a solo.  We started late.  She went to another studio for 2 years prior to this one.  A non-competitive very LAID BACK studio.  So compared to all the girls on team my child is late to the game.   They have all been at the studio since 2-3 years old and started competitive dance at 5 on mini team.  Most of their moms actually danced for the studio too ... small town struggles.  I did not grow up here as a young child.  I moved here in 8th grade.  From the north (gasp).... an outsider to say the least.  32 years later I am still a damn yankee  [wink]  

I won't hold it against you for being a "damn yankee" [wink] 

We are fairly new to this studio as well and from what I see the parents have quite a bit of say in the song choice?!  Although I have to admit it is not my strong suit.  I want a song that my daughter loves but that is appropriate for her and I feel like that's a bit out of my league. 

I'm really liking the Strange Bird suggestion.  Metamorphosis was done here last year by a couple older girls in a duet and it was breathtaking.  Still trying to come up with the list and this is hard!  Thanks everyone for your help.
JSDance

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Set Me On Fire- Bella Ferraro
Fireflies- Amanda Falk
Don't You Worry Child- Beth
Dream- Drehz
danceteenager

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 

All We Do- Oh Wonder
I Believe- Christina Perri
Bird Girl- Antony and the Johnsons
Saturn- Sleeping At Last
To Build A Home- The Cinematic Orchestra 
Silhouette- Birdy

madkat101

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Afire Love - Ed Sheeran
Kindly Calm Me Down - Meghan Trainor
Heartbeat - Mackenzie Bourg
I'll Be Home - Meghan Trainor
Not About Angels - Birdy
T-Shirt - Birdy
Sink or Swim - Lewis Watson
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.